Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Kids school Melava Malka tonight but I don’t know anyone….
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 5:48 pm
I really would like to attend my daughter’s school Melava Malka tonight. Feel like it is important to be part of things and would love to meet people. However, I am new to the area and don’t know any other mothers very well yet and heard that ‘everyone just sits with their friends’
What would you do?

BatyaEsther

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 5:53 pm
Call one of your daughter’s classmates’ moms and ask if they are going and want to meet up.

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:06 pm
My school is tonight. Ours are by grade and people are very friendly. I’m in nachlas if that’s your school, it’s really a friendly chilled crowd and people at your table will talk to you.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:12 pm
amother Burlywood wrote:
My school is tonight. Ours are by grade and people are very friendly. I’m in nachlas if that’s your school, it’s really a friendly chilled crowd and people at your table will talk to you.

I’m also in Nachlas so I really appreciate your post!
Sounds less scary than I’ve been imagining based on friends from other schools experiences… thanks!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:17 pm
amother OP wrote:
I’m also in Nachlas so I really appreciate your post!
Sounds less scary than I’ve been imagining based on friends from other schools experiences… thanks!

So each grade has a few marked tables, you’ll end up with some classmates mothers. Everyone is really friendly. It’s definitely not an overwhelming experience.

amother
Lilac

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:17 pm
I’ll sit with you! I’ve met some really nice and friendly mothers over the years. Hope you have a good time. I’m looking forward!

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:21 pm
It's also my first year in Nachlas and am a bit nervous but I heard about the sitting by grade thing and that makes it a bit easier. I hope it's chilled! I'm looking forward!

amother
Cinnamon

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 6:57 pm
amother OP wrote:
I really would like to attend my daughter’s school Melava Malka tonight. Feel like it is important to be part of things and would love to meet people. However, I am new to the area and don’t know any other mothers very well yet and heard that ‘everyone just sits with their friends’
What would you do?

Also first year parent:)
When does it start? When is the best time to show up?

amother
Orange

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:00 pm
Its my first year in a different school in Lakewood. Is it common for schools to do a melava malka? Is that instead of the school dinner?

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:02 pm
Thanks all! Going to attend Iyh, still nervous but hoping for the best!

Called for 8:30, I’m also wondering when is best time to actually show up.

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:02 pm
Nachlas starts 830, don't know the best time to show up, sorry!
Some schools do, some don't. It's not instead of the dinner, more of a ladies night out. My son's school does a weeknight ladies event with food, speeches and a Chinese auction. My friend told me her girls school doesn't do it.

amother
Gardenia

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:06 pm
I would say 830 is a bit early. Usually 845-9 is prob the time when most come

amother
Denim

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:09 pm
I relate to your concerns OP.
I don’t have kids in your school but I’m always concerned before school functions.
I’m not especially friendly with any of the other moms. It’s always awkward for me. Sometimes I luck out by sitting with people who are friendly and sometimes I remain uncomfortable throughout the event.
I wish we can ban all these school functions. I always feel I need to attend for my kids’ sake.

happytobemom

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:21 pm
amother Orange wrote:
Its my first year in a different school in Lakewood. Is it common for schools to do a melava malka? Is that instead of the school dinner?

My girls school has both events. A Melave Malka for women, more of a nice, social, inspirational event, and a dinner later in the year for both men and women.

About not knowing anyone, I find if you act friendly, most people will be friendly back. Sit down at a table and ask someone near/across from you their name. Usually, people will respond in kind, ask what grade/class your daughter is in, where you live, etc.

Enjoy!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 7:27 pm
8:45-9 is best to get there

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Dec 03 2022, 9:08 pm
I hope it's better than you imagine it'll be.
And I bet we have some members who are off to a school melave malka who will be even friendlier and warmer than they usually are (if possible).

amother
Navyblue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:14 am
Hey OP, curious how it went?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:03 am
amother Navyblue wrote:
Hey OP, curious how it went?

It was okay!

I am glad I went a bit later as people on here suggested, so thanks all Smile

amother
Mintcream

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:06 am
Hi, guys I have a dumb question. What are you supposed to wear to these things? Shabbos? nice weekday?

(I so dont feel like going)

amother
Acacia

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 10:07 am
Nice weekday
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries