Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Is this eczema?

hadasa

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 11:50 am
my four-month-old has a rash that started behind her ears and is spreading to her face. Behind her ears it's really bad, oozing and crusting over. On her face it's like red spots. I just switched laundry softeners, so that might be the cause, so I switched back, but I'd like some advice on how to treat the rash.

Ahuva

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 6:53 pm
Go see your dr. he may be able to tell what it is, and give you advice on how to treat it. Meanwhile I think it is good to keep it lubricated.

Rivk

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 9:02 pm
It may be excema that became infected from scratching. My son had that as a baby and he needed antibiotics to clear it up. Of course the excema remained, though! Very Happy

hadasa

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 3:39 am
I really detest going to doctors in this country. Can someone suggest something OTC that my husband can get in NY (he's there for the Kinus).

JEWISHMAMA

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 5:13 am
I dont know if the have it in ny but I use Olaitum. It´s an oil that you put in the bath and is really good for baby and you. Also sudecrem is a cream that is also good for nappy rash and excema.

Henya

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 1:23 pm
Is it an allergy? My daughter (at 18 months) developed rash/eczema on her face. I got her tested & found out that she's allergic to corn. I didn't even realize how many foods had corn till I had to look out for it. Corn flour in cereal, corn meal under bread etc..

Tovah

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 1:29 pm
vazaline is great I use it on my son to control it. but if it's oozing u might want to ckeck it out to make sure no infection.

JEWISHMAMA

Post Tue, Nov 22 2005, 6:43 am
I agree.
it would be best just to see a dr just to make sure it is excema and that its not infected. it doesnt hurt to go just for a quick visit.

hadasa

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 12:27 pm
If anyone's interested in an update - I have to let it out somewhere, and what better outlet than imamother?

OK, so when the rash spread to the diaper area I realized I had no choice but to go to the doctor. I went to the "best dermatologist in town" (which isn't saying much) and she prescribed the works: steroid- antibiotic cream, antihistamines and some other stuff that I have no idea what it is. By the next day it had spread to her stomach and back, the diaper area was infected and she had a fever. Back to the doctor (this was Friday afternoon, less that 2 hours before Shabbos and it was sleeting outside) who prescribed antibiotics. Crying I'm not fanatically natural, but this is the first time in SIX YEARS that any of my kids have had antibiotics (Quite an accomplishment IMNSHO). Today I went to the doctor again, she says she sees improvement (even though I don't - but at least the fever's gone B"H.) I wish I had someone else to consult instead of following this doctor blindly, but I was desperate for it to get better- did I mention my husband's out of the country? Oh, and since it's probably a food allergy, but in this town they don't test kids under five for allergies Rolling Eyes , so I'm off milk, wheat, eggs, fish, citrus fruits, chocolate and some other things - I'm STARVING, and she might in the end turn out to be allergic to something not on the list! Mad

Anyway, I just needed to vent, so whoever took the time to read this - thanks for listening

leahj

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 1:09 pm
Sorry - have no advise, just wish you the best. My husband travels alot so I know what it is like to have to deal with this stuff when he is out of town. My kids always wait til Tatty is out of town to have ear infections, fevers, etc.
Good luck with trying to figure out the allergy. But is there anyway you can try and remember what you had to eat that may have been different prior to her getting the rash. It took me a while to figure out that my 4 year old was allergic to tomatoes.

Henya

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 1:32 pm
I feel for you !!! Is there no one from alternative where you live that can test your baby? It's so frustrating to see your baby with a rash/not well & you have no clue what to do for it! I hope you find out what the source of it is!

BlumaG

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 1:45 pm
oy poor u, hows the baby dealing, is ur husband home yet? nearly? iyh all shud go well
all the best

TzenaRena

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 1:50 pm
Quote:
Good luck with trying to figure out the allergy. But is there anyway you can try and remember what you had to eat that may have been different prior to her getting the rash. It took me a while to figure out that my 4 year old was allergic to tomatoes.

My daughter was allergic to tomato products, and had eczema in early childhood.

Quote:
I'm STARVING, and she might in the end turn out to be allergic to something not on the list!

my SIL was on a very natural diet. She ate all kinds of whole grains, nut butters etc. Her baby had the worst case of eczema anyone ever saw. All scaly and blotchy all over. When my SIL went OFF her natural diet, and started eating "junky" red meat etc., the baby improved all the way! It turned out, that the baby was majorly allergic to almonds, cashews and other nuts, sesame and other "natural" products.

My son was allergic to peas, sweet potatoes, egg whites, somewhat to strawberries, and dangerously allergic to sesame.

Peanuts is a common allergy that can be very severe in some people..

When I was trying to figure out what one of my babies was sensitive to, the doctor suggested I try the chicken and rice diet. It works by process of elimination. ( I think you add one thing only at a time, and wait a certain amount of time to see whether or not there is a reaction)

hadasa

Post Mon, Nov 28 2005, 2:55 pm
Quote:
the doctor suggested I try the chicken and rice diet.

I tried that - after two days I really needed to add fruits and vegetables for obvious reasons.

Itta

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 1:05 am
rice.... hmm seems easy enough.

one problem. I have a sister who is allergic to rice.

I guess since its a known allergy to me, if I suspect it, I'd avoid the rice and try a different grain like oats or spelt.

lets hope I never need to do that....I"YH
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics