Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Was it worth it? Getting a degree
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:32 pm
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting a degree? I recently finished my masters degree and started working. The salary is okay, but not great. I think working off the books as a babysitter would pay the same or more. Anyone else feel the same? Do you think it was worth getting a degree? I hope this is just a new grad issue and that it gets better.

amother
Poppy

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:34 pm
I don’t know what you got your masters in, but you do have a point. I’m getting a masters in something that starting salary is over 100k so I don’t feel like it will be a waste. However, getting a degree in something that starting salary isn’t much of a difference had you not gotten a degree, I think is a wage of time unless you absolutely love the field.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:36 pm
amother Poppy wrote:
I don’t know what you got your masters in, but you do have a point. I’m getting a masters in something that starting salary is over 100k so I don’t feel like it will be a waste. However, getting a degree in something that starting salary isn’t much of a difference had you not gotten a degree, I think is a wage of time unless you absolutely love the field.

Starting salary in my field and city is 90-120k.

amother
Melon

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:37 pm
I have my degree in one of the therapies and don't regret it. Even if I won't get rich from the job, I get paid more than I would without it. And its a great thing to have. One can choose not to use their degree if they think they can do better without it but I personally think its worth it, especially if someone doesn't have a family business or talent to rely on.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:

You cant get that much from babysitting.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:41 pm
amother Khaki wrote:

Yes you do...

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:46 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Yes you do...

Really? Please do the math for me, really curious to hear how.

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:48 pm
amother Khaki wrote:
Really? Please do the math for me, really curious to hear how.

Off the books
Where I live it's 8bper hour
11 kids
830 to 330
Full year

amother
Daffodil

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:49 pm
amother OP wrote:

What's your field and hours

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:50 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Off the books
11 kids
830 to 330
Full year

The money isn’t split between two Morah’s? 1:11 ratio?

Don’t mean to turn this into a babysitting ratio thread but trying to clarify that number.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:52 pm
Many women would not be capable of holding a 90-120k job while raising kids without serious burnout

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:55 pm
amother Valerian wrote:
The money isn’t split between two Morah’s? 1:11 ratio?

Don’t mean to turn this into a babysitting ratio thread but trying to clarify that number.

So think $12/ hour 8:30 to 6 for 6 kids 5 days a week. Basically full time + commute

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:56 pm
I don't think this is a simple question.

In general, if one gets a Masters or other advanced degree (or even a degree) is will prepare one for a job that is more fulfilling than baby sitting.

In general the "professional" job will often have other benefits including better corporate benefits.

Whatever the salary is, presumably there is potential for growth so your starting salary is just the start and there is growth potential.

Often a degree or advanced degree opens up other doors in related fields

Obviously one considers how well paying certain fields are and balances that with whether one would enjoy those fields. You couldn't pay me enough to be a CPA but I do have an interest and aptitude for a well paying career that requires an advance degree.

Do you really want to be a babysitter for the rest of your life? Not much room for advancement - generally no benefits. Seems pretty short range to me

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:57 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
Off the books
11 kids
830 to 330
Full year

They don't get paid for sick days and yom tov. Many of the kids of the 11 kids, are not sending for the full 7 hours either.

And 11 kids by yourself for 7 hours a day.... I have no words.

I was brought up to believe that college was wrong. I am since very much convinced that college is the far, far better alternative. Do you really believe doing the above is even a little bit ethical?????

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:58 pm
amother Crocus wrote:
So think $12/ hour 8:30 to 6 for 6 kids 5 days a week. Basically full time + commute

Which planet is this on?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 12:58 pm
amother Khaki wrote:

After I pay taxes compared to a babysitter working off the books the take home salary isn't that different.

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:00 pm
the issue isn't degree vs. no degree. It's being ethical vs not.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:01 pm
I can't tell you whether your degree is worth it or not.

But it definitely is worth it to live a yashar life. Working off the books is illegal.

(Cross posted with broom)

Last edited by Hashem_Yaazor on Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:01 pm
amother Daffodil wrote:
What's your field and hours

I prefer not to say my field, but its considered a good field. The salary is for full time. Babysitters in my area charge 8-12 an hour. The less hours you use them, the more they charge an hour.

amother
Calendula

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 1:02 pm
amother OP wrote:
Sometimes I wonder if it was worth getting a degree? I recently finished my masters degree and started working. The salary is okay, but not great. I think working off the books as a babysitter would pay the same or more. Anyone else feel the same? Do you think it was worth getting a degree? I hope this is just a new grad issue and that it gets better.

I’m a social Worker. I have an MSW. My salary is fair, my benefits are awesome but more than that: I find the work fulfilling and I enjoy every day. I can’t say the same (for me) about being a babysitter.

Eta I would never work off the books. It’s completely unethical.
Page 1 of 8   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  Next Recent Topics