Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Non Jewish MIL using pan

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:13 pm
Does my MIL using a skillet if no Jew is around to turn the stove on make the skillet traif (if frying an egg for example with 100% kosher ingredients)?

Or is it that there is no supervision make one assume it’s traif or is the whole kitchen traif?

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:49 pm
amother OP wrote:
Does my MIL using a skillet if no Jew is around to turn the stove on make the skillet traif (if frying an egg for example with 100% kosher ingredients)?

Or is it that there is no supervision make one assume it’s traif or is the whole kitchen traif?

Interesting question. Is she making for herself or for your family too? Definitely bishul akim.

tichellady

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:52 pm
speak to a rabbi. it's more complicated than that. bishul akum may not apply to a fried egg. and it may not apply if you are involved in prep in some other way. if this is your mother in law I would definitely get a psak for your family since it's a sensitive situation

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 8:52 pm
I don't think this has anything to do with supervision.
If she's not Jewish, and she turns on the stove, anything she cooks is bishul akum.
Don't know about the status of the skillet.

tichellady

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:13 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
I don't think this has anything to do with supervision.
If she's not Jewish, and she turns on the stove, anything she cooks is bishul akum.
Don't know about the status of the skillet.

that's not true. the halachot are not so simple and there are many different opinions, also depends if sfardi or ashkenaz. my friend who is a convert spoke with a rabbi about how to have her relatives cook for her

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:15 pm
tichellady wrote:
that's not true. the halachot are not so simple and there are many different opinions, also depends if sfardi or ashkenaz. my friend who is a convert spoke with a rabbi about how to have her relatives cook for her

I hear. I apologize.

essie14

Post Sun, Dec 04 2022, 9:30 pm
Not a question for imamother where most people here have no experience with this. Please ask your LOR. I know people in situations with non Jewish relatives and there are ways to get around things.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen