Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Bag of sugar doesn't taste sweet-is it spoiled?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 11:05 am
I made a cake for shabbos and it tasted quite bland, wasn't sure why as I have made it hundreds of times before.

I then made another one, a new recipe, and it tasted the same way, sort of like cardboard.

My husband realized the issue is they weren't sweet enough.

I had just opened a new bag of sugar, we tasted it and yes, the sugar was totally undersweet, if there is sucha thing. It tasted like sugar, just with 50% of the expected sweetness.

Did this ever happen to anyone? Are the cakes safe to eat, I dont have time to bake more.

(I obviously threw out the sugar)

amother
Lime

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 11:29 am
amother OP wrote:
I made a cake for shabbos and it tasted quite bland, wasn't sure why as I have made it hundreds of times before.

I then made another one, a new recipe, and it tasted the same way, sort of like cardboard.

My husband realized the issue is they weren't sweet enough.

I had just opened a new bag of sugar, we tasted it and yes, the sugar was totally undersweet, if there is sucha thing. It tasted like sugar, just with 50% of the expected sweetness.

Did this ever happen to anyone? Are the cakes safe to eat, I dont have time to bake more.

(I obviously threw out the sugar)

I noticed that Domino made a new type of sugar called Golden sugar. It says on the packaging “less processed” maybe that’s what you picked up?

cbsp

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 11:33 am
I asked my husband who's a kashrus professional.

Having "done" numerous sugar companies he's trying to think how this would happen... Sugar generally doesn't just go bad. (we keep Pesach sugar fron year to year to year)

Was it a brand name? Purchased at a discount place that maybe repackaged it with additives? (had you not thrown it out he would have suggested returning it or calling the manufacturer with the lot number...)

Did the next bag (hopefully different brand) taste better? Do other food items also taste "off"?
If so, because this is the times we live in, is it possible something else is going on that maybe altered your respective sense of taste?

I guess whether it's safe to eat would depend on the answers above...

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 11:39 am
It was this bag of sugar from Walmart, purchased literally 2 weeks ago.

I was also thinking something is wrong with my taste, but me and DH and daughter all tried it and agreed. It doesn't taste off, it literally tastes not sweet.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dom.....00189

cbsp

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 11:53 am
That does sound strange.

Any way to rescue the bag and contact Domino? You'd need the info from the bag to provide the lot number and other item-specific info.

Customer service and QA (quality assurance) of big companies usually take complaints seriously...

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Dec 02 2022, 3:42 pm
Sugar doesn't spoil and in fact is used to preserve things. That's why jam is called fruit PRESERVES. It's possible, though unlikely, that the sugar was cut with some other granular product that is not sweet but dissolves the way sugar does. Since you all seem to be ok after using the baked goods, nobody accidentally switched a bag of sugar with one of cocaine.

Call the manufacturer to report. They'll probably send you a coupon or two for a replacement bag.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 12:07 pm
cbsp wrote:
That does sound strange.

Any way to rescue the bag and contact Domino? You'd need the info from the bag to provide the lot number and other item-specific info.

Customer service and QA (quality assurance) of big companies usually take complaints seriously...

This!
Big companies want you to contact them if product isn't up to standard.
Many times it's a mistake or error in the production line and they appreciate when you tell them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen