Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Do you light the menorah?
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

Do you as a woman light the menorah?
Yes of course  
 16%  [ 31 ]
No not usually  
 83%  [ 152 ]
Total Votes : 183

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 6:05 pm
zaq wrote:
I don't light "as a woman." I light as a Jew.

We're women. Like it or not, we are different from men. Even as Jews.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 6:16 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:

We are not different from men with regard to lighting the menorah. We have an equal obligation and (as noted upthread) can even be motzi men in this mitzvah.

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 6:17 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I lit till I was married.

But my DD only lit till she was 8 because my DH told her it may be brocha levatolah. He gave her a little gift for agreeing to stop.

Why would it be a brocha levatolah?

amother
Seablue

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 6:22 pm
I lit until I got married, and then stopped because I heard that married women don’t light since “ishto k’gufo.” A few years ago, I saw a tshuva from R’Chaim Kanievski that married women can light their own menorahs, since she’s only k’gufo [with regard to this mitzvah] if she wants to be k’gufo. Since then I have gone back to lighting on my own. Smile

amother
Forsythia

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 6:23 pm
Yes

amother
Orange

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 6:51 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Of course it's not a bracha livatala! He should of asked a Rav. Just like everyone can make their own kiddush or havdalah no issues. We all have a chiyuv to do so, but we can also just have someone else do it and they have us in mind.

We hold it's a brachah levatalah to make a separate brocha for for kiddush or challah etc.

If there is a reason such as an upgrade of wine over grape juice then it's fine.

amother
Blueberry

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 7:19 pm
I lit until I got married. My mother doesn't light and I just figured it was ishto k'gufo. I missed lighting though, so if I'm not in niddah then DH sometimes passes me the shamash to light the last couple of candles. This year I'm lighting with my 5 year old and saying the brachos with him so I feel like I'm lighting for myself too. All my kids light once they're old enough, including the girls.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 7:28 pm
tweety1 wrote:
My girls light till bas mitzvah if they want to. Otherwise no.

Why do they stop after bat mitzvah?

Wolfsbane

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 7:33 pm
LovesHashem wrote:
Because they hold one menorah is neccesary but the boys have for chinuch purposes. Just like how many people only boy lulav sets for their boys and not their girls.

Does chinuch apply if the boys are over 13?

amother
Butterscotch

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 8:11 pm
amother Seablue wrote:
I lit until I got married, and then stopped because I heard that married women don’t light since “ishto k’gufo.” A few years ago, I saw a tshuva from R’Chaim Kanievski that married women can light their own menorahs, since she’s only k’gufo [with regard to this mitzvah] if she wants to be k’gufo. Since then I have gone back to lighting on my own. Smile
lol my husband told me this last year, and that’s when I stopped lighting my own menorah, I felt like it was making a statement that I didn’t want to be kegufo. I felt weird “stating” that.

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 9:57 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:

"As a woman" is extraneous here. If she had said "as a woman, do you feel discriminated against" that would make sense. I do or do not feel discriminated against as a woman. Maybe I feel discriminated against as a Jew but not as a woman, or vice versa. Or both, or neither. As a woman, I prefer attending all-women events. (If I weren't a woman, I wouldn't.) As a woman, I worry about the demands of balancing a home and a job. (If I weren't a woman, I wouldn't have to.)

But I'm not lighting "as a woman." I'm a woman who is lighting, and the fact that I'm a woman has nothing to do with my lighting. I'm lighting as a person, not AS a woman. Yes, I know what she means, but the construction is wrong.

Unless of course she was addressing the transgender crowd: "As a man, I used to light, but as a woman I no longer do."

Any grammarians who can explain why the "as a woman" didn't belong in the OP's question? I know it's wrong but lack the vocabulary to say why. It's not precisely a non sequitur but something like it.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:24 pm
zaq wrote:
"As a woman" is extraneous here. If she had said "as a woman, do you feel discriminated against" that would make sense. I do or do not feel discriminated against as a woman. Maybe I feel discriminated against as a Jew but not as a woman, or vice versa. Or both, or neither. As a woman, I prefer attending all-women events. (If I weren't a woman, I wouldn't.) As a woman, I worry about the demands of balancing a home and a job. (If I weren't a woman, I wouldn't have to.)

But I'm not lighting "as a woman." I'm a woman who is lighting, and the fact that I'm a woman has nothing to do with my lighting. I'm lighting as a person, not AS a woman. Yes, I know what she means, but the construction is wrong.

Any grammarians who can explain why the "as a woman" didn't belong in the OP's question? I know it's wrong but lack the vocabulary to say why. It's not precisely a non sequitur but something like it.

I understand what you're saying.
But I still think "as a woman" belongs there.
I guess because I look at a man's lighting and a woman's lighting differently.

Miranda Wright

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:30 pm
Yes, I do. It's something that has been very meaningful to me since I was a child.

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:43 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:
I understand what you're saying.
But I still think "as a woman" belongs there.
I guess because I look at a man's lighting and a woman's lighting differently.

That's because you thinking of a woman who participates through her husband's lighting. Or a child who participates through her father's.
However, a woman on her own is just as obligated as a man, and it is no different.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:44 pm
amother Ballota wrote:
However, a woman on her own is just as obligated as a man, and it is no different.

I don't think this is true...

amother
Ballota

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:54 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:

Yes, it is. I was single and living on my own and I was told I had to light. Yeshivish for reference.

LovesHashem

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:54 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:

Have you read of the pages until now? That's the main opinion.

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:56 pm
Ok, ok, I'm done here!

Wolfsbane

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:58 pm
zaq wrote:

Unless of course she was addressing the transgender crowd: "As a man, I used to light, but as a woman I no longer do."

Gender is relevant to the question, though. Poll results indicate that most of the women who responded to the poll do not generally light. I would assume that the results on Abafather would be pretty different. (Unless your point is simply grammatical, in which case I don't understand it.)

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Dec 21 2022, 10:59 pm
amother Bergamot wrote:

What you think and what halacha requires appear to be different. Care to back this up?
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics