Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Can some people not lose weight no matter how hard they try?
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Valerian

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 9:08 am
Please share your dishes you made!
So interesting, I went off dairy and gluten for a few weeks, and followed the blood type diet, and a rash that I had for years disappeared and so did fat on my body (the scale didn't budge tho)

freilich

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 9:10 am
Ya...especially if they eat chocolate..

amother
Amethyst

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:05 am
I mean, I'm sure I'd lose the weight if I ate 800 calories a day, I'm just not willing to live like that. I'll stick with the extra padding, thanks. And yes, it absolutely is more difficult for some people to lose weight for various reasons, anyone saying otherwise is either straight up stupid, selling you something, or gaslighting you.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:09 am
Reality wrote:
About the holocaust, I remember reading a memoir from a woman who wrote how she really struggled with her weight before the war. She wrote about how she would do these spa treatments and go bike riding and diet but she couldn't lose weight.

When she was on a death march at the end of the war she was not as skinny as the other girls. When they would have a break, some of her friends were crying they were so cold, they can't go on. She sat on her friends legs to warm them up and saved their lives.

So what that doctor said was not only beyond disgusting, it wasn't true. Most people are too embarrassed to write what this brave woman wrote about herself. The shame around weight is just too great to expose ones self.

This is definitely true. I regulate heat brilliantly. I need minus figures outside to need a warm coat and gloves. Fat is a great insulator. What a lovely story of fat saving the day! Do you have a link to the memoir?

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:11 am
amother Iris wrote:
Hashem created everyone differently. Some people are meant to be bigger. It’s not the weight that defines if you’re healthy or not. It’s whether you’re active, eating healthy foods, and your body is functioning the way it should. If labs look good, keep eating healthy and doing exercise and don’t worry about the number. There are skinny ppl who have multiple health issues too. skinny does not equal healthy.

Finally some sense!! Instead of all the fat shaming on imamother.

amother
Clear

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:12 am
amother Oatmeal wrote:
I did the sleeve almost a year ago wanted to lose 65 lbs I lost around 30 lbs. Lost very slowly in the beginning and have been stalling since like pesach. I've been exercising and drinking water eating healthy and the scale won't budge. Happy I lost the 30 lbs but wish I can figure out how to lose more. I don't want to take medicine...

Some people are not prepared to take the risks of the sleeves. Despite the many documented successes, there can be complications and horror stories years later. I think we are moving towards a day when the sleeve is going to be almost mandatory for fatter people, it horrifies me.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:15 am
amother Hotpink wrote:
Did you try keto? Only asking because you said low carb but yes fruit. For some people they need to be in ketosis to actually start burning far.

I think some people just have the odds stacked against them, but I don't believe "their DNA is programmed that way". Indigenous societies have zero cases of obesity and just 50-100 years ago even western countries most people were slim. Genes don't change that quickly. Its something in our environment and the way were eating plus genetic predisposition of course. This isn't meant to point fingers, I am overweight myself. I just think being accurate and scientific will eventually be helpful in discovering how to help ourselves. Fwiw, labs coming back normal doesn't mean much. Standard labs barely scratch the surface of what's going on in our bodies.

No, there are people who do have DNA to be heavy. I don't come from indigenous genes. Our grandmothers' bubbies in europe certainly were heavy (not all obviously, but plenty were), and yes, the genes got passed down.
Look at babies who are just heavier and chubbier and stay that way growing up. They're eating wrong when their breastfeeding??
Some people are just created larger than others.

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:29 am
amother Viola wrote:
No there’s no such thing. There’s something you’re doing wrong. My dr said to me, in the Holocaust not one person stayed heavy. If you don’t take in more calories than necessary you lose weight.

Are you drinking at least 8 oz of water every day? Eating healthy fats? What are you eating in a day? If you eat too little your body stores up fat because it goes into starvation mode.

I tried every diet and would lose some and then gain again, until I did high protein, low carb. I did no fruit (that turns to sugar just like candy does). Veggies, lots of healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil), any proteins I want… lost over 70 lbs.— best diet ever, no hunger.

Wow, you are so so wrong.

In the holocaust no one stayed heavy because they starved. Of course OP would lose weight if she would ch'v starve. But she wants to live. And cutting back on calories isn't helping her lose weight, unless she goes on a starvation diet.

Eating less does not make everyone lose weight. Eating less is not the same as starvation.

And "No, there's no such thing. There's something you're doing wrong"- Thank Hashem that you don't have the challenge she has. Because I have had that and it's such a hard situation, to know that you are trying harder than everyone you know and just not losing weight.
If you were in her shoes, you would not say that. Such a judgmental and narrow minded perspective.

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:49 am
amother Sunflower wrote:
No, there are people who do have DNA to be heavy. I don't come from indigenous genes. Our grandmothers' bubbies in europe certainly were heavy (not all obviously, but plenty were), and yes, the genes got passed down.
Look at babies who are just heavier and chubbier and stay that way growing up. They're eating wrong when their breastfeeding??
Some people are just created larger than others.
Of course you come from indigenous genes. We all do. With very rare exceptions, going back a few generations most people were slim. The facts are obesity rates are climbing rapidly. Genes don’t change that quickly. It’s our environment. Not just what we’re eating but the states of our guts, nervous systems, detoxification systems, hormonal systems are all compromised. Many of us are born that way.

emi1812

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 10:59 am
amother Viola wrote:
No there’s no such thing. There’s something you’re doing wrong. My dr said to me, in the Holocaust not one person stayed heavy. If you don’t take in more calories than necessary you lose weight.

Are you drinking at least 8 oz of water every day? Eating healthy fats? What are you eating in a day? If you eat too little your body stores up fat because it goes into starvation mode.

I tried every diet and would lose some and then gain again, until I did high protein, low carb. I did no fruit (that turns to sugar just like candy does). Veggies, lots of healthy fats (avocados, olive oil, coconut oil), any proteins I want… lost over 70 lbs.— best diet ever, no hunger.

Lol not true. I have relatives who were heavier but during the Holocaust they wasted away from literally being starved and malnourished.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Fri, Nov 25 2022, 2:39 pm
amother OP wrote:
amen thanks. I did write down for first 6 weeks but I eat almost the same thing every day so I know what I'm eating now.

If you are eating the same thing every day and not losing, you may want to check with a nutritionist, perhaps the menu you are using is not beneficial to you.

Also, something I notice with myself, when I stopped measuring and weighing my foods the amounts slowly crept up. little bit by little bit...

amother
Khaki

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 8:15 am
So I started INtermittent fasting 16/8 and definitely have a calorie deficit, and yet my scale didn’t move for the first 2 weeks. Sad. Should I still go on?

amother
Papayawhip

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 8:53 am
following
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise