Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Do kids with ADHD get sick more?

wantavaca

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:11 pm
My son got sick and had to stay home already three times since the school year started.
Plus once in the summer.
I want to be warm and doting but it’s getting upsetting. He needs consistency in his attendance…
He just went to bed prepping me that he may not go to school tomorrow Bec he is coughing and doesn’t feel well and can’t sit in class all day like that.
I told him if he doesn’t have fever he needs to learn to take an Advil and get on with it.
So frustrating!!
Does anyone else here have kids with adhd who get sick often?
Any other advice is welcome:) I wanna be a balance mother in an unbalanced situation. How???

amother
Watermelon

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:12 pm
I don’t find that to be the case with my son but he does have very poor hygiene so if your son struggles with that, he could be touching things and not washing his hands properly….

amother
Broom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:30 pm
Does he struggle with anxiety too? Kids who suffer emotionally do get sick more often, so it would make sense.

amother
Dustypink

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:38 pm
My adhd kids barely ever get sick, but when they are sick they really really feel awful. Like everyone feels awful when they're sick, but they seem to feel it more intensely. I wonder if it's because they're so sensory they feel the discomfort and pain more.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:42 pm
My non adhd kids get sick all the time. Like I pretty much have someone home sick on a weekly basis and I don't have that many kids. I think it's a nature...some kids just get sick more than others. As a kid I never got sick...but my kids seem to have horrible immune systems.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:01 pm
Yes, kids with adhd have lousy, dysregulated immune systems. Adhd is likely an inflammatory disorder . https://www.spandidos-publicat.....nload

wantavaca

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:18 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Yes, kids with adhd have lousy, dysregulated immune systems. Adhd is likely an inflammatory disorder . https://www.spandidos-publicat.....nload

Wow this feels like I’m not crazy
Validating!
How do you know this?

wantavaca

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:19 pm
amother Broom wrote:
Does he struggle with anxiety too? Kids who suffer emotionally do get sick more often, so it would make sense.

I suspect a lot of it is emotional ya
Oy

amother
Lily

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:23 pm
I don't know the answer but I believe there is always a connection between the physical & mental/ emotional state. Children with autism are statistically prone to digestive issues, seizures, allergies etc. I hope one day we'll have alot more answers.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:25 pm
wantavaca wrote:
Wow this feels like I’m not crazy
Validating!
How do you know this?
Because infections gave my kids adhd and getting sick always exacerbates their symptoms and working on their immune system has helped so much with their symptoms and I’ve been down this rabbit hole for 7 years now.

ETA never getting sick is also a sign of immune dysfunction

amother
Daphne

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:26 pm
I definitely saw difference in my sensory seeking kids getting sick more often than their peers. My own findings. They lick and put everything in their mouth and tend to be less into keeping neat and clean

Rabbit613

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 4:40 pm
My adhd son is 8 and never gets sick. When he does get a fever it'll go up very high to about 104 but he still acts normal and runs around.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:08 pm
My ADHD kids are the healthiest in the house. I can't remember when either of them was last sick but when they are, you really know about it.

amother
Red

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:16 pm
My ADHD kid was sick less than my other when young - less ear infections, less strep, etc....which is lucky because child is allergic to pennicillin.

amother
Brickred

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:22 pm
wantavaca wrote:
My son got sick and had to stay home already three times since the school year started.
Plus once in the summer.
I want to be warm and doting but it’s getting upsetting. He needs consistency in his attendance…
He just went to bed prepping me that he may not go to school tomorrow Bec he is coughing and doesn’t feel well and can’t sit in class all day like that.
I told him if he doesn’t have fever he needs to learn to take an Advil and get on with it.
So frustrating!!
Does anyone else here have kids with adhd who get sick often?
Any other advice is welcome:) I wanna be a balance mother in an unbalanced situation. How???

I believe kids with adhd get sick more often.
if he is open to swallow capsule try to get him a multi vitamin in a capsule

amother
Ballota

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:28 pm
Seems like it’s a mixed bag here!
I was also going to chime in to say that my son with adhd also gets genuinely sick less often than my other kids. However, he much more often gets random debilitating headaches and/or nausea, which may or may not be due to medications.

amother
Silver

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 7:02 pm
2 kids with adhd here, one rarely gets sick, the other one, occasionally, nothing out of the ordinary though..

wantavaca

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:00 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
Because infections gave my kids adhd and getting sick always exacerbates their symptoms and working on their immune system has helped so much with their symptoms and I’ve been down this rabbit hole for 7 years now.

ETA never getting sick is also a sign of immune dysfunction

How do I “work on his immune system?”
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics