Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps
Teen girl - shopping and “extras” for sleep away camp
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 1:12 pm
I’m trying to start shopping because I might not have so much time closer to the summer. It’s my daughters first time going so tips would be appreciated!

She’s going to a With it camp but not too modern.

Age thirteen year old girl would need
How many Shabbos and weekday outfits

What kind of Shabbos outfits do girls wear to camp?

What’s extra items do the girls have / appreciate to have at camp.

Ty!

amother
Blonde

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 9:39 pm
You are verrrrrry early!!!! You'll probably get more answers when people are into it... But anyway,

Our camp only allows 3 shabbos dresses so gd bless

Weekday, I have in mind the 9 days... So it would be 6 decent sets and the rest cheap basics etc...

Linen set and towels you could buy a cheap cutesy set at Target/Amazon /Ikea...

Find out from insiders what the acceptable thing is. Camp and social norms are very individual.

Some camps have logos and brand names as the standard and some camps turn their noses up at such girls...

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 10:00 pm
Stock up on t-shirts now, when the long sleeves go on sale. They are a bit harder to find before camp. She'll need a lot (including what she already has), about 2 weeks worth.

emee2

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 4:55 am
I send 4 outfits and a nice sweater. In our camp the girls wear a plain black or white sweater.

Send activities for shabbos afternoon, uno, top trumps or something she can do with friends.

Extra tooth brushes and soft soap come in handy

Lozenges or sucking candy for when they lose their voices.

Fanny pack, trip bag (adidas drawstring), hydro flask.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 5:58 am
Each camp has a different shtick, but my kids always brought a folding camp chair or directors chair (the kind that fits into a narrow fabric bag and is available on Amazon or at Target). These were placed on the porch for hanging out or reading on Shabbos. In some places, you pack/send clothing in plastic drawers to give additional storage space in the bunk. I would check with Moms of older campers to see what is allowed or actually needed. In most camps, you need a plastic basket to carry your shampoo and soap to the shower. I used to get those personalized or buy paint pens to decorate ourselves. Skirt hangers with multiple clips are also useful. Many places have a communal closet for hanging Shabbos clothes. Under the bed boxes with covers are also useful for storage. It's important that the covers close to prevent things from getting dirty and to keep out any unwanted critters. Clip on fans or lights were helpful and we also sent a bag that tied onto the bunk bed and could hold glasses, tissues, and other things that might go on a night table. Finally, I always sent a rug because the floor was cold and possibly splintery next to the bed (you can get these at Target or Home Goods).

seeker

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 8:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
Stock up on t-shirts now, when the long sleeves go on sale. They are a bit harder to find before camp. She'll need a lot (including what she already has), about 2 weeks worth.

Where are these t shirts on sale of which you speak?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:39 pm
seeker wrote:
Where are these t shirts on sale of which you speak?

Keep your eye on H&M, Gap, Old Navy, Children's Place for long sleeve cotton tees at good prices. There are usually not that many options closer to camp.

erm

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:43 pm
Really depends on which camp. My girls always take along tutus and hair chalk, autograph pillows etc. check out the company bunk junk for those kind of things.

burgundy

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 11:49 pm
Bump

ra_mom

Post Mon, Apr 24 2023, 11:55 pm
burgundy wrote:
Bump

What are you looking for specifically?

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:08 am
erm wrote:
Really depends on which camp. My girls always take along tutus and hair chalk, autograph pillows etc. check out the company bunk junk for those kind of things.

Could you please post the link for bunk junk?
Thanks!

Frumwithallergies

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:12 am
ra_mom wrote:

I send different coloured accessories for colour war.
I also send a plastic set of drawers so my girls can separate out some of their stuff.

I send a battery powered set of lights and painter's tape so they can hang stuff from the walls.
Friendship bracelet string.
Beads and string

Earplugs
Breathe right strips

cnc

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:53 am
emee2 wrote:
I send 4 outfits and a nice sweater. In our camp the girls wear a plain black or white sweater.

Send activities for shabbos afternoon, uno, top trumps or something she can do with friends.

Extra tooth brushes and soft soap come in handy

Lozenges or sucking candy for when they lose their voices.

Fanny pack, trip bag (adidas drawstring), hydro flask.

How often do they do laundry that she can manage with 4 outfits?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 6:32 am
cnc wrote:

I think she was responding to the shabbos outfits

emee2

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 7:19 am
cnc wrote:

Yes Shabbos outfits! For weekday I send 14 shirts and 4-5 skirts.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 7:26 am
From my experience they usually only do laundry 2x each half even though they say it’s weekly

amother
Vanilla

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:16 pm
Im sending to camp tubby for the first time iyh,

Anyone send a daughter there and know if theres anything specific the girls there use?

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 12:24 pm
I’m sending to camp BY.
My daughter told me that even though it will be hot in the summer, they wear sweatshirts/zipper hoodies a lot. They wear them early morning and by night activity. She said most girls shower on Motzei Shabbos and then change into a Monte Carlo skirt with a hoodie. I think I normally sent one hoodie but she said it’s not enough.

amother
Darkblue

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:01 pm
My daughter also said she needs a lot of zip up sweatshirts. I’m wondering how many they actually need.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Apr 25 2023, 1:03 pm
Thx all for the responses

Regarding color war how do I know what to buy in advance?

What websites carry “ the extras” that I don’t have to run from store to store.

What’s the latest trend clothing / shoes or is there a it thing that the girls are bringing this year?

I feel like theirs so much to prepare and buy. I’m definitely getting overwhelmed!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Summer Camps