Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Twins nicknames cute and work or way ridiculous
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:02 pm
No offense, I'd be nauseated, whether it was the real names or nicknames that rhymed.
Just so you know, I have both identical twins and boy-girl twins and at no time did we give them rhyming names, not for real and not as nicknames. In fact we rejected some names for sounding too similar to another name that we wanted.

It's one thing if a couple gets married and they happen to be named Jonah and Sharonah, what are you going to do, not marry each other? But please don't impose this cutesy-poo nonsense on your innocent children. It's just too tacky.

Not to mention, Mellie for a boy is a total no-go.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:08 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP:
1) I agree, I was curious as to what others think.
2) Dh actually said he couldnt do Mel, he has female co-workers with that nickname. If it was Elimelech we would just do Eli or some variation but its just Meilech.
3)put it up only so people understood that that name isnt really an option to use, unless its really the kinda thing that pregnancy hormones are exacerbating and its a "get over it situation" just use that nickname...

Meilech is Elimelech in Chasidish vernacular.

if you dont like Meilech just call him Eli.

amother
Iris

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:10 pm
amother Thistle wrote:
Why not aryeh and malya? I personally don’t love Mellie for a boy but def not as a twin to malya.

It should be with Mazal whatever u choose!

aryeh and malya?
it will be fodder for the kids to make fun of.

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:10 pm
Forgive my asking, but why do you have to have nicknames decided on in advance? Why not let nicknames, if any, suggest themselves on their own? Maybe a young cousin mispronounces the name in a charming way. Maybe something about the baby's personality makes itself obvious (like Zippy --not Tzippy--for a child who is very energetic and scoots around at the speed of light.)

It is halachickly permissible to call an infant by his official name. Even if he has two names. Promise. Ask your rav if you don't believe me.

amother
Nemesia

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:14 pm
amother Iris wrote:
aryeh and malya?
it will be fodder for the kids to make fun of.

Why?

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:28 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP here: essentially we do need a nickname for him. My family members name is a very old man grown up name and neither of us sees ourselves calling a little baby/boy by that name. My husband okay calling Aharon but im not the biggest fan so will end up using a nickname, I'm struggling with hurting my family by not using and calling him by my family members name (hence putting aryeh in there), but really don't like the combo of Mellie and Mali AT ALL

Boys names options we have are: Reuven, Meilech, Aharon those three are probably a given in some order, we can add Aryeh, Chanan as a connection to my family member.
Girl is going to probably be a variation of Malya with either Levana, Tiferes, Zissel, or Tova (last two are family names wed use just to be respectful but we both agree on and love Malya)

Just so you know, there’s a sefer on naming babies, and a lot of people don’t know this, but naming with 2 names after2 different people essentially means they’re not named after either one.
If you intend for a baby to be named after a specific person, they have to have their exact name.

If you name two different names after two different people, you cancel out both and you’ve named after no one.

People should be cognizant of whether that’s what they want

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:30 pm
amother Aqua wrote:
Do Eli and Ellie

Hope you’re kidding Can't Believe It

amother
Smokey

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 6:09 pm
I have two year old (identical) twins and am so grateful they have totally different names and initials. Practically I can label things like shoes with just one initial. And they’re so different and I feel like it helps contribute to their individuality. They’re not a cutesy unit but rather two adorable little boys who happen to look alike and be twins. For your kids sake I wouldn’t do it.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 6:53 pm
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Hope you’re kidding Can't Believe It

Yes 😊

amother
Navyblue

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 7:11 pm
My MIL thought it would be adorable to call my kids Tammy and Sammy..both short for their hebrew names. I did not go for it!

amother
Camellia

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 7:18 pm
Reminds me of Pinky and Chinky from the BY Times!

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 7:25 pm
Tzvi and Tzivya
Nachum and nechama
Chaim and Chaya

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 7:38 pm
IMO-

Call the boy Aharon
Call the girl Malya
Nicknames Ari & Mali

IMO

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 7:47 pm
amother Butterscotch wrote:
How about Eli and Mali?
(Elimelech)

OP: We know for sure the name isn't Elimelech. It was looked into.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 7:51 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
IMO-

Call the boy Aharon
Call the girl Malya
Nicknames Ari & Mali

IMO

TY!

I think this is the way its heading. DH really likes the name Aharon and who Aharon Hakohen was and I have a strong connection to the Malya in regards to being for my family member (it's like the ruach hakodesh happened before giving birth, the way it came about). I'm sure there will be some disappointed people but after having other kids whom are named and called by names others prefer, we are gonna go towards names WE want and like etc.

amother
Bronze

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 8:14 pm
What so funny is that I can't stand names with "ee" sounding endings. Every single one of my siblings in law have ee nickname endings (chani, rivki, dini, Yossi, yoni....) And none of my siblings do.
4 kids so far and we are still "ee" free Smile

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 8:37 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
IMO-

Call the boy Aharon
Call the girl Malya
Nicknames Ari & Mali

IMO

This sounds so cute!

(I personally liked Melli too… I guess I’m the odd one out;) I have a Mullie- nickname for Shmuel. Only family calls him that at this point, but still love the name)

Shopmiami49

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 8:56 pm
I know a little boy named Mellie and I always thought it was an adorable name. Fit his personality so well, too

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 11:48 pm
I know a 2 yo named Mellie. From elimelech. It's very cute. No weird

Knowing their mother, she'll continue calling him Mellie In a loving way, but rebbeim by age 5 will be calling him elimelech and that will be the end of the melli outside of close family and friends

Reality

Post Tue, Dec 20 2022, 12:57 am
amother Aquamarine wrote:
Just so you know, there’s a sefer on naming babies, and a lot of people don’t know this, but naming with 2 names after2 different people essentially means they’re not named after either one.
If you intend for a baby to be named after a specific person, they have to have their exact name.

If you name two different names after two different people, you cancel out both and you’ve named after no one.

People should be cognizant of whether that’s what they want

Many people don't buy into that school of thought.

In fact, it usually is used as a weapon by meddling grandparents to overstep their boundaries.

If OP and her husband are OK combining names than there is no reason to foment a disagreement.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names