Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Ghanaian Peanut Beef and Tomato Stew

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 4:15 pm
I have a non-meat version of peanut soup - but this was a very good hearty stew

Ghanaian Peanut Beef and Tomato Stew

Excerpt From: Carla Hall - Carla Hall's Soul Food

SERVES 8

Groundnut stew’s popularity extends beyond Ghana throughout West Africa. Freshly roasted groundnuts (aka peanuts), which are naturally a little savory and sweet, thicken this hearty onion, pepper, and tomato mix. That vegetable trio forms the base of most West African stews. What goes in after that is up to the cook. I add meat to the mix to turn this into a really hearty one-pot meal. It’s important to treat the meat right. First, you want to invest salt in the meat, coating it generously even before it hits the pot. Then, you need to brown it. Yep, it takes time, but if you don’t do it, you’ll end up with gray beef that tastes steamy. Finally, you have to let it simmer until it buckles under a butter knife. If you’re gonna splurge on beef, you gotta do right by it. When you do, it’s a delicious addition to this iconic stew.

1¾ pounds beef chuck, cut into 1-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
1½ cups chopped onion
1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks
½ habanero chile, seeded and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon ground cumin
2 carrots, cut into 1½-inch chunks
2 yams, peeled, quartered, and cut into 1-inch chunks
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
Chopped roasted peanuts, for serving
Lime wedges, for serving

Toss the beef with 2 teaspoons salt in a large bowl. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add enough beef to fit in a single layer, spacing the cubes ½ inch apart. Cook, flipping and turning, until browned on all sides, about 7 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining beef.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, then the onion, bell pepper, and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the onion is just translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the chile, garlic, ginger, and cumin and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the carrots, yams, tomatoes, beef with any accumulated juices, and 4 cups water. The liquid should cover the solids. If not, add more. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the beef is tender, about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Ladle ½ cup cooking liquid into a small bowl. Add the peanut butter and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Stir until smooth. Pour the mixture back into the stew, along with ½ teaspoon salt. Stir well. Season to taste with salt and black pepper.

Divide among serving bowls, top with chopped peanuts, and serve with lime wedges

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 5:12 pm
Thanks for sharing. I love all things peanut butter. This might be on my Shabbos table Friday night.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics