Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Giving Gifts
Teachers Gift
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next

what would be a real substantial Chanukah gift for a teacher looking to give a lot but don't want to be inappropriate
 62%  [ 45 ]
 16%  [ 12 ]
 11%  [ 8 ]
 2%  [ 2 ]
 6%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 72

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 10:54 am
I would totally appreciate but feel weird if I got an envelope with more than $200 cash from a a parent, but I also think a big gift is a waste of money. I think a cash-like gift card is the way to go, and you could even not label the amount- just let them find out when they use it. And I think up to $1000 is reasonable like that (but you could do 1000 now, again Purim, pesach, end of year)

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:00 am
I don't think anyone would appreciate a $25,000 gift when they're struggling to pay bills.

I also think $1000 is the absolute max you can give without it being too weird and only if you're known to be wealthy.

notshanarishona

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 11:00 am
amother OP wrote:
thanks for the reply as a teacher can you please give me insight how high I can go that I won't be considered weird or flaunting

The most I ever got from one parent was $200 but that was unusual. Most people give between $10-50.

aquarius1

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:29 pm
I would give $250 which is very generous but not inappropriate and if you want to give something like $1000 or more, ask the teacher or school for sponsorship opportunities.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 12:38 pm
Do they have kids in the school you could offer to pay tuition for?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 2:29 pm
If I would be your child's teacher, I would be thrilled if you give me 10k in cash. (I'm living with a financially abusive spouse and any money I get that he doesn't know about is spent on stuff that are really important to me- like therapy, and extras.)
I know 10k is not "regular", but I would be so appreciative and wouldn't think of it as flaunting.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:39 pm
seems to me that across the board everyone thinks the max is $1000 and I can give that a few times a year chanukah purim tu bshvat shavuos and end of year wasn't sure between that and 5000 thought a thousand but heard from cousin who is a teacher in a well to do school that every year she has a few people that give $500 present a few times a year and one or two parents that give 1000 a few times a year and every few years they have that parent that gives 5000 a few times a year I thought that this isn't regular and is considered flaunting (she told me she doesn't think so and just really appreciate it when someone giver her that) but seems like most people here think it would be inappropriate so will stick to that number of 1000 please confirm with me if you feel I am right or wrong? and thank you for your input

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:46 pm
amother OP wrote:
seems to me that across the board everyone thinks the max is $1000 and I can give that a few times a year chanukah purim tu bshvat shavuos and end of year wasn't sure between that and 5000 thought a thousand but heard from cousin who is a teacher in a well to do school that every year she has a few people that give $500 present a few times a year and one or two parents that give 1000 a few times a year and every few years they have that parent that gives 5000 a few times a year I thought that this isn't regular and is considered flaunting (she told me she doesn't think so and just really appreciate it when someone giver her that) but seems like most people here think it would be inappropriate so will stick to that number of 1000 please confirm with me if you feel I am right or wrong? and thank you for your input

Wow, I want to come to your school. Where I am $50 is generous!
But yeah $1000 a few times a year is great

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 3:50 pm
amother Jetblack wrote:
Wow, I want to come to your school. Where I am $50 is generous!
But yeah $1000 a few times a year is great

you didn't read beginning not trying to flaunt Rov told us first place we should give our money

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
you didn't read beginning not trying to flaunt Rov told us first place we should give our money

It's very community specific

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:23 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
It's very community specific

please explain what you mean what is community specific? and would you have details what the differences are in different communities

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
please explain what you mean what is community specific? and would you have details what the differences are in different communities

I worked in many schools. In some schools the norm was 10,20, etc. In other schools, many parents gave in the 100s. I've heard of another school where parents give 1000s.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:35 pm
I worked in many schools. In some schools the norm was 10,20, etc. In other schools, many parents gave in the 100s. I've heard of another school where parents give 1000s.

are they different communities or just different schools do you mind sharing where?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
are they different communities or just different schools do you mind sharing where?

All in Brooklyn. Ultra-chasidish, Chasidish, Yeshivish and Sphardi.
The Ultra-chasidish gave about 10-20 with some higher (upto 100-180), The Chasidish had many between 20-30 and quite a few 100s (100-500), Yeshivish gave 10-50, I heard about a sphardi school where many give in the thousands.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 4:42 pm
All in Brooklyn. Ultra-chasidish, Chasidish, Yeshivish and Sphardi.
The Ultra-chasidish gave about 10-20 with some higher (upto 100-180), The Chasidish had many between 20-30 and quite a few 100s (100-500), Yeshivish gave 10-50, I heard about a sphardi school where many give in the thousands.

Thank you anyone have info on Lakewood in upper end School

amother
Dimgray

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:23 pm
The most I ever got from a parent is 100 and they gave that chanuka and purim. It was very appreciated.

I personally would feel uncomfortable getting more than 100-150 maybe even 200 if I went out of the way for that kid... I would feel like someone is giving me tzedaka- which bh I don't need.
I look at a tip as a token of appreciation, not as a handout. Once you get into huge numbers, it comes across as a handout.
Is this teacher particularly struggling financially. Many teachers want to get paid more because they feel like they aren't getting fair pay. They feel like they deserve more money. Not all teachers are poor and struggling financially.

This is just from my personal perspective. Could be your child's teacher would appreciate it more than I would...

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:24 pm
delete

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:32 pm
amother Dimgray wrote:
The most I ever got from a parent is 100 and they gave that chanuka and purim. It was very appreciated.

I personally would feel uncomfortable getting more than 100-150 maybe even 200 if I went out of the way for that kid... I would feel like someone is giving me tzedaka- which bh I don't need.
I look at a tip as a token of appreciation, not as a handout. Once you get into huge numbers, it comes across as a handout.
Is this teacher particularly struggling financially. Many teachers want to get paid more because they feel like they aren't getting fair pay. They feel like they deserve more money. Not all teachers are poor and struggling financially.

This is just from my personal perspective. Could be your child's teacher would appreciate it more than I would...

after researching extensively talking to a family member I know I heard one is really struggling financially

amother
Lightblue

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:37 pm
As a teacher I appreciate any gift that a parent gives me.
Of course getting a check for 10000 would be amazing it would litterly help me get put of debt.
OP please do what YOU feel comfortable giving it doesn't matter what others think. If you are happy with your child's teacher then give them how ever much you want!

amother
OP

Post Thu, Nov 24 2022, 5:39 pm
amother Lightblue wrote:
As a teacher I appreciate any gift that a parent gives me.
Of course getting a check for 10000 would be amazing it would litterly help me get put of debt.
OP please do what YOU feel comfortable giving it doesn't matter what others think. If you are happy with your child's teacher then give them how ever much you want!

seriously if we would give 25k or 50k a teacher it wouldn't be considered inappropriate and have people talking about it... don't want any of that just looking to help out and show our appreciation
so what is the highest number we can give and still fall into this category
Page 2 of 7   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next Recent Topics