Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
Mishnayos at yeshiva shagas aryeh

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 7:04 am
Does anyone know which mishnayos they will be doing throughout ysa? My son wants to learn mishnayos at home but I don’t want him to learn what they will be learning in yeshiva

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 8:46 am
Perfect question for his Rebbi.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 9:09 am
amother Tomato wrote:
Perfect question for his Rebbi.

Thanks I’m not really interested in calling his Rebbi.
I figured if someone can answer me here then that would be much easier

amother
NeonPink

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 9:17 am
You can ask at pta
Or ask the office or principal
Or ask other parents in the school

I remember asking the rebbi at pta which mishnayes my son should do at home

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 9:25 am
Don't most yeshivos skip over seder Zerayim (besides Brachos)? I imagine that the rest of seder Zerayim would be a pretty good bet to not overlap with school.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 10:15 am
amother NeonPink wrote:
You can ask at pta
Or ask the office or principal
Or ask other parents in the school

I remember asking the rebbi at pta which mishnayes my son should do at home

So by pta we asked the Rebbi (my son is in first grade) his Rebbi doesn’t think it’s a good idea to learn mishnayos early before they start bec they should be super excited to start in third grade. He is a very bright boy and a big chinuch expert told us it is a good idea to learn mishnayos with him
That’s why I rather not call the school. Just want to know if anyone here sends to ysa and knows what they learn.

amother
Camellia

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 10:18 am
amother OP wrote:
So by pta we asked the Rebbi (my son is in first grade) his Rebbi doesn’t think it’s a good idea to learn mishnayos early before they start bec they should be super excited to start in third grade. He is a very bright boy and a big chinuch expert told us it is a good idea to learn mishnayos with him
That’s why I rather not call the school. Just want to know if anyone here sends to ysa and knows what they learn.

The rebbe is 100% right.
Why can't he learn chumash with rashi instead?
Or if he's so advanced have him skip a grade.

mha3484

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 10:24 am
Do you have a school supply list that lists the seforim as well? That should give you an indication.

Is he learning rashi yet? My son who is very very bright started rashi at the beginning of second grade. His class started at the end of the year. He taught himself mishnayos in 1st grade because he just took the seforim off the shelf. He started with brachos. But he was still very little he learned it again in 3rd grade and took more out of it. Boredom in school will always be part of his life. He is 12 now and would need to be in mesivta to not be bored probably so I don't make decisions based on that factor. Its not fair to him.

amother
Crocus

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 10:44 am
amother Camellia wrote:
The rebbe is 100% right.

Chumash with Rashi is great, but it's not an "instead," because it is fundamentally a different experience than learning mishnayos. If OP just wants to do something new with him, then I agree learning Rashi script and Chumash with Rashi would fit the bill.

amother
Tomato

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 11:33 am
OP, just curious , is this your oldest ? I think they start with brachos by the way.

amother
Jetblack

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 11:34 am
I'm not familiar with your specific school, but in my experience, boys learn Mishnayos from Berachos and masechtos in Moed - Sukkah, Pesachim, Taanis, and Chagigah come to mind. I would think you're safe choosing something in Nezikin or possibly Nashim for DH to learn with him.

Also, I understand you don't want to speak to the Rebbi, but do you know anyone with sons in older grades there you could ask to confirm?

amother
Carnation

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:00 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
The rebbe is 100% right.
He should not skip a grade. That can be catastrophic socially.

Op I agree learning at home is the way to go.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:16 pm
Thank you to everyone who took the time to respond.
We are deff not looking to skip grades. He enjoys the academic challenges but he’s isn’t above average socially or in sports which is major for boys. We held him back, following a lot of guidance that we received. We are working on play dates to help him socially and he goes to sports with friends on Sundays. I’m not asking for everyone’s opinions if we should be doing mishnayos. We were told (not by his school) that it is a great idea but we should do mishnayos that he won’t be learning in elementary school which is why I was asking my question.
That’s what I’m looking for. Thank you!

keym

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:23 pm
Most Lakewood schools learn from: Brachos, Yuma, Sukka, Rosh Hashanah, Pesachim, Megillah, Tamid, Tainis. Also Baba Metzia and Baba Kama is where they learn the first Gemara, so they spend a lot of time on the mishna also.

Teaching him any zeraim (except Brachos) should be fine.
From nezikin (except Baba Metzia and Baba Kama).
Learning mishnayos Shabbos is usually safe and productive. It's related to hilchos Shabbos so it's not remote and unrelatable, but they usually don't learn it in school.

I don't know shagas Aryeh specifically but I know other Lakewood schools.

cupcake123

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:27 pm
Someone in chinuch told me to learn Navi if your looking for extras. There's always more Navi to learn and it's super interesting

amother
OP

Post Fri, Dec 09 2022, 12:35 pm
keym wrote:
Most Lakewood schools learn from: Brachos, Yuma, Sukka, Rosh Hashanah, Pesachim, Megillah, Tamid, Tainis. Also Baba Metzia and Baba Kama is where they learn the first Gemara, so they spend a lot of time on the mishna also.

Teaching him any zeraim (except Brachos) should be fine.
From nezikin (except Baba Metzia and Baba Kama).
Learning mishnayos Shabbos is usually safe and productive. It's related to hilchos Shabbos so it's not remote and unrelatable, but they usually don't learn it in school.

I don't know shagas Aryeh specifically but I know other Lakewood schools.

Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries