Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
How to Make a Party? Please Help

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:47 am
Im hosting a party in a local shul hall. I’m not a confident cook and don’t know how to do this. If you can share ideas with all the steps written out how to make this as ez as possible. Dairy easy foods. Thanks in advance.

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:40 am
Super easy lasagna! We make this all the time and have made it for a few parties. There is actually someone who pays my DD to make this every year for the Chanukah party she makes for teen girls.

1 can tomato sauce (15oz)
1 jar marinara
1 container cottage cheese(1lb- whipped works best)
1 box uncooked lasagna noodles (regular-NOT the no-boil ones)
1 bag shredded cheese

put thin layer of tomato sauce on bottom of 9x13. mix remaining tomato sauce, marinara, cottage & 2/3 the cheese. layer noodles (3 per layer-no need to break them)& sauce mixture until you run out (usually 5-6 layers) ending with sauce. sprinkle with rest of cheese. Cover very tightly (we do foil & a foil cover-but that’s cause I bake it in a pareve oven) and bake at 350F for 1hr 20min. Let stand for 10 min before serving.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:04 pm
amother Clematis wrote:
Super easy lasagna! We make this all the time and have made it for a few parties. There is actually someone who pays my DD to make this every year for the Chanukah party she makes for teen girls.

1 can tomato sauce (15oz)
1 jar marinara
1 container cottage cheese(1lb- whipped works best)
1 box uncooked lasagna noodles (regular-NOT the no-boil ones)
1 bag shredded cheese

put thin layer of tomato sauce on bottom of 9x13. mix remaining tomato sauce, marinara, cottage & 2/3 the cheese. layer noodles (3 per layer-no need to break them)& sauce mixture until you run out (usually 5-6 layers) ending with sauce. sprinkle with rest of cheese. Cover very tightly (we do foil & a foil cover-but that’s cause I bake it in a pareve oven) and bake at 350F for 1hr 20min. Let stand for 10 min before serving.

Thank you! How do I keep this warm at the party? Any other ideas?

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:06 pm
Can you buy bagels and spreads ? Or pizza ?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:07 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Can you buy bagels and spreads ? Or pizza ?

Pizza would be ok, but how do I keep it warm? Bagels are a good idea. Thanks!

Simple1

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:12 pm
Some easy basic ideas:

Salad bar - put out various separate bowls of lettuce, and other salad components and have them make their own salad. Examples: chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, baby corn , hearts of palm , olives pickles,hot peppers, crunchy salad toppings, and dressings.

You can serve fresh bagels and put out cheese, egg salad, tuna spread etc.

Hot water urn and coffee, tea and hot cocoa.

Last edited by Simple1 on Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:13 pm
amother OP wrote:
Pizza would be ok, but how do I keep it warm? Bagels are a good idea. Thanks!

Have it delivered it will get there when the party starts. It won't be hot though for the people that come later

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:19 pm
Simple1 wrote:
Some easy basic ideas:

Salad bar - put out various separate bowls of lettuce, and other salad components and have them make their own salad. Examples: chopped cucumbers, tomatoes, baby corn , hearts of palm , olives pickles,hot peppers, crunchy salad toppings, and dressings.

You can serve fresh bagels and put out cheese, egg salad, tuna spread etc.

Hot water urn and coffee, tea and hot cocoa.

Thanks for the ideas. How do I put out coffee and tea? What should I buy?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:19 pm
cupcake123 wrote:
Have it delivered it will get there when the party starts. It won't be hot though for the people that come later

Thanks.

Simple1

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:37 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thanks for the ideas. How do I put out coffee and tea? What should I buy?

I dont know that much about coffee and tea, but you can put instant coffee, (jar or individual packets), milk and sugar. And tea bags and instant hot cocoa. Do you have a hot water urn?

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:40 pm
Variety of Doughnuts?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:49 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
Variety of Doughnuts?

Good idea. Ty.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:51 pm
Simple1 wrote:
I dont know that much about coffee and tea, but you can put instant coffee, (jar or individual packets), milk and sugar. And tea bags and instant hot cocoa. Do you have a hot water urn?

Thanks! I don’t own one but can buy one.

amother
Hyacinth

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:54 pm
A Gemach may have a water urn to lend out.. or the shul may have 1 already..

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:19 pm
amother Hyacinth wrote:
A Gemach may have a water urn to lend out.. or the shul may have 1 already..

Thanks. Any other ez food ideas?

amf

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:31 pm
You can rent or buy chafing dishes(sternos) to keep food warm, they usually fit 2 9x13 pans of food. So depending on your crowd size, you prepare the Sternos with water about 45 min in advance, pop warm or room temp food in there, and you're good to go

So let's say the party is Sunday, you can make 9x13 pans of baked ziti, lasagna, fettuccine Alfredo, etc on the Thursday before, warm them up somewhat in your oven Sunday morning, then take it over to the shul about 20 minutes before the party, when the sternos are warm already

Here is a link to the sterno racks (ypu also buy a special gel fuel can, and a large deep tin pan to put in the rack that you fill with water. Then you put your 9x13s on top of that.The steam from water keeps the food hot)
https://www.webstaurantstore.c......html
It's also sold in amazing savings, walmart online, etc

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:38 pm
I prefer to buy instead of cook. But here are things we have done in the past.

If you are feeling ambitious, giant pot of soup of any easy soup - you can bring an electric burner or hot plate to keep it warm, and serve in hot cups (easier to walk around with than bowls) with plastic spoons. Keep lots of croutons / soup nuts and shredded cheese nearby in serving bowls with spoons for people to sprinkle in (and salt and pepper shakers).

Make your own falafel:
- lots of pitas, best to slice them in half, but not required
- falafel balls - we buy either pre-made falafel balls from a falafel store, or we buy frozen ones and heat before hand, or we buy falafel mix and make them (less recommended). Can keep them warm on a hot plate.
- store-bought packaged chummus and techina, etc.
- salad or cut up vegetables. Pre-washed lettuce or other pre-washed salad veggies work great plus some cucumbers, tomatoes, and peppers. These are good on the side or inside the pita with falafel or other spreads below.
- we make sure to have other spreads for those who aren't falafel fans - tuna salad (or just tuna and mayo), egg salad, etc.
- french fries - we buy frozen and make them beforehand, can also be kept warm on a hot plate. These can be good inside the falafel or on the side.

Pizza - instead of falafel, we have also done pizza (ordered from a pizza place, not home made) instead of falafel, just keep it stacked with a towel or two over it (stacking ad towel keeps them warm), and only bring out 2-3 open boxes at a time and then replace when they are finished.

Drinks and cups (cold cups and/or hot cups)
- all store bought - juice, soda, iced tea, etc.
- coffee, tea, and hot chocolate mix for the kids (you can even put out marshmallows, but the kids tend to just eat those plain).

Dessert
- buy a lot of donuts from a bakery
- or ice cream if there is a freezer (no need for donuts and ice cream)

Also, having fun chanuka toys around keeps the kids occupied - give out little dreidels and chocolate coins and the kids will entertain themselves for at least part of the time

amother
Clematis

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:14 pm
amother OP wrote:
Thank you! How do I keep this warm at the party? Any other ideas?

We usually put it in a chafing dish for parties

amother
DarkYellow

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:29 pm
You can also do appetizers of hummus and pita chips, onion dip and potato chips (buy kosher onion soup mix and a pint of sour cream and mix a packet into the sour cream an hour before the party), You can buy a pre sliced cheese package and put out a few kinds of crackers. If you're feeling fancy, buy grape tomatoes and a package of feta cheese and kebab skewers. Cut the feta into cubes and alternate cheese and tomatoes (2 of each). Drizzle with Italian Dressing and set up on a serving tray with some parsley for garnish. You asked how to keep lasagna hot. Either keep it on a hot tray plugged in after it comes of the oven, or an oven on low temp like 300. Otherwise, buy a sterno rack, two long foil pans, and two sterno cans (fuel for heating). These are sold in places like Amazing Savings, Hardware Stores, and some kosher groceries. You heat the food first. Set up the bottom pan with a half inch of cold water and place into the rack. Place the empty pan on top and put your food into the empty one. Take two cans of sterno fuel and remove the lid (with a can opener, key, or screwdriver). Place into bottom of rack. Light each with a match and set on a non flammable surface (like aluminum foil or a tray.

amother
DarkGray

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 7:01 pm
It depends on your crowd and what seems like normal food to them. You could do baked ziti, french onion soup, bagels and spreads, salad. Or you could do a taco/burrito bar with build-your-own options like shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, shredded cheese, vegetarian chili, refried beans, salsa, guac. Or you could do a baked potato bar plus a salad bar (my personal fave).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics