Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Gemach service was not paid for, WWYD?
Previous  1  2

amother
Zinnia

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 5:11 am
Not to be cynical but welcome to the world of running a gemach! I run two gemachs and I'm so happy for the zchus but I've learned that people will take advantage all the time, whether intentionally or just because they are desperate or socially off.

Both of my gemachs are free of charge. For one, I lend something out and I require a deposit which is returned when they return the item. I used to not charge anything but after I had to literally run after people and make a hundred phone calls to get it back, I started asking for a deposit. It helped but one of my items has not been returned for a few months and I lost the person's number so now I am short one item. I can use the deposit to buy a new one but it's a pain to order it.

My second gemach gives something away for free but only one per person and I can't tell you how many people beg me for two or ask to take a few home to show their spouse and promise they will bring them back and then I have to go chasing them because they never come back. I had to be very strict with this gemach because I learned that I just can't do any favors anymore.

My advice to you is to ask for the price before they leave and tell them they can return it and get their money back within 30 days. You need clear rules or people take advantage.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 5:59 am
I think you should text the woman the following-

You may have not been aware but the gemach fee is $50 to borrow one of our dresses. They must be returned within 2 weeks.
We do not give out free gowns to keep.
It seems that you might have wanted to purchase this gown from us. Please either pay ($xxx) or return the gown by tomorrow.
Thank you

She basically stole a gown from you…

amother
Hydrangea

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 7:49 am
[quote="amother NeonBlue" I had NO IDEA that they charged money... I just thought an gemach is a beautiful place for frum people to share what they have. .. Perhaps she can’t afford it and SHE needs the chessed,

This. IMHO if you charge money to give to another org, you're not a gmach but a nonregistered not for profit. I always believed that gmachs were for the benefit of the customers, not to raise funds for the org of the gmach owner's choice. Evidently I was wrong. I understand that for some things you need to charge, like for cleaning bridal gowns, or require a deposit to ensure the return of the borrowed item, but not to charge just for use of something.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 8:04 am
Why are you giving up on family time? You sure this is the right thing for you to be doing? Not judging at all, it’s so nice that you’re helping people out, but maybe the reason you’re so upset is because you resent giving up family time which is a legitimate complaint. You don’t have to give that up.

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:25 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
I think you should text the woman the following-

You may have not been aware but the gemach fee is $50 to borrow one of our dresses. They must be returned within 2 weeks.
We do not give out free gowns to keep.
It seems that you might have wanted to purchase this gown from us. Please either pay ($xxx) or return the gown by tomorrow.
Thank you

She basically stole a gown from you…

It seems from the op that the item is given to keep, not use & return.

If this is the case & the money collected goes to tzedakka then I don't see the issue other than op's ( very justified) frustration. Op didn't actually lose anything & she would've given it for free had the woman asked.

Op thank you for doing whatever it is, gemachs are incredible chesed.

Sebastian

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:30 am
Op as someone who has run a gemach. You MUST charge
They cannot leave without paying. If they bring it back within x amount of time, unused in new condition, you will refund. Be firm and stick to this policy.

(I had an awful experience lending out a pricey item. Someone borrowed it, didnt pay the nominal fee for borrowing and didnt return for 6 mo. When they returned it, it was damaged. I never got a cent from them but it did change my loaning practices)

amother
Amaryllis

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:32 am
amother Hydrangea wrote:
[quote="amother NeonBlue" I had NO IDEA that they charged money... I just thought an gemach is a beautiful place for frum people to share what they have. .. Perhaps she can’t afford it and SHE needs the chessed,

This. IMHO if you charge money to give to another org, you're not a gmach but a nonregistered not for profit. I always believed that gmachs were for the benefit of the customers, not to raise funds for the org of the gmach owner's choice. Evidently I was wrong. I understand that for some things you need to charge, like for cleaning bridal gowns, or require a deposit to ensure the return of the borrowed item, but not to charge just for use of something.

I didn't want to bring this up since op seems so nice.. but I have to agree. I've been very frustrated a long time ago when I went to a gemach to pick up a whole bundle of things I pre-ordered & the woman asked for a nice amount of $ because " I can't do this for free". This was in addition of paying retail price for the non- returnable items. She was basically running a business under the guise of a gemach. She did eventually open a retail store instead.

Another time I borrowed wedding shoes & they didn't even ask for a deposit! I still remember the kindness over a decade later. As an overwhelmed kalah it was really nice.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:47 am
amother Amaryllis wrote:
I didn't want to bring this up since op seems so nice.. but I have to agree. I've been very frustrated a long time ago when I went to a gemach to pick up a whole bundle of things I pre-ordered & the woman asked for a nice amount of $ because " I can't do this for free". This was in addition of paying retail price for the non- returnable items. She was basically running a business under the guise of a gemach. She did eventually open a retail store instead.

Another time I borrowed wedding shoes & they didn't even ask for a deposit! I still remember the kindness over a decade later. As an overwhelmed kalah it was really nice.

I changed details in my OP of what type of gemach I have since I dont want to be ID, but this item usually costs a few thousand dollars and I charge 75$ instead. Ive had women come that could not afford the 75$ and I happily allowed them to take it for free

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:49 am
amother Mauve wrote:
Why are you giving up on family time? You sure this is the right thing for you to be doing? Not judging at all, it’s so nice that you’re helping people out, but maybe the reason you’re so upset is because you resent giving up family time which is a legitimate complaint. You don’t have to give that up.

I used to do it every other night but now I limited it to once a week instead. I am happy to do this and my husband goes to night seder earlier on the nights I take appts

Bnei Berak 10

Post Sun, Dec 25 2022, 10:56 am
Deposit and strict rules
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette