Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Chessed with toddler

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:34 am
Hi looking to get involved in chessed as have free time on hand but also have toddler home with me.. any ideas?

yiddishmom

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:35 am
Prepare suppers for others in need. But I'm not sure which organizations to reach out to.

scruffy

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 11:36 am
So nice!

Go to nursing home if they would let toddler in and he/she will behave, the residents will really appreciate and the toddler will love the attention

Cook meals

Give rides with toddler in car

Watch someone's kids in your house as a chessed

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:15 pm
yiddishmom wrote:
Prepare suppers for others in need. But I'm not sure which organizations to reach out to.

Bikur cholim of Lakewood.
I used to cook meals weekly. They would call me each week and I would tell them what day worked best, how big of a family, etc.
I wasn't able to deliver, so they had a volunteer pick up and deliver for me.
So sad I can't do that anymore Sad

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:19 pm
You can drive locally for Chai Lifeline
I used to take volunteers to families, drive kids to/from therapy/school...
Of course, only if your toddler will be happy in the car

BatyaEsther

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:21 pm
I love the idea of doing something the toddler does as well-visiting a Nursing Home, driving people to appointments.

If the toddler can help you cook (even if it is taking baby carrots out of the bag and putting them on a plate before you cook them) then that is great too. Idea the child should feel like they are involved rather then being brushed off so that you can do the chessed (which would then really be at their expense of attention).

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 6:56 pm
You can see if there are any old people that need visitors. Maybe you can call up an assisted living to see if they knew anyone.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 7:03 pm
You should not be driving for Chai Lifeline with your toddler in a car. Toddlers have colds, viruses, which makes them contagious before you're aware. Chai lifeline patients are vulnerable and shouldn't be exposed. Their parents won't be happy catching something either.

Additionally, toddlers shouldn't help you cook for other people. You don't want to send germs to vulnerable people

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 7:06 pm
I used to drive high school girls to their chesed jobs. I don’t remember how I found that chesed opportunity, maybe from the shadchan corner in the BP

amother
Mimosa

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 7:08 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:

Additionally, toddlers shouldn't help you cook for other people. You don't want to send germs to vulnerable people

My toddler helps me cook, 100% germ free. She brings me an onion from the bin. She picks up the onion/potato/carrots peels that fall down. She supervises from her high chair while we count the pieces as I slice potatoes. She mixes with her own spoon in her own bowl while I mix. She tells me which spice to add (the red one! The green one!) etc..
There are plenty of ways to safely involve a toddler in whatever you are doing.

OP, kol hakavod to you for wanting to use your time to help other people! That in and of itself is teaching your toddler a valuable lesson

amother
Pewter

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 7:15 pm
amother Peachpuff wrote:
You should not be driving for Chai Lifeline with your toddler in a car. Toddlers have colds, viruses, which makes them contagious before you're aware. Chai lifeline patients are vulnerable and shouldn't be exposed. Their parents won't be happy catching something either.

You don't have to drive the actual patient. Chai Lifeline often needs drivers for the volunteers. As for the volunteers picking up a virus from your toddler, well they can get a virus from their own little siblings or anywhere.

amother
Lightpink

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 7:32 pm
I did weekly supper deliveries for Eim Leah. I picked up from bikur cholim on prospect and delivered to families within my vicinity.

Chaya123

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 12:37 pm
Sub for local playgroups/day cares! It's impossible to find subs and if a Morah needs to take off, all the kids have to stay home and parents have to make alternate arrangements. Even though you can charge good money for this, it's still a huge chesed!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries