Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Frum Jews in South America

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:28 am
I didn't really know where to put this,but I think this is the closest thread to what my question boils down to.

I was was born, and lived, in El Once, in Buenos Aires, til I was 8. We were yekkish MO, and moved to Canada then. Most of my family left Argentina in the following years, and now I have nothing but distant relatives there. My husband is from Santiago, but they left Chile for Israel when he was 10. Most of his family also left.

We only have two teenagers left at home, and have been thinking over the past few years about moving back to South America when we have an empty nest.
We live in Canada, and none of our married kids are nearby.
We've been back to both Buenos Aires and Santiago to visit a couple of times over the years, mostly staid in kosher places and kinda just visited around on our own, we didn't really get to know anyone in the local communities.

We were wondering, to those of you who are frum and living in South America, where are you, and how do you feel about being frum in your country?

We both speak fluent spanish, have jobs that can be done in any country, and can handle south american balagan and heat. We're yekkish but have lived in yeshivish communities our whole lives, so that's what we're primarily accustomed to.
We don't know anyone who moved back over there, only people who moved out, hence why I'm asking here.

Those of you who live in South America, what's life like in your country? Would you recommend it? What are the challenges and the good parts?

Of course, we would visit extensively before settling on any particular place, but I still thought I would ask.

TIA

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 10:14 am
How easy will travel be? For you and your family. Most people when they think of moving will move to where their kids are. Of course, your kids might not be so established wherever they are and might still move.
If you want to pm someone, try Yo'ma.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 6:58 am
amother OP wrote:
I didn't really know where to put this,but I think this is the closest thread to what my question boils down to.

I was was born, and lived, in El Once, in Buenos Aires, til I was 8. We were yekkish MO, and moved to Canada then. Most of my family left Argentina in the following years, and now I have nothing but distant relatives there. My husband is from Santiago, but they left Chile for Israel when he was 10. Most of his family also left.

We only have two teenagers left at home, and have been thinking over the past few years about moving back to South America when we have an empty nest.
We live in Canada, and none of our married kids are nearby.
We've been back to both Buenos Aires and Santiago to visit a couple of times over the years, mostly staid in kosher places and kinda just visited around on our own, we didn't really get to know anyone in the local communities.

We were wondering, to those of you who are frum and living in South America, where are you, and how do you feel about being frum in your country?

We both speak fluent spanish, have jobs that can be done in any country, and can handle south american balagan and heat. We're yekkish but have lived in yeshivish communities our whole lives, so that's what we're primarily accustomed to.
We don't know anyone who moved back over there, only people who moved out, hence why I'm asking here.

Those of you who live in South America, what's life like in your country? Would you recommend it? What are the challenges and the good parts?

Of course, we would visit extensively before settling on any particular place, but I still thought I would ask.

TIA

We live in Once too. I don’t know how it was for you and how much you remember when you lived here, but according to my dh who left in ‘87 it’s very different. The cost of living here is not a lot if you make dollars, but otherwise, everything is very expensive. I can’t really tell you about community because we’re not really part of any. It’s a big, busy city where communities are your shul, school, or maybe building. Being frum here is not any different than other places. There is some anti semitism, but as far as how it affects me, not really. People have said things when passing. We’re not including the Amia bombing of course.

Are you an extrovert or introvert? Do you need to be part of a community? PM and I can get you in touch with some friends who know more and more involved in community life. I know people in Once and Belgrano because my son goes to school in Belgrano.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating