Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Silver Spring, MD?

amother

Post Thu, Jun 05 2008, 7:50 pm
DH just got a job offer in DC, so we’re looking into Silver Spring. We heard about the 3 different neighborhoods there, but we don’t know anyone who lives there now (just people who grew up there.) We are more on the “yeshivish” side of things.

What is the community like there? What are the families like, especially those who send to the Torah School?

What is the commute like to DC? How do you get there? Bus, subway, drive?

Is the neighborhood walkable—do you need a car to get everywhere? Can you manage with just one car?

We have two kids, and most likely, I will be working, part time. What kind of child care is there?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:22 am
There actually is a kollel opening up this summer, as they are hoping to get a more "yeshivish" influence there....
I believe it's Rabbi Winter's son who is heading it by his father's shul, and the yungerleit are looking to move to that area if that helps any.

dmmama

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 7:42 am
Although I am in Baltimore now, I have been in the general DC area for quite a while... I would be happy to give you any info, including names and numbers of ppl to talk to who still live there - PM me!

There are more than the 3 "main" communities you mentioned, but the yeshivish one you are probably talking about is called White Oak (R' Kalman Winter). Like someone else said, they just got a kollel.

Everything in the DC area will probably give you sticker shock - rent, housing, daycare, etc. I know there are at least 2 people who do playgroups/babysitting in their homes in White Oak, but I don't think there are any liscenced daycares. At any rate, I think a lot of ppl use a daycare that is closer to their work, so they don't have to pay for commute time.

Most people wouldn't drive all the way into DC on a reglar basis - they drive or take a bus to the subway station (we call it Metro). The Metro is great for getting around inside DC itself, but not so good for the suburbs. If he can get to the office OK, you can manage with one car... but it is mostly suburbs, so it would probably be kind of hard.

This area is known for horrible traffic and commuting, so a lot of businesses try to work around that by offering flex-time and working from home. Good luck, and please ask me any follow-up questions!

amother

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 8:31 am
I grew up in Silver Spring and my parents still live there.
You pretty much have three choices of neighborhood, White Oak, Kemp Mill, and Woodside. When I was growing up White Oak was the more Yeshivish place, but there is a Kollel in Kemp Mill, the Yeshivah Gedolah or is that not there anymore???
I grew up in Kemp Mill. Each time I go back it looks more and more yeshivish to me....

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 11:03 am
I used to live in White Oak. The Winters are amazing and the community is wonderful. Its nice to have a nice sized community (200 families +/_) all in one shul. Everyone knows eachother somewhat and its less likely to get lost in the crowd. I was really on a spiritual high when I lived there, such a special place.

Mimisinger

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 11:08 am
I lived in both Md. and DC. If you're Yeshivish, White Oak is definitely the community for you, other than Woodside and Kemp Mill. And these are the most established communities in the area. Kemp Mill has maybe a couple of hats at Shomrei Emuna, but it's more modox and "centrist orthodox." Kemp Mill Synagogue and the other YI on University Blvd. are more modox. Woodside is also more modox. So, if you're more yeshivish, than Rabbi Winter's community in White Oak is probably for you. If you want something more mixed, look at Kemp Mill. My friend babysits in her house, and I think most babysitting in the area does that. They have some nice schools, and I have heard great things about the torah school in Silver Spring. It's a great mix of torahdik kids, even my Lubavitch rabbi sends his kids there.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 10:06 am
What is the status of the kollel now?

Who do I get in touch with regarding it?

Mirabelle

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 6:41 pm
I guess call someone at the Yeshiva of Greater Washingon...you can google them.

TightRopeWalker

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 6:52 pm
shosh2008 wrote:
I guess call someone at the Yeshiva of Greater Washingon...you can google them.

http://www.yeshiva.edu/

dmmama

Post Wed, Jul 16 2008, 7:50 pm
The kollel in White Oak is not affiliated with the Yeshiva of Greater Washington (YGW)... that is a highschool (girls & boys on separate campuses), with a yeshiva gedola program in Kemp Mill.

I have phone numbers of people in White Oak who would know about the kollel, but I'm not going to post them on the internet... and you are amother, so I can't pm you. But if you pm me, I will be happy to give you the names and numbers. I also promise not to tell anyone who you are! Wink

TightRopeWalker

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 7:23 am
dmmama wrote:
The kollel in White Oak is not affiliated with the Yeshiva of Greater Washington (YGW)... that is a highschool (girls & boys on separate campuses), with a yeshiva gedola program in Kemp Mill.

I have phone numbers of people in White Oak who would know about the kollel, but I'm not going to post them on the internet... and you are amother, so I can't pm you. But if you pm me, I will be happy to give you the names and numbers. I also promise not to tell anyone who you are! Wink

I was aware of that, but are they trying to attract the same kinda crowd? I'm just curious about the dynamics since SS is not that big.

Post Thu, Jul 17 2008, 8:08 am
The kollel in White Oak is attracting Ner Yisroel type guys. I know of 2-4 couples going, PM me if you want their numbers.

The kollel in Kemp Mill (my dh was in it a few years ago) has more of a mix.

Both kollels are small. Kemp Mill has at most 12, I think White Oak is only going to have 5 or 6.

In terms of which neighborhood is more "yeshivish." White Oak has more of a yeshivish leaning, but a lot of the kollel couples from Kemp Mill end up staying there, post-kollel. And that's where the Rosh Kollel and Mashgiach (Ruchani) live. So bottom line, there is a yeshivish community in KM, too.

Feel free to PM me if you want anymore info. I know lots of people in both communities.

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Aug 04 2008, 6:26 pm
There is a nice nucleus of more yeshivish families in Kemp Mill than there was even five years ago; they are sort of clustered around a very well-known Rav from Israel who came over a few years ago to run the kollel/yeshiva.

I know some of the families; if you're interested in finding out more, please pm me and I'll get you in touch. These are very yeshivish, frum families.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating