Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Any OT/PT can help? "W sitting" 4 yr old

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:20 pm
Hi ladies
Can someone here help me. My son always sits in a w position. I think I tell him 1000 times a day. And when I tell him, he fixes it . But a second later its back. How can I help this!?!? It's really not good for him. He does a bunch of exercises but he can't break this habit. And I can see how it affects him in other areas ie while running, jumping riding a bike. Any help is appreciated.
Thank you

sequoia

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:24 pm
Don’t all kids sit like that?

amother
Heather

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:30 pm
W sitting is a sign of core weakness. Its the same weakness that effects his other skills, not the w sitting in and of itself. He needs core strengthening exercises to address the root of the issue

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:34 pm
amother Heather wrote:
W sitting is a sign of core weakness. Its the same weakness that effects his other skills, not the w sitting in and of itself. He needs core strengthening exercises to address the root of the issue

For sure, yes I realize It's from a weakness. In terms of the other skills I meant I can physically see how his legs look different during those activities. Specifically wondering about how to break the habit besides for addressing core strength. It's soooo habitual at this point.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:35 pm
sequoia wrote:
Don’t all kids sit like that?

No. OP - I urge you to watch a replay of a summit given last week on development by the Guttman sisters. It was called get to the root and explained soooo much about my children. They discussed W sitting and other patterns that are connected to that which I would never have put together. The replays are available until Tuesday. They are FREE. Here's a link to watch: https://f3bb4ipe.pages.infusio.....ate=0 Even though it's passed, The recordings are there.

It's 3 different one hour long video. They discuss wsitting in #1.

They are launching a membership on development. I have been watching them for years but they are too expensive to go to privately for me. Joining the membership because I know they are a wealth of knowledge and every time they speak, I learn something and my family benefits. They have the answer to this in that vdieo.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 12:36 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:
No. OP - I urge you to watch a replay of a summit given last week on development by the Guttman sisters. It was called get to the root and explained soooo much about my children. They discussed W sitting and other patterns that are connected to that which I would never have put together. The replays are available until Tuesday. They are FREE. Here's a link to watch: https://f3bb4ipe.pages.infusio.....ate=0 Even though it's passed, The recordings are there.

They are launching a membership on development. I have been watching them for years but they are too expensive to go to privately for me. Joining the membership because I know they are a wealth of knowledge and every time they speak, I learn something and my family benefits. They have the answer to this in that vdieo.

Wow thank you so so much!!!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:48 pm
Just keep reminding him every time, that is what the PT and OT told us to do. And we explained to dd, even at such a young age, why it wasn't good to sit that way and that we wanted her legs to be healthy and strong and showed her which ways of sitting were healthy and which weren't. The explanation helped give her a reason to want to listed. And when you correct his sitting, don't just tell him how not to sit, give him a suggestion or two of how to sit instead. So after reminding her for what seemed like a hundred times a day for years to sit differently and why, one night I went to bed and realized she actually hadn't done it all day, and eventually it was totally gone. They will eventually stop if you are consistent, parenting involves so much repetition.

amother
Birch

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:54 pm
Please take him to PT so he can get stronger reminding him won’t help much.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:02 pm
2 of my kids sat in a “w” and even with ot and pt it wasn’t correlated. I would remind them and they would temporarily fix their legs (criss cross like a pretzel). By around 8 years old I noticed they corrected their sitting on their own. One child is a young teen who still has core muscle issues- can’t open a water bottle or a new tube of toothpaste, has illegible handwritting and struggles academically. The other child who also did “w” sitting is doing much better aside for unclear speech and messy handwriting.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 2:07 pm
amother Ecru wrote:
Just keep reminding him every time, that is what the PT and OT told us to do. And we explained to dd, even at such a young age, why it wasn't good to sit that way and that we wanted her legs to be healthy and strong and showed her which ways of sitting were healthy and which weren't. The explanation helped give her a reason to want to listed. And when you correct his sitting, don't just tell him how not to sit, give him a suggestion or two of how to sit instead. So after reminding her for what seemed like a hundred times a day for years to sit differently and why, one night I went to bed and realized she actually hadn't done it all day, and eventually it was totally gone. They will eventually stop if you are consistent, parenting involves so much repetition.

Hi thanks this is chizzuk! He really understands he wants to be stronger he just keeps doing it.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 3:00 pm
Omg I remember as a kid I had friends who sat like this and I tried to also but I couldn’t! I thought I want flexible enough lol
This is fascinating.

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 3:33 pm
I’ve always sat in a W. Still do. I can’t sit on the floor otherwise, my feet don’t go in to the “pretzel” position.

Honestly, it doesn’t affect my life too much. I’m glad my parents didn’t drive me crazy about it.

amother
Forsythia

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 3:46 pm
It leads to knee and hip issues. I am trying to get my daughter to stop.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 3:58 pm
amother Plum wrote:
I’ve always sat in a W. Still do. I can’t sit on the floor otherwise, my feet don’t go in to the “pretzel” position.

Honestly, it doesn’t affect my life too much. I’m glad my parents didn’t drive me crazy about it.

I don't dafka push the pretzel leg position just trying to eliminate the w.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 4:10 pm
amother Plum wrote:

Are your initials a.w?

amother
Eggshell

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 4:16 pm
amother DarkCyan wrote:

I signed up and they responded that I'm registered. Since the event already passed, how do I watch it?

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 4:25 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
I signed up and they responded that I'm registered. Since the event already passed, how do I watch it?

Check your email. It’s sent there. (Because it already happened…) or what’s app them maybe? Sorry. I got it in email

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 5:34 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Are your initials a.w?

Why? Because I’m Always W-sitting?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers