Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Did you used to be fat?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 12:29 am
For those who used to be fat, is it hard to maintain weight loss? Please only answer if you've kept the weight off for many years.

I used to be a healthy weight, gained a lot, lost some, gained more, etc. I struggle with consistency and motivation. I am eat healthy exercise regularly for a couple months and then something causes me to fall off the bandwagon (stress, being sick, holidays etc) and I don't get back on.

I recently started a new weight loss program with a coach who is helping me understand how to develop lifelong habits for life. I'm just wondering if this works or if you just keep regaining and losing the same 20 or 40 pounds your whole life

Rappel

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 12:49 am
I think human bodies and needs are dynamic, and it only makes sense to change things up with the seasons and changes in your life.

agreer

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:01 am
I once heard a frightening statistic - 95% of people who lose a substantial amount of weight via dieting do not maintain the loss for more than 5 years. Only 5% of people who lose weight via diet maintain it long-term.

So.. I can't answer your questions because I'm still dieting and I haven't lost significant weight yet.... but do I think it's going to be even harder to maintain than to lose? Heck ya.

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 1:30 am
I'm not sure if this counts but I gained a ton of weight in seminary like a 50 lb. I gained less weight when I was pregnant with my first child to put it in perspective. I literally lived in a stretchy skirt and did not realize how much I had gained even though that sounds crazy. I was really careful after that and lost the weight and have never gained weight like that since. But I also make him very healthy lifestyle an exercise now in my 40s and I'm starting intermittent fasting. I did it before I lost some weight. I'm not fat but I want to look extra fit at the moment. I definitely think it takes effort for most people. Like I don't think you can eat whatever you want and not figure that y'all gain it back. I definitely made a lifestyle change that haven't changed in the past 30 years. Where I pretty much eat healthy but splurge on occasion

momomany

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 8:55 am
I am bh maintaining an 80-90 lb weight loss for 17 years (2 children were.born during that time and I gained about 20-30 lbs with each pregnancy which I lost a short while later). To.answer the OP, I do not find it hard to maintain since I just continue eating the way I did when I lost the weight 17 years ago. It is self understood that if I eat more calories I will regain the weight. There is no magic that will enable anyone to maintain a weight loss if they up their calorie intake.

amother
Honeydew

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 9:49 am
I have lost and gained weight since having kids and have never been able to keep it off for longer than a year.
I am the statistic.
I feel and look horrible this struggle of mine has wasted tons of my money time self esteem etc and I have no real success.
I've tried it all. Even intuitive eating. Unless I'm actively dieting, my weight just climbs.
I literally just keep trying and trying but it feels completely pointless.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Wed, Dec 14 2022, 10:31 am
I was overweight my whole life until I joined OA 8 years ago and lost a significant amount of weight. Bh I have kept it off relatively easily as long as I do what I need to do. It is no longer a constant stress and focus in my life. Tyh!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise