Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Teach me your system for running an organized home
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:54 pm
What's the secret? I grew up in a chaotic environment. I want to do better. I am trying my best to keep things running but I feel I'm working way too hard, there should be a better system but I don't know it. Right now, my house is slowly skipping from my grasp. I was able to keep some semblance of normalcy but each year, and each kid, makes it more challenging.

Give me your best system for any one part of being a mother. Laundry, pantry organization, cooking, play room, kids stuff etc. Whatever area you feel you have a good system for, please share it with me.

Thank you!

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 3:25 pm
(Copying and pasting from an fb group I posted this in)

"How to keep house while drowning"
Another good book is "The Lazy Genius Way"
which has a few principles like: batching tasks or setting yourself up for success.

For example while serving breakfast, prep snack and put in fridge to pull out immediately when you walk in door. Or keep snacks in car or stroller and stick them in kids hands when you pick them up.

Make sure to clean up breakfast before you leave - yes it takes time in the morning routine but it makes your return home more pleasant. You could even prepare cups of water on the table for when you come back. That's an example of setting yourself up for success.

This is all ideal but it's also doable if you build the routine and get into the habit:

Cook or prep supper the night before.

When you get home, kids sit down to eat snack, you stick supper in oven and then you're available for kids.
Sit down with them and eat yourself.

Now you can play - at least an hour of focused attention since supper is in the oven and they've just had a snack.
You can also sit on the couch while they play near you! Just relax without your phone.

Serve Before 5 so you can start bath by 6 and be in bed by 7).
Over supper you write the mitzvah notes - if you wrote them in advance then you discuss what the note will say.

And you get up while they're eating and prep their lunches - ie hang out near them but be doing something in kitchen.

Sit down for 10 minutes and write 2 weeks worth of mitzvah notes for each child. Repeat the mitzvah and just change the names! You could probably also just print this out, kid doesn't know the difference and morah won't care... bonus add a little clipart.

Do a load of laundry every night or every other night. Use the machine as your hamper. Turn it on before bed and switch the load in the morning. Don't fold any of it. If you're drowning in laundry, it sounds counterintuitive but you have too much clothing. Max 5 shirt, pants and pj for each kid.

It took me years to do this but I finally do the dishes and clean the supper table before bed. On the clock it's never taken more than 15 minutes to straighten up and it makes the whole morning different.

amother
Chestnut

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 6:51 pm
One of the best things I did was have multiple laundry hampers: for darks, whites, colors, and one for linens.Once everyone learned which was which, the laundry was always presorted all by itself.

My system for prepping for Shabbos: Sunday, grocery shop; Monday, make kugel and freeze; Tuesday make chicken broth and refrigerate; Wednesday, skim fat off broth, add veggies and seasonings and cook, prep chicken with seasonings in a pot; Thursday, buy fruits and vegs for salad and cook chicken, take kugel out of freezer and put in fridge. Friday, all that's left is to boil water and heat up the food. In summer I can make the salad Friday afternoon; in winter, I'd make it Thursday night. I never put dressing on salad and I use only sturdy veggies like bell peppers and cucumbers, so it can be made ahead no problem.

I set the dining table for Shabbat Thursday night.

Every evening I prepare a bowl with my breakfast cereal and leave it, covered, on the kitchen table so it's all ready for me to add milk in the a.m. I lay out my clothes for the next day, and put my coat (in winter), bag, keys and wallet together in one place. If I'm going to need to bring lunch or a beverage and snack, I prepare those the night before, too.

I make a daily to-do list, figure out what route I'm going to take and number my errands in the logical order based on where I'll be. If I'm going to be in an unfamiliar neighborhood, I use Google maps to see what businesses like big-chain drugstores, post offices, that sort of thing, are near the place I'm going to so I can run errands on the way there or on the way back if it makes sense to do so.

I hang a big desk-blotter-size calendar in the kitchen and mark everyone's appointments , bdays and so on on it. I tried using a different color for each person but that got to be a pain as I could never be sure of having the right color when I needed it. YMMV.

amother
Burgundy

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:09 pm
Birth control won't hurt .

yiddishmom

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:17 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:

Seriously?

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:29 pm
amother Burgundy wrote:

Only on imamother!!

I’m actually following this thread as I can relate and would love to hear others’ systems that I can implement to make things simpler and run smoother.

But focusing on a part of the post that wasn’t being asked is hurtful…
Personally, I’m so grateful for Hashem’s brachos and simultaneously want to create more structure for a smoother household, but wouldn’t appreciate this advice at all.

dankbar

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:39 pm
I prepare my daughter's uniform shoes by her bed. Homework sheets signed at night in her knapsack at the door. Snacks into knapsack at night. This way in morn she is ready to roll. My boys are older so can do themselves.

amother
Indigo

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 8:42 pm
I grew up in a tight ship home. everything had a place and mother did everything to perfection. while some of that rubbed off on me and I'm naturally organized too, I want to say that these child-rearing years are chaotic. I'm really struggling to keep afloat and to do it all. it's a huge challenge BH.
just wanted to say, you're normal and you're not alone.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:21 pm
My system is very simple.

Everything has a home and the home is close to the place where it is used so it’s easy to put it back.

SuperWify

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:41 pm
Now for elaboration.

Snacks- I have 1 tiny shelf for it so I use a big bin. When I get a pack of chips or pretzels or whatever I divide it into bags and throw it into the bin. In the morning they can choose 3 from the bin, it takes 2 seconds.

Homework ends up in a file on my counter, once done it goes straight into the book bags. School shoes are placed by the door so in the morning there’s no “mommmmmy where’s my shoes?”

I have limited closet space so I’m very careful to only buy pieces that I love and will wear. Of course it sometimes happens that I end of buying things that are just a waste of space so I purge often and give away with no regrets. To banish the guilt I give to people I know will enjoy it (like family in Israel). I have a big bin which I wait until it’s full and then I get rid. Things that are no longer useable or things that should not be given away (like underwear) go to H&M’s recycling box - bonus you get a discount, yay.

We have set nights for a bath and they are non negotiable. I give toothbrushes in the bath because I will admit I’m not so great at remembering otherwise. I make sure to have towels and pjs ready for when they come out beforehand.

While I can never be a true minimalist the principle is something I can try to follow. Only keep what you use. If you haven’t used it for a year it’s time to say goodbye. The only exceptions are like baby gear, maternity clothes, and a few other storage things.

My kids have about 6 containers of toys. I invested in good quality toys that they play with over and again. They don’t need more and cleaning up is a breeze. Every box is labeled for easy cleanup. (Manga tiles, wooden train, big Lego, Lego, marble run, animals, little people) They have a prize box for their junk but once it’s full they (or I) need to purge.
Messy things like play doh and kinetic sand are kept out of reach. I have a splat mat which we do the activity on and only with an adult present.
We use memory boxes for sentimental things we’d like to keep. Once in a while we take it out and it’s cute to look out.

I switched from clunky albums to photo books which are easier to do and give a much neater look overall.

Shabbos-
Sunday/ Monday invite guests.
Tuesday- menu plan
Wednesday- shop and bake (challah and dessert)
Thursday- cook. Homemade dips are made in bulk so I don’t make every week.
Friday- clean and set table

Last edited by SuperWify on Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Daylily

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:43 pm
One laundry basket per person. I don’t sort lights/darks, and putting away laundry is far easier when it’s just one person’s.

When possible, put away clothes for kids in full outfits - roll up a shirt with pants, undershirt, socks and underwear so you can literally grab one thing and have all you need. Makes packing way easier too!

If you don’t have a dishwasher, get one. Changed my life! I hate washing dishes.

Simple easy repeating supper and snack menus. Only patchke for special occasions.

salt

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 11:33 pm
amother Chestnut wrote:

My system for prepping for Shabbos: Sunday, grocery shop; Monday, make kugel and freeze; Tuesday make chicken broth and refrigerate; Wednesday, skim fat off broth, add veggies and seasonings and cook, prep chicken with seasonings in a pot; Thursday, buy fruits and vegs for salad and cook chicken, take kugel out of freezer and put in fridge. Friday, all that's left is to boil water and heat up the food. In summer I can make the salad Friday afternoon; in winter, I'd make it Thursday night. I never put dressing on salad and I use only sturdy veggies like bell peppers and cucumbers, so it can be made ahead no problem.

Make 3 kugels and freeze, and then you don't have to do it every week.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:17 am
amother Burgundy wrote:

I’m all for birth control but this is out of line Banging head

amother
Catmint

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:47 am
I read the book Checklist Manifesto. Posting a list of activities really helps even if you think you know what you need to do. I have lists for erev Shabbos jobs, kids morning routine, bedtime routine, packing.
So when kids say "I'm ready to go to school", I remind them to check the list so I don't have to say "but did you brush your teeth?".

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 1:56 am
SuperWify wrote:

Everything has a home and the home is close to the place where it is used so it’s easy to put it back.

This!

amother
Plum

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:10 am
amother OP wrote:
What's the secret? I grew up in a chaotic environment. I want to do better. I am trying my best to keep things running but I feel I'm working way too hard, there should be a better system but I don't know it. Right now, my house is slowly skipping from my grasp. I was able to keep some semblance of normalcy but each year, and each kid, makes it more challenging.

Give me your best system for any one part of being a mother. Laundry, pantry organization, cooking, play room, kids stuff etc. Whatever area you feel you have a good system for, please share it with me.

Thank you!

I feel like I am mostly fine.
My secret is having a backup in everything.
It is an expensive system but it works.
It means that even if I don’t manage to have time for laundry or cooking, I have a backup of clothes - everyone has more than they need for a week. Same for food - my pantry and freezer are stocked with things I can throw together or defrost.

I have several babysitters I can try, in case I run out of time. I try to maintain relationship with several people who babysit.
You get the drift.

I have no family in town but having money for backups help reduce stress.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:35 am
SuperWify wrote:

Such deceptively simple advice could only be given by a born organized person LOL

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:50 am
amother Burgundy wrote:

What's wrong with people? She never said how many kids she has or that her kids where the reason for her disorganization. You have no idea what her situation is.

amother
Snowflake

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:11 am
Some tips:
1) Make large batches of food like soups, meatballs, trays of rice, cooked pasta to keep in fridge.
2) Sheet pan dinners with chicken and vegetables save cleanup
3) Do at least one load of laundry every day. You might get kids to help sort into each family member's items or to pair socks.
4) Leave out clothing for each member of the family (even you) every night. We used to make a "flatman" with skirts, tops, tights, shoes or pants, shirt, socks, tzizit. If your kids wear uniforms, even easier as long as they always have clean components. Try to throw in a load while you are cooking dinner or making breakfast.
5) Clean up food messes right after you make them. Use disposables if you can. Otherwise, have dishwasher safe plates and cutlery. If no dishwasher, assign dishwashing tasks including DH.
6) Use machine wash tablecloths (homegoods, TJ Maxx have great ones) Use placemats to preserve cleanliness of tablecloth. Have specific Shabbos tablecloths (mine are white and silver) that you put on Thursday night or Friday morning.
7) Develop a Shabbos rhythm of menu by Tuesday, shopping on Wed for produce and sides or ingredients and Thursday for proteins. Cook Thursday night or cook Sunday and freeze. Keep staples in house such as rice. Cooks in 18 minutes on stove or 1 hour fifteen in foil pan 1 part rice to 2 parts water, one drop of olive oil and tightly cover with foil. Bake at 400.
8) Roast sheet pans of vegetables like peppers, tomatoes and onions or sweet potatoes for side dishes for weekday or Shabbos.
9) Keep eggs as a staple for ingredients or weekday dinners like omelettes or shakshuka. Boil eggs at night for egg salad or breakfast.
10) Use lists for everything
11) Figure out your household staples such as papergoods, soap, tissues, tp, garbage bags, cleansers, foil, sponges and put in Amazon orders or make monthly trips to Costco, Bingo, etc.
12) If you can afford cleaning help do that. Otherwise, have a list of tasks: Clean stove, oven, sinks, floors, toilets, sinks, showers, dust vacuum, tidying and figure out what time slot you have to clean. Enlist help from kids for some easier tasks and DH. Important to stay on it regularly and if you cannot afford regular help perhaps you can do one seasonal clean.
13) Set Shabbos table before noon on Friday.
14) Take a tip from my friend's mom. If you do not know what to make for dinner, set the table so you will feel organized and make a plan while you are doing it.
15) Sandwich night can be a thing. Get proteins, condiments, pickles, bread, fruit, chips, and cut up veggies. Everyone makes his/her own.
16) Pack backpacks and leave by the door with coats every night. Make lunches (if school does not supply) and leave by the door. Leftovers from dinner make good lunches for adults. Keep empty containers and lids on hand for packing. For example, if you have sheet pan chicken for dinner, try removing from the bone, shredding over lettuce and tomatoes. Add avocado if you like and it's on hand. Slice egg. For milchig, omit chicken and use shredded cheese. Either get dressing packets or sprinkle lightly with dressing. Another option is to add in a handful of cooked pasta and make a cold pasta salad. Keep applesauce cups or apples and pretzels on hand. Seltzer or water bottles make a full lunch.
17) Between carpools has a Shabbos prep list that can be helpful.
18) I always leave an oven mitt on top of my candlelighting tray as a reminder to check the oven before lighting. You'd be surprised how many times I used to leave things in there or forget to turn off the heat.

Bnei Berak 10

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:21 am
amother Snowflake wrote:
Some tips:
1) Make large batches of food like soups, meatballs, trays of rice, cooked pasta to keep in fridge.
2) Sheet pan dinners with chicken and vegetables save cleanup
3) Do at least one load of laundry every day. You might get kids to help sort into each family member's items or to pair socks.
4) Leave out clothing for each member of the family (even you) every night. We used to make a "flatman" with skirts, tops, tights, shoes or pants, shirt, socks, tzizit. If your kids wear uniforms, even easier as long as they always have clean components. Try to throw in a load while you are cooking dinner or making breakfast.
5) Clean up food messes right after you make them. Use disposables if you can. Otherwise, have dishwasher safe plates and cutlery. If no dishwasher, assign dishwashing tasks including DH.
6) Use machine wash tablecloths (homegoods, TJ Maxx have great ones) Use placemats to preserve cleanliness of tablecloth. Have specific Shabbos tablecloths (mine are white and silver) that you put on Thursday night or Friday morning.
7) Develop a Shabbos rhythm of menu by Tuesday, shopping on Wed for produce and sides or ingredients and Thursday for proteins. Cook Thursday night or cook Sunday and freeze. Keep staples in house such as rice. Cooks in 18 minutes on stove or 1 hour fifteen in foil pan 1 part rice to 2 parts water, one drop of olive oil and tightly cover with foil. Bake at 400.
8) Roast sheet pans of vegetables like peppers, tomatoes and onions or sweet potatoes for side dishes for weekday or Shabbos.
9) Keep eggs as a staple for ingredients or weekday dinners like omelettes or shakshuka. Boil eggs at night for egg salad or breakfast.
10) Use lists for everything
11) Figure out your household staples such as papergoods, soap, tissues, tp, garbage bags, cleansers, foil, sponges and put in Amazon orders or make monthly trips to Costco, Bingo, etc.
12) If you can afford cleaning help do that. Otherwise, have a list of tasks: Clean stove, oven, sinks, floors, toilets, sinks, showers, dust vacuum, tidying and figure out what time slot you have to clean. Enlist help from kids for some easier tasks and DH. Important to stay on it regularly and if you cannot afford regular help perhaps you can do one seasonal clean.
13) Set Shabbos table before noon on Friday.
14) Take a tip from my friend's mom. If you do not know what to make for dinner, set the table so you will feel organized and make a plan while you are doing it.
15) Sandwich night can be a thing. Get proteins, condiments, pickles, bread, fruit, chips, and cut up veggies. Everyone makes his/her own.
16) Pack backpacks and leave by the door with coats every night. Make lunches (if school does not supply) and leave by the door. Leftovers from dinner make good lunches for adults. Keep empty containers and lids on hand for packing. For example, if you have sheet pan chicken for dinner, try removing from the bone, shredding over lettuce and tomatoes. Add avocado if you like and it's on hand. Slice egg. For milchig, omit chicken and use shredded cheese. Either get dressing packets or sprinkle lightly with dressing. Another option is to add in a handful of cooked pasta and make a cold pasta salad. Keep applesauce cups or apples and pretzels on hand. Seltzer or water bottles make a full lunch.
17) Between carpools has a Shabbos prep list that can be helpful.
18) I always leave an oven mitt on top of my candlelighting tray as a reminder to check the oven before lighting. You'd be surprised how many times I used to leave things in there or forget to turn off the heat.

Number six: are you telling me there are table cloths that require dry clean only? Confused
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics