Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Potatonik versus Giant Latke vs Potato Kugel

Amarante

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 9:57 am
I hadn't thought of "potatonik" for many years and I have only the faintest memory of having eaten one. My paternal grandmother evidently made potatonik because I can *hear* my father talking about his mother's potatonik in my mind's ear.

I was looking over recipes I might try to Hanukah and there was one for a "potatonik".

This recipe described it as essentially a giant latke. It has been many many years but the potatonik I ate didn't resemble a latke of any size as I associate a latke with shredded potatoes rather than softer "integrated potatoes"

So I googled and am still confused - there is a potatonik that is essentially a yeasted dish - some are described as almost like a potato bread and then there are version in which the pictures look almost like a kugel with that kind of integrated potato look

So any insight?

amother
Brown

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 11:41 am
Amarante wrote:
I hadn't thought of "potatonik" for many years and I have only the faintest memory of having eaten one. My paternal grandmother evidently made potatonik because I can *hear* my father talking about his mother's potatonik in my mind's ear.

I was looking over recipes I might try to Hanukah and there was one for a "potatonik".

This recipe described it as essentially a giant latke. It has been many many years but the potatonik I ate didn't resemble a latke of any size as I associate a latke with shredded potatoes rather than softer "integrated potatoes"

So I googled and am still confused - there is a potatonik that is essentially a yeasted dish - some are described as almost like a potato bread and then there are version in which the pictures look almost like a kugel with that kind of integrated potato look

So any insight?

Yes potatonik is more of a doughy mix that people even eat cold
Totally unlike kugel or latkes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen