Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Horn Honking at Night
1  2  Next

Do you honk a lot as a driver?
Yes! Drive or I beep!  
 13%  [ 21 ]
Not really  
 34%  [ 54 ]
Never! It’s for emergencies only  
 36%  [ 57 ]
sometimes but not at night  
 12%  [ 20 ]
Other (comment!)  
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 156

HonesttoGod

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:01 pm
I know this is a real NY issue but it’s an issue I’ve been discussing with friends recently.

This friend of mine just moved to a very busy block. She said that every night people beep and honk and lean on their horns for ages for the stupidest things. And this can be at 7pm or midnight.
Most of the time it’s because the stop sign at the end of her busy street meets another busy street. Beeping gets people nowhere.

Are people really so incredibly rude and inconsiderate that at 11pm they’d lean on their horns because they have no patience to follow traffic rules and wait for others to do so too? In a residential area?

I told her to stand outside one night and tap on every beepers window and ask them if they feel better.
She said her son wants to buy her a bb gun or speed bumps TMI obviously she won’t do that because it’s illegal lol. It’s still so frustrating.

So ladies in the tristate/NY area - are you or your husbands doing this?
If you’re really so desperate to move get out your car and go direct traffic, or FLASH YOUR BRIGHTS! Why beep? I don’t get it.

my mama

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:18 pm
It took a couple of years but I taught my husband to stop, he used to drive with one hand on the horn. He used to say they chose to live in the city, they gotta deal with all that entails. But he learned and now the only time he honks is in a dangerous situation or a short beep to say thanks.

I rarely use the horn when driving

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:47 pm
I voted for my husband because I don’t drive. I live in monsey. Whenever a person doesn’t realize the light turned green or if someone does something wrong he beeps until they go.
He also beeps at pedestrians who cross unsafely. When I’m with him and I feel he’s being inconsiderate I tell him to stop but he doesn’t listen.
I think he does honk at night I don’t know.
I chose the first option even though he doesn’t beep
All the time

amother
Dustypink

Post Tue, Nov 29 2022, 11:49 pm
my mama wrote:
It took a couple of years but I taught my husband to stop, he used to drive with one hand on the horn. He used to say they chose to live in the city, they gotta deal with all that entails. But he learned and now the only time he honks is in a dangerous situation or a short beep to say thanks.

Unfortunately so many people are using their phones while driving (Lakewood!) that you have to honk them every time the light turns green or they’ll never go!

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:51 am
I honk... But only when someone is about to jump in front of my car and I'm not in a position to safely stop.

The highway to my house runs through a town called Hawara, and people and cars both behave unsafely throughout.

I don't want to get rear-ended at 70 km an hour, so if someone is about to walk into my lane, I honk to stop them.

If a car is about to make a k turn into my lane, I honk to stop them.

If they're already in my lane, I don't honk, because I want them gone asap, and then I resort to other means.

SG18

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 3:53 am
I don't really ever honk. DH does if necessary. We won't honk at night, it drives me crazy when people honk after 10pm.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:06 am
I don’t differentiate between night and day when I honk but I never blast my horn. I literally tap the horn so lightly that it usually takes me 2-3 presses before a sound comes out. And I only honk in dangerous situations or if the light has been green for a few seconds. I’m not going to ignore a dangerous driver just because it’s 11pm

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:01 am
amother Anemone wrote:
I don’t differentiate between night and day when I honk but I never blast my horn. I literally tap the horn so lightly that it usually takes me 2-3 presses before a sound comes out. And I only honk in dangerous situations or if the light has been green for a few seconds. I’m not going to ignore a dangerous driver just because it’s 11pm

So this is how I drive. Personally. However getting traffic to move because you don’t want to wait on a busy block tht is KNOWN to have traffic, at 11pm does make a difference. IMO.

amother
Anemone

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:17 am
HonesttoGod wrote:
So this is how I drive. Personally. However getting traffic to move because you don’t want to wait on a busy block tht is KNOWN to have traffic, at 11pm does make a difference. IMO.

It’s definitely different. I very very very rarely would honk at a stop sign because you typically can’t see what’s going on as well as the person in front. The situation OP is describing is definitely not ok at 11pm or am

amother
Skyblue

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:19 am
amother Dustypink wrote:
Unfortunately so many people are using their phones while driving (Lakewood!) that you have to honk them every time the light turns green or they’ll never go!
Are you one of those people that honk the second the light turns green. Because that’s very rude. You need to wait a few seconds, sometimes people need a bit of time to move their foot over from the brake to the gas. It doesn’t mean they’re on the phone, it means you need to learn patience.

Or are you one of those people who leans on the horn when the light is red because you think that even though the light is red the driver should be able to make a right turn. Not realizing that because you’re further back you can’t see that cars are coming and it wouldn’t be safe to turn. That is also very rude. Give your horn a rest and stop assuming that “everyone is on the phone” just because you are insanely impatient.

leah233

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:22 am
In most places you are only supposed to honk in times of potential danger. That is the law even in NYC.

momof2+?

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 10:31 am
my mama wrote:

I never heard of a “thanks beep.” I put up my hand and smile a little to say thank you. (When the driver is looking at me.)
Recently I noticed that drivers are trying to help me make left turns in to busy streets. I wait for a chance to turn and when someone behind me sees an opportunity coming, they beep me so I don’t miss it. Not sure how I feel about it.

amother
Brickred

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 11:33 am
I live OOT, no one beeps here. If we hear a car beep we run to the window to see what happened. Everyone lets cars pass/enter lanes/pull out of driveways etc.
DH, a Brooklynite, had to learn a lot (and is still learning) after we got married and moved here.
The driving is really different.

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 12:08 pm
I reserve my honks for people who are drifting into my lane and people who (after I've counted slowly to 3) don't move when the light turns green. And my honks are just quick taps. Not obnoxious leaning on it for several seconds. Also, I don't live in NY - I'm in a very suburban area so this kind of stuff is rare in residential areas.

motherqueen

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 4:54 pm
my rav says if you want to greet moshiach then you need to be patient and not honk

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:21 pm
amother Skyblue wrote:
Are you one of those people that honk the second the light turns green. Because that’s very rude. You need to wait a few seconds, sometimes people need a bit of time to move their foot over from the brake to the gas. It doesn’t mean they’re on the phone, it means you need to learn patience.

Or are you one of those people who leans on the horn when the light is red because you think that even though the light is red the driver should be able to make a right turn. Not realizing that because you’re further back you can’t see that cars are coming and it wouldn’t be safe to turn. That is also very rude. Give your horn a rest and stop assuming that “everyone is on the phone” just because you are insanely impatient.

No I’m one of those people who sees the people using their phone which they don’t even hide they’re doing it and they don’t realize when the light turns green or traffic in front of them moved because they’re so busy with their phone

I don’t assume. I see. It’s hard to miss.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:22 pm
motherqueen wrote:
my rav says if you want to greet moshiach then you need to be patient and not honk

How about also not break the law and use phones in the car

amother
Tanzanite

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 6:26 pm
motherqueen wrote:

Ever? How many green lights does your rav say you should sit through while the oblivious person in front of you is completely hypnotized by their text messaging?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:02 pm
Hardly ever, only to prevent an accident such as if a driver or pedestrian doesn't see me, and this I would do no matter when. It would be absurd to risk a crash because some people might be disturbed. You'd better believe the sound of the crash would wake them up anyway.

homemommie120

Post Wed, Nov 30 2022, 7:05 pm
Once had a neighbor he used to hunk every night waiting for his son to get into the car. Once I asked him to stop because it's waking up my kids. He said a horn is made to honk!! Banging head
Go figure!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette