Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Need a passport to get into montreal?

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:03 pm
we would like to attend a cousins bar mitzva in montreal in september.
I have passports for myself, dh, and ds1 but I still did not receive my birth certificate for ds2 and after that I need a ss# before I can even apply for a passport so I dont know if I'll get it in time.

ds2 will be a few days short of his 6 month bday when we go.

does anyone know if they allow small babies (and up till what age) in with just a birth certificate? or do we really need a passport for him?

Imawoman

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:13 pm
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca.....shtml

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:16 pm
We just applied this week for a passport for dd (she's 5 weeks old) so we can travel to Toronto. The government has gotten stricter about needing ID for children because there have been too many custodial disputes where one parent takes the child out of the country without permission from the other parent. Both dh and I had to show up at the passport application acceptance facility (a local post office) with dd, passport pics, birth certificate, our drivers licenses, and a checkbook. See here for more info. We were told it takes 4-6 weeks to get the passport, but you can pay extra to get the application expedited. Also, if you are planning to drive rather than fly, you can apply for a passport card instead of a book, which might be quicker (and is cheaper). That's a new option as of this year.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:18 pm
are you flying or driving - flying may be more problematic, but if you areflying together and have a birth certificate, etc... then it should be ok

If you are driving, passports are recommended, but not yet mandatory (Jan 09) only photo ID/birthcertificates are required. You can put a rush on the passports once you get the nec. info. Also, I got my kids ss before their bc (the hospital did both for me) and ss cam ein the mail about a week earlier.

I would recommend getting the passport forms, and have them ready - worse case you can take the passport receipt and birth cert. when you travel -

On another note - I'd love to meet ya on your I am sure brief visit!

amother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:57 pm
Someone I know recently went to Canada for the weekend with one child, and the child only needed a birth certificate. However, being that there was only one parent present, they needed a letter from the other parent granting permission to take the kid out the country bc they never know when there's a custody battle going on and one parent is kidnapping the kid. They didn't know about that, but somehow were let through anyway.

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 8:19 pm
montrealmommy wrote:

If you are driving, passports are recommended, but not yet mandatory (Jan 09) only photo ID/birthcertificates are required.

are you 100% sure about that? we will be driving all together and I'm sure I will have at least his birth certificate by then. do u know where I can see that in writing? (not that I dont trust you ch'v but I'd want to see it to ease my nerves) that would be really awesome!

TIA

Marion

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:38 pm
Also, don't forget to check the US requirements! They require US citizens to have certain ID to cross back!

agh

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 9:53 pm
IF U R DRIVING A BIRYH CERTIFICATE IS OK FOR BABY IF FLYING U NEED PASSPORT FOR BABY

BeershevaBubby

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 1:01 am
No offense to any of the Imamothers here, but OP, if you're that worried their info may be incorrect, call a travel agent and ask or visit... most likely the Department of Homeland (in)Security's website will have the info you need.

http://www.dhs.gov/xtrvlsec/cr.....rs/#0

montrealmommy

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 10:39 am
OP - this is what is being repeated on the radio in a gov't paid advertisement to mass inform people - however, like people said, check the aforementioned websites ladies posted to confirm - you can also call border control

golddigger

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:33 pm
WWW.DELUXEPASSPORTEXPRESS.COM

Twizzlers

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:45 pm
so I've seen that I can get my baby back into US with just his birth certificate, but havent seen anything about being allowed into Canada without a passport.....anyone??

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:52 pm
Quote:
USA Citizens Traveling to Canada
Citizens of the United States do not need a passport or visa to enter Canada, unless they are arriving in Canada from somewhere other than the USA. They do need to have on them proof of citizenship plus photo identification, although this is not often asked for. More information for U.S. citizens crossing into Canada can be found on the Consular Information Sheet for Canada at the web site of the Bureau of Consular Affairs, of the U.S. Department of State.

Americans in particular will need to be aware that Canada has strict gun laws. Generally, all weapons without legitimate sporting or recreational use are prohibited, and guns used for hunting or competition may be brought in with a permit. (Contact below). Undeclared firearms will be confiscated, and criminal charges may be made.

For more information about going into Canada, phone the border-crossing post directly. For answers to Canadian customs enquiries, or to locate the nearest Canadian customs district office, call the following telephone numbers: From within Canada, call: (toll-free) 1-800 461-9999. From outside Canada, call: 204-983-3500; or, 506-636-5064 (long-distance charges apply).

The following links also will be helpful.

Canada Customs and Revenue Agency.
The Canada Customs and Revenue Agency site has information for Visitors to Canada, including the Tax Refund for Visitors to Canada pamphlet. Canadian residents may be interested in browsing the pages about Canadian residents traveling abroad and obtaining more information about exemptions for returning Canadians in the pamphlet I Declare.

The Canadian customs FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page also can be quite helpful in answering questions.

http://www.gonorthwest.com/Vis.....r.htm

cuteson

Post Thu, Jun 26 2008, 10:33 am
If you are going by car you don't need a passport regardless of age but any one 18 and older needs a birth certificate and a goverment issued photo id, for the baby it's ok to have a birth certificate only. I'm a frequent traveler to and from montreal and never had any problems
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics