Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
How to care for expensive wood table

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 1:19 pm
Within the first few weeks it got weird smudges and stains that don’t come off Crying even though we always covered it with a tablecloth and never put anything hot or cold directly on the tablecloth.

Then we bought a glass cover because that’s what everyone said but it makes no sense to me why would we get a gorgeous wood table if it needs to always be covered with a glass?? Anyways, the first week with the glass some drink spilled and got caught between the glass and wood and we only discovered after shabbos and even after wiping and letting dry there’s still watermarks. Then I’m the process of getting under the glass we nicked the wood in 2 places so now it also has scratches.

I’m so sad and frustrated. We don’t even have little kids! Is this just how wood tables are? Like it’s not meant for eating on?? Anything we can do going forward so we don’t have to feel so neurotic and careful around it? I want to be able to enjoy it with just a cloth and no plastic on shabbos, and the beautiful wood look during the week. Is this a dream?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:09 pm
Bump. Nobody has an expensive wood dining table?

amother
Stoneblue

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:13 pm
Can you call the person you bought it from and ask?
(I don’t have an expensive wood table.)

gingleale

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 10:55 pm
You need to get table pads to go under the cloth and protect the table when you are using it.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:09 pm
gingleale wrote:
You need to get table pads to go under the cloth and protect the table when you are using it.

They sell these pads which are fitted for the table. They go under the tablecloth. They have to be used to protect the surface if using cloth tablecloths.

You have to be careful with wood tables. There really isn’t any trick to it. If you use every day, you might want to use pretty plastic tablecloths but over the pads to be safe. Always use trivets for anything hot, cold or even damp. Err on the side of caution.

There are very durable finishes like you would find in a bar that you can have applied. My mother did this for her dining room table.

If the damage is done, there are tricks to get rid of watermarks that can be tried. Also touch up pastes and there are companies which aren’t refinishers but fix up damaged wood furniture for minor stuff.

Also you don’t want to use pledge or similar types of sprays as they harm the finish and cause streaks. Endust is okay. I have a wood table with a shiny surface and I was told Endust only and a certain kind of polish used every six months or so, I have the name

But yes. Wood furniture needs to be treated with respect.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:38 pm
Talk to the store that sold it to you for cleaning/care recommendations.

We recently got a new dining room table- gorgeous, high gloss wood and we got very specific instructions.

1)Order table pads. It is worth the $300+ investment. It protects the table.

2)Clean with soft cotton cloths that are slightly damp. No cleansers or products.

3) If we don't have the table pads on, we don't put anything on the table. We don't want to scratch it or ruin the wood. It's a pain but I wanted a pretty table so now I need to deal with it!

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 1:17 am
I’m buying now, so this interests me.

Im wondering if it always needs to be covered by table pads or tablecloth or else it’ll get ruined, when do you get to appreciate the beauty of it? It’s always covered.

Or do some of you just make sure no one goes near it during the week and that’s when it’s uncovered and you see its beauty?

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 9:09 am
amother Violet wrote:

Im wondering if it always needs to be covered by table pads or tablecloth or else it’ll get ruined, when do you get to appreciate the beauty of it? It’s always covered.

Or do some of you just make sure no one goes near it during the week and that’s when it’s uncovered and you see its beauty?

The pads are used only when you are using the table. So the table is a beautiful design element in the room without the pads and no tablecloth.

I don't know what you mean by not allowing people to go near it during the rest of the week?

What are people doing at the table the rest of the week - normally people wouldn't have kids doing homework at this kind of table but certainly adults can sit around the table without doing stuff that would damage the table.

During the week I use clear lucite placemats in case an "adult" wants to have coffee or similar at the table. I have also had lunch with a girlfriend at the table without pads. I have large chargers and placemats and so nothing is going to be damaged.

But really it is like having any kind of nice item in the house - If you have a beautiful wood coffee table, you have coasters to protect the surface and you wouldn't use it in a space like a playroom. Or you would have a marble counter in your master bath but not in a bathroom for the kids.

A wood table is like any other wood furniture - it needs to be treated properly and not abused and if done that way, it will last a lifetime without damage

Lkwdmom4

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:32 am
I have a wood table in my kitchen that gets a lot of use. After unsuccessfully trying multiple other options, I purchased the thickest plastic sold at fabric stores (such as Hobby Lobby) and I use that to cover my table. It "sticks" to the table so that the table still looks nice but is the only thing I've found that really protects the table. I replace the plastic often - every few months - to keep it looking clean and new.

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:47 am
amother Violet wrote:

We have little kids so either we have the table pads on (with or without a tablecloth) or we have it uncovered and we literally do not put anything on it. We might chill a little once we have it for longer but we saved for this specific dining room set for 10 years and don't want to risk it!

Amarante

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:42 pm
Lkwdmom4 wrote:
I have a wood table in my kitchen that gets a lot of use. After unsuccessfully trying multiple other options, I purchased the thickest plastic sold at fabric stores (such as Hobby Lobby) and I use that to cover my table. It "sticks" to the table so that the table still looks nice but is the only thing I've found that really protects the table. I replace the plastic often - every few months - to keep it looking clean and new.

A kitchen table is quite a bit different in terms of expectations than a "dining room" table.

Most people don't have what would be considered fine wood furniture in their kitchen whereas many people invest in a beautiful elegant wood table for their formal dining room.

amother
Caramel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:55 pm
Honestly op, this is not supposed to happen. Some dinged & scratches over time but not stains within days/ weeks of use. I would contact the seller to discuss.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics