Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Name your favorite/must-have Artscroll book

seeker

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:25 pm
I have a gift certificate to be used at Artscroll only. Hard to pick what to spend it on! It's enough to get a few items, but not more than a few.

I'm thinking of The Laws of Yom Tov because I have the whole Shabbos series (it matches Shabbos Home, Shabbos Kitchen, etc) and not the yom tov volume.

The new Rebbetzin Jungreis book ads caught my eye, unsure about that.

The Weekly Parsha series Haggadah was recommended here around Pesach time, my kids are 10 and up so I'm not sure whether it would still be a good bet but I'm thinking it could be, always nice to have an interesting haggadah for kids, again not sure if that's what I want to use my credit on. We do have the classic Artscroll Youth Haggadah already but maybe not enough to go around anymore?

Anyway I'm up for suggestions BUT RULE: Name your one favorite and/or one must-have. If you list your top 20 it's too overwhelming since I can afford about maybe 4 books total.

Not counting basic siddurim or chumashim because I think I have them all already.

Can be for adults or kids 10+.

I'm curious to see what comes up and prepared to be overwhelmed and thrown deeper into indecisiveness.

happytobemom

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:37 pm
Can't say this is my favorite, but it's recent, I got it as a gift and love it:
Exalted Moments
it's about welcoming Shabbos

And oldie, but if you don't have it, the biography of Rebbetzin Kanievsky

Boca00

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:39 pm
Personally I loved the Rebbetzin Jungreis book.
I also loved Incredible! 1&2 but not sure if that’s Artscroll.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 10:49 pm
There are some magnificent biographies: Rav Gustman, Reaching to Heaven. Living Legend is great too. I like biographies because they can get reread, vs. fiction.
Are you into cookbooks?
The Six Constant Mitzvos (based on Rav Berkowitz's shiurim). Rabbi Elias's Ani Maamin.

Sorry, those were a bunch of books. But excellent books in a few categories: biography, bitachon, and cookbooks.

Enjoy!

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:06 pm
I haven't read it but heard it's very good. Not sure if it's your type though -

https://www.amazon.com/Daily-B.....32156

Otherwise I would go with Living Legend. Besides for the fact that Rabbi Grossman is an incredible person, it's nice to read about someone who is alive and accomplishing great things vs only reading about it after their death.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 11:18 pm
Great suggestions!

Just wanted to clarify that that hagada isn't really for use at the Seder easily like the youth one. It's for understanding much more about it. My kids read it cover to cover... On the couch, on the beanbag, in their rooms, etc
Yes over 10 can enjoy it. Don't think you should necessarily spend your gift certificate on it if you have other options you really will enjoy (I loved The Living Legend, it's a mussar sefer masquerading as a biography), but you shouldn't rule it out as having a place in your home.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:54 am
Boca00 wrote:
Personally I loved the Rebbetzin Jungreis book.
I also loved Incredible! 1&2 but not sure if that’s Artscroll.

Incredible is (are? Wink ) ArtScroll. More great biographies.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room