Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Tooting my own Horn

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:14 pm
dd has been sick since Friday past. Until yesterday there was no fever or specific "owee", she was just miserable - agressive, difficult, not sleeping or eating, etc... I have very little patience when it comes to whining, etc... and when I am sleep deprived I am even worse! BUT When dealing with this uber difficult child I maintained a calm, even voice and kept sepaking with her until she would calm down and tell us what she wanted or do what we were trying to do (btw she is also 2 and at the stage where is has to be her way, all the way, right now! which only worsened matters) -

I have been trying to work on anger management and even though I did raise my voice more thanI should've (esp. to ds who was trying sooo hard to be helpful) overall I was much calmer and even tempered then I have ever been in such a situation.

It just goes to show that when you want to make a difference/change you can.

note: it ended up being a really really bad ear infection that resulted in a burst eardrum - Sad but like her older brother she goes from nothing to something overnight (yesterday she began a fever and complaining of a booboo in her ear, and within 4 hours it burst).

ShiningThrough

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:39 pm
Yea for YOU MontrealMommy!! That is so great, a real accomplishment in self control. Kol HaKavod!
Did you read my friend Sarah Shapiro's book Growing With My Children? I think you'll like it~

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 2:40 pm
Good for you. I am very aware of that issue and always try to remain as calm and patient as possible. It does make a world of a difference.

montrealmommy

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:18 pm
thanks - ST - I have not read that one, I did read "raising your kids without reaising your voice" by Sarah Chana Radcliff and I find it a wonderful user friednly informative manual and guide!

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 3:20 pm
S. C. Radcliff writes in the Mishpacha regarding teenagers and she makes a lot of sense.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:28 pm
You should toot your own horn MontrealMommy!
You need to give yourself a pat on the back as positive reinforcement when trying to change! kol ha kavod.!

I was consciously working on this too, then when I felt I had improved...well...I backslid...so I need to get back on the wagon..

I had a little chart (hidden!) and checked off days I didn't yelll at the end of the week, I'd get a prize (an am off!)

Sh! don't tell anyone LOL but it worked. Since I'm tired and kvetchy these days and have slipped back into old habits, time to get back to the chart.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:29 pm
ShiningThrough wrote:
Yea for YOU MontrealMommy!! That is so great, a real accomplishment in self control. Kol HaKavod!
Did you read my friend Sarah Shapiro's book Growing With My Children? I think you'll like it~

She's your friend? what a great friend to have (I've read her work and know her as well, although not close)...Is the book still in print? Where can I get hold of a copy?

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 4:36 pm
Cheers: it's not easy to win a fight within ... but keep looking at the positive ... Cheers

refuah shelaima to your girly

montrealmommy

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 2:45 pm
Thanks everyone! Mimivan - I like the cahrt idea - may have to borrow that one for future use!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics