Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Took a job, just got a better offer, ethically ok?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:04 am
I literally started a job yesterday. Today, I got a call from a company I interviewed about a month ago and didnt hear from. They offered me the job. Better pay. I really want to take the job. Is it ethical to do that? I havent signed anything yet. It was going to be 3 months probation to see if I got everything down.
Nothing wrong with letting the first place know I will not be able to continue with them, right?
I had hoped the second place was going to offer me the job a month ago, but when I dudnt hear anything, I took this one.

amother
Grape

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:15 am
Bosses have no problem letting workers go if it doesn’t work for them.
So why shouldn’t it be the other way around too?
If you have a much better offer you are not obligated to stay. Ask them if they need notice before you leave since you just started.
It may be awkward but the right thing for you.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:06 am
I assume since you haven’t signed for the first job you’re in the clear. Those 3 months are a trial for you as much as for them. Weird that they’re doing the probation period in this environment. You’d think they’d be in a hurry to lock their employees in.

Highstrung

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:08 am
They may decide to counter offer and give you the same pay. So think advance what you really want to do.

Frumme

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:14 am
amother Iris wrote:
I assume since you haven’t signed for the first job you’re in the clear. Those 3 months are a trial for you as much as for them. Weird that they’re doing the probation period in this environment. You’d think they’d be in a hurry to lock their employees in.

This! In a trial period, you're also seeing if it's a good fit for you. You can tell them at any point if you feel it's not working out for you. If it is working out, you can ask if they'd match the offer from the other company

notshanarishona

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:17 am
I think it’s ethically ok but it would damage your reputation, if you ever look to change again

amother
Apple

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:20 am
Will you be in a probation period with the other company?

amother
Pink

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:38 am
Most jobs are at-will, meaning you can leave (or get fired) whenever one party wants.

Ethically, there is no problem. Zero, zero, zero.

Better to leave now than think about it another two weeks and then leave.

Workers leave all the time for better paying jobs. It's incredibly common and normal.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:29 pm
Thank you everyone. I took the second job. Smile
And felt no regret or guilt.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics