Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Building a custom home in Lakewood
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:20 pm
Hi! I’m starting the process and had a few questions.

I plan on building an approx 5k square foot house.

For anyone that built within the last year - what was your total cost? Tips on keeping the cost down?

Recommendations for builders? Who did you personally use and were happy with?

Thank you in advance!

amother
Phlox

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:34 pm
Hatzlacha

No real advise, except the more rectangular you keep your house the cheaper it will be-every bump out will cost you more money.

The more you change your mind during construction the more it will cost you.

Don't be penny wise and dollar foolish, it is worth it to spend a little more now on things like good pluming then have to spend the money after the house is build.

amother
Snow

Post Thu, Dec 01 2022, 10:39 pm
Hi. I estimate my 5700 square ft home to have costed in the range of 1.3 to build and took 2 years from buying to moving. I renovated existing home but did very big extensions and redid entire interior. Good luck! Tips to keep cost down, find a very reasonable designer, dont try doing it on your own, and be very clear about your budget!

Also focus on layout alot put all your concentration into it. Also remember that huge doesn't always equal easier or better....sometimes it achieves the opposite for example a massive kitchen takes double the time to cook and clean in etc. If u have loads of cleaning help then maybe it's different. Get in touch with other ppl who built recently and don't be shy to ask questions do lots of research.

Get your layout and kitchen plans done and looked over by top experts and smart family members...

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 8:34 am
amother Snow wrote:
Hi. I estimate my 5700 square ft home to have costed in the range of 1.3 to build and
That price includes buying the lot/house?

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:09 am
No.

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:18 am
amother Snow wrote:
No.
wow. I never imagined it costs so much!

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:38 am
Well it could totally cost less if you choose everything mid to low end etc etc etc we did choose to upgrade lots of things. But we didn't go crazy either....

amother
Wheat

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:40 am
Sruly Fink is a great contractor (917) 703-0857

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:41 am
amother Snow wrote:
Well it could totally cost less if you choose everything mid to low end etc etc etc we did choose to upgrade lots of things. But we didn't go crazy either....
I don't want to sound ignorant.. but I imagined that buying a lot and building myself should equal approximately the same it would cost to buy a new ready built house. For example if a developer is building in xyz neighborhood and sells houses for 900k, I assumed that if I buy a lot in that neighborhood and build my dream home I'd end up paying more or less the same amount.

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:45 am
I live on a private lot, not in a development so it's already more expensive for the land. It was a good house it wasn't an empty lot. So it was a regular house sale.

Where will you find a lot for 100 k (to build an 800k house - for 5 k Sqft that's the minimum) in lkwd?

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:51 am
amother Denim wrote:
I don't want to sound ignorant.. but I imagined that buying a lot and building myself should equal approximately the same it would cost to buy a new ready built house. For example if a developer is building in xyz neighborhood and sells houses for 900k, I assumed that if I buy a lot in that neighborhood and build my dream home I'd end up paying more or less the same amount.

There are so many variables here but you would likely pay more (especially if your goal is your “dream house” ) but end up with a house that you are happier with. Developers have a volume edge and also cut a lot of corners where they can. Doing it yourself will likely cost more but you will have more flexibility and in some areas get more for your money.

I don’t know if this is accurate but ppl are saying now to calculate $150/sq for basic nice, and upward from there.

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 9:58 am
amother Denim wrote:

Your dream home is custom and also is probably nicer than the houses in a typical development. Houses are always cheaper when done in bulk , like everything else

amother
Lemonlime

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:02 am
Wow, when I built a few years ago, $100 a square foot was considered basic and anything over $115 was mid-level upgraded and $150 was whoaaaaa fancy.

There are definitely ways to save on a house.
1) pick a good contractor that has someone that will help you budget.
2) do not get a designer or decorator that is going to try to persuade you to overspend.
3) compare prices. I sent out the same exact kitchen to three different Lakewood companies and there was a $7,000 difference between all of them, which was 50% of the cost (I spent abt 14k on just cabinets). Same thing happened with my countertops. Don't assume that everyone charges the same price. Make sure your contractor is getting at least two quotes for every big job.

I also want to mention that sometimes it's easy to make a room look very upgraded with beautiful furniture or window treatments. That can come out a lot cheaper than spending $20,000+ on Woodwork and fancy moldings.

I saw someone recommended Sruli Fink, he is great and he used to work for Matt's (Gross) who is also great. And fast!

amother
Lightgray

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:05 am
Whatever you think it’s going to cost you pls leave room for 20% more
You don’t wAnt to run out of money before you finish and there are certain things that will be worthwhile to spend a little more on and you need to be able to have a little flexibility
Hatzlacha rabba

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:08 am
amother Stone wrote:
There are so many variables here but you would likely pay more (especially if your goal is your “dream house” ) but end up with a house that you are happier with. Developers have a volume edge and also cut a lot of corners where they can. Doing it yourself will likely cost more but you will have more flexibility and in some areas get more for your money.

I don’t know if this is accurate but ppl are saying now to calculate $150/sq for basic nice, and upward from there.
Thanks for your post!

amother
Clover

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:22 am
amother Lemonlime wrote:
Wow, when I built a few years ago, $100 a square foot was considered basic and anything over $115 was mid-level upgraded and $150 was whoaaaaa fancy.

There are definitely ways to save on a house.
1) pick a good contractor that has someone that will help you budget.
2) do not get a designer or decorator that is going to try to persuade you to overspend.
3) compare prices. I sent out the same exact kitchen to three different Lakewood companies and there was a $7,000 difference between all of them, which was 50% of the cost (I spent abt 14k on just cabinets). Same thing happened with my countertops. Don't assume that everyone charges the same price. Make sure your contractor is getting at least two quotes for every big job.

I also want to mention that sometimes it's easy to make a room look very upgraded with beautiful furniture or window treatments. That can come out a lot cheaper than spending $20,000+ on Woodwork and fancy moldings.

I saw someone recommended Sruli Fink, he is great and he used to work for Matt's (Gross) who is also great. And fast!

We used Srully Fink and very very happy!! He’s a great contractor/builder!

amother
Gold

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:36 am
amother Denim wrote:
Custom has always cost way more. It’s like buying a custom made wedding gown, but on a much larger scale.

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:41 am
We built a 6k sf house about 5 yes ago. Everything Is so much more expensive now, but it costed about 830 for the build.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 10:42 am
amother Denim wrote:

If this would be true why would anyone buy from a developer. Custom anything is always more than a stock item.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:39 am
Thanks for all the took the time to reply! I appreciate each and every comment, idea and advice!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries