Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
ISO: Camp for English-Speaking Girl from Israel to WORK in

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 4:04 pm
My 17-yr-old daughter wants to come to America this summer to work in a camp. She never attended camp in America but would love to experience camp as a staff member. (She does not expect to be paid much or even anything for this, but does not want to pay for more than her flight.)

I would want her to go somewhere pretty shamur, as she has grown up in an Israeli chareidi Beis Yaakov environment. But I really have no idea where to begin...

Does anyone have suggestions of what camps we could look into? TY!

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 4:09 pm
If she has somewhere in the Monticello area to stay we are looking for girls to run our small day camp (about 35 kids). Excellent pay.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 4:18 pm
I know that this was not your point at all, but I have heard that it is very hard to get a passport or to renew one at this time, at the american embassy, so if her passport is expired, just realize that it may not be possible to renew it now.

amother
Thistle

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 5:00 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
I know that this was not your point at all, but I have heard that it is very hard to get a passport or to renew one at this time, at the american embassy, so if her passport is expired, just realize that it may not be possible to renew it now.

There were appointments available in April last week, it should be possible to renew before the summer.

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 5:16 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
There were appointments available in April last week, it should be possible to renew before the summer.

Thats very close to the summer, but anything is possible. I would be nervous for summer plans to have an appointment that late.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 5:36 pm
amother Saddlebrown wrote:
If she has somewhere in the Monticello area to stay we are looking for girls to run our small day camp (about 35 kids). Excellent pay.

I may be mistaken, but I get the impression that that is not what she is looking for at all. I believe she is looking for something with 3,4,5,6,7 hundred girls with tons of ruach, camaraderie, and terrible food.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:14 pm
OP, talk to any American friends and relatives. Jobs like this usually go pretty early, and to people who have gone there or who have connections- but that can be as simple as a family who has sent there and has a good reputation. Mothers helper jobs sometimes are available later, often even last minute.

amother
Cornsilk

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:24 pm
Hi
a great camp I know of is camp migdal to be staff for special needs kids, but it's such a warm and accepting place, I am sure she will love it!

amother
Glitter

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:39 pm
As far as I know in most camps that age is waitresses and would still be paying something?

Either way it’s hard to get a job as an outsider but if you want more sheltered maybe start with Toby? I would print a list of camps (if you have people that know your family and can reccomend it may be better) and cold call. But prepare her that it may be a difficult thing to find.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 11:52 pm
16 is usually waitress. 17 in JC, sometimes counselor, or other staff. Any of these ages can be mothers helpers.

Migdal and the like really need you to specifically want to be there, and usually to have some sort of experience. What you sign on for is amazing, but if it's not specifically what you want, you will usually be pretty unhappy. However, you can be support staff there, including a mother's helper, even without that. I don't know where it's located rught now, though, in terms of it being a sufficiently sheltered environment. In general, the camps in the US will inevitably have some girls who are wayess sheltered than you expect.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:07 am
Check out Palgai

amother
Obsidian

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:27 am
amother Clematis wrote:
Check out Palgai

They are only half staff there. They still pay to come to camp. Unless she wants to be a mothers helper

yc

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 3:44 am
amother Cornsilk wrote:
Hi
a great camp I know of is camp migdal to be staff for special needs kids, but it's such a warm and accepting place, I am sure she will love it!

can you give me more info on migdal? my daughter is specifically interested in working with special needs kids.
tia!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:26 am
Wow, thanks so much everyone!
Yes, we do have a passport for all concerned, lol. :-)
And yes, we are interested in an overnight camp with lots of campers and ruach. Will check out the suggestions you guys named. I know it will be cold-calling and we don't have any connections, but still want to show her that we're trying! Keep the ideas coming, pls!

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:37 am
amother OP wrote:
Wow, thanks so much everyone!
Yes, we do have a passport for all concerned, lol. :-)
And yes, we are interested in an overnight camp with lots of campers and ruach. Will check out the suggestions you guys named. I know it will be cold-calling and we don't have any connections, but still want to show her that we're trying! Keep the ideas coming, pls!

Try Agudah of Toronto. They had a number of staff from overseas last year, my daughter included. It was her first time going and she went as specialty. They were very welcoming though they did charge a small amount - significantly less than others camps. My daughter made the calls herself and I recommend that your daughter do the same. Hatzlocha!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:42 am
Amother Pewter, thanks so much for the suggestion. How did you check it out beforehand? How old was your daughter when she went?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps