Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Challah pans

Seeking

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 9:46 pm
Is it worth buying real ones? If yes then which ones? Dark or light? With side edges or not? Anyone with tried and true advice?

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:20 pm
I thought about getting real ones. I have loaf pans but not the oval ones. Then I realized they take up a lot of space.

challahchallah

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:30 pm
I just bake my challah on a cookie sheet, but I definitely recommend light colored over dark. With the dark ones it’s very easy to get the crust too brown before the inside is cooked.

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:36 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I just bake my challah on a cookie sheet, but I definitely recommend light colored over dark. With the dark ones it’s very easy to get the crust too brown before the inside is cooked.

Why? What's the difference?

To answer OP's original question:

I have black oval shaped challah pans for 4 years already. It's very worth it - the challah crust comes out deliciously crispy.

I also had a few of the silver ones (don't remember the brand) and I replaced it last month because the last few times I used them my challos didn't come out of the pan. It was stuck. I guess the non-stick coating had rubbed off. But with the black ones I don't have this issue yet BH.

The big downside is that they don't "stack and nest" nicely so it takes up a lot of space. I keep it in the warming drawer of my oven.

And the obvious pro is that it's much more economical.

Last edited by yiddishmom on Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

challahchallah

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:42 pm
yiddishmom wrote:

I have black oval shaped challah pans for 4 years already. It's very worth it - the challah crust comes out deliciously crispy.

I also had a few of the silver ones (don't remember the brand) and I replaced it last month because the last few times I used them my challos didn't come out of the pan. It was stuck. I guess the non-stick coating had rubbed off. But with the black ones I don't have this issue yet BH.

The big downside is that they don't "stack and nest" nicely so it takes up a lot of space. I keep it in the warming drawer of my oven.

The darker pans will brown the crust faster. If you like the extra crispy crust then it makes sense you like the black pans! We like a softer crust on challah here, but I do use dark pans when I’m making other types of crusty loaves. Light pans are often not non-stick. I line with parchment paper to compensate. I’m not sure what you mean by much more economical? You can get light and dark colored pans at all price points. I’ve never noticed a cost difference based on color.

mfhr

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:49 pm
I have dark ones and am happy with them my chaos just don't rise as much as aluminum foil pans

yiddishmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:52 pm
challahchallah wrote:
I’m not sure what you mean by much more economical? You can get light and dark colored pans at all price points. I’ve never noticed a cost difference based on color.

I was referring to OP's original question, if it's worth getting real pans.

Real pans are a lot more economical than repeatedly buying disposable pans.

Seeking

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:10 am
thanks all for your advice. I like when its super crispy so the black sounds a great option. any company that you would recommend over an other?

Seeking

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:11 am
mfhr wrote:
I have dark ones and am happy with them my chaos just don't rise as much as aluminum foil pans

why?

yiddishmom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:12 am
Seeking wrote:
thanks all for your advice. I like when its super crispy so the black sounds a great option. any company that you would recommend over an other?

I have Magic Mill black ones for 4 years already. I'm very happy with them. It's very expensive on Amazon. Get it at your local housewares shop.

Seeking

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:12 am
yiddishmom wrote:

which company are your black ones?

Seeking

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:29 am
oh my the price is beyond, not sure Ill be able to get it. I saw rectangular for like 6 dollars. How come oval is much more?

challahchallah

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 1:06 am
yiddishmom wrote:
I was referring to OP's original question, if it's worth getting real pans.

Real pans are a lot more economical than repeatedly buying disposable pans.

Oops, my mistake—I totally misunderstood what she meant by “real” pans. I agree real pans beat disposable hands down.

PinkFridge

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 7:06 pm
yiddishmom wrote:

I use foil oval ones. I can resuse them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars