Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
If you did a Shabbos Bar Mitzva, when did you take pics?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:36 pm
Can someone pls help me figure this out?
Doing Shabbos Bar mitzvah IYH. It’s a winter Shabbos , so Shabbos is at approx 5:00.
When to take family pics?!
Friday is going to be such a busy day…hair , makeup etc etc…do we have time for pics?
To do it earlier in the week (Sunday for example) which will def be a quieter day would mean getting hair and makeup done an additional time, special for the pics

amother
Taupe

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 8:51 pm
When is he putting on tefillin
We did it then
The girls and I changed into different outfits mid way

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 6:24 am
I only have a few pics from Motzai Shabbos. Not professional. But great memories.
I took some portraits of the Bar Mitzvah boy all dressed up a week before , on my own.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 8:22 am
Friday when everyone is dressed. You just add that hour to the days schedule

amother
Peru

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 8:27 am
Do what works for you. If you think Friday will be too hectic, get professional pics a different time. There is no rule book. Mazel tov!

chanchy123

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 8:33 am
We didn’t do official pictures- but we took pictures (on our phones) on Motzei Shabbat.

amother
Smokey

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 9:36 am
We did this a couple times and doing it again soon.

We found that doing it in the morning worked for us. We showered and got dressed for pictures. Then changed to weekday clothing after pictures.

We didn't want to do it in the afternoon when out of town guests were showing up (mistake with my oldest) nor right before shabbos when things get hectic.

That said my girls are little, so there is no makeup other than mine. My niece does hair professionally and she did me the favor to do my daughter's hair our last bar mitzvah.

Another day is harder for us with my older boys away at yeshiva.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 7:00 pm
Bumping for more replies

amother
Holly

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 7:02 pm
We did Friday afternoon, after doing hair and makeup but with two hours until shabbos started. It was a summer shabbos. Worked out perfectly.

amother
Peony

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 7:04 pm
We didn't do professional pictures but we told everyone including our guests from oot to come ready for shabbos an hour before licht benching.
We had hot potato kugel for everyone.
And we had tons of pics done on everybody's phone.

amother
Ultramarine

Post Sat, Dec 10 2022, 7:19 pm
We're not the kind of family who goes in for hair styling and makeup, so that wasn't really an issue. It was in the summer, with candle lighting around 7:00, and we asked everyone to arrive by 5:00 to allow time for photos - which were in a park five minutes from the house. Some people didn't arrive in time, so they weren't in the photos. Some people got upset about having made an effort to come early then having to spend a lot of time sitting around in the heat while other groups were taken.

I think next time we'll try to start with immediate family half an hour before the extended family comes, to minimise sitting around time. I'll also make sure to have drinks and something to eat in the park for everyone. It's my son, and I'm too excited to be hungry, but a lot of relatives have had a longish journey with young children, and wouldn't have chosen to spend an hour or more in the heat so that we can have a few photos of them. It might be my simcha, but next time I'll try to be more accommodating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics