Home

How much money should I save?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

amother

OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:29 pm
My husband gets a thrill balancing the bank. He likes when we have no money. For example. He paid up all the bills for next month and is left with $1,000. His thought, "what should I do with this $1,000 that is sitting in the bank." We basically have no savings and I keep telling him that most normal people save money. He told me to give him a goal and he will save that amount of money. I own a house and have a 401 K which I contribute biweekly.
How much money is it normal to have in savings? What do people do, just save and save and save? Or, do people invest.
What should I tell him our goal should be?

amother

Pistachio

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:39 pm
First step is to have 3-6 months of daily living expenses set aside in case of emergency. If you need 2K a month to pay the bills, save 6-12K in a liquid form.

What's your retirement plan?

Do you have kids? Invest in their future- start saving for their college/sem/wedding expenses. I'd say minimum 20K per kid, as a goal if you can

amother

Linen

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:45 pm
Wrong section?

amother

OP

Post Sun, Nov 27 2022, 10:56 pm
amother Linen wrote:
Wrong section?

how do I change the section?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

View latest: 24h 48h 72h

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Budgeting & Bargains