Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Bais Yaakov Ateres Miriam (BYAM) Far Rockaway

mother36

Post Wed, Dec 28 2022, 10:45 am
I know the high school just started this year, but can anyone give me information about the high school? I'm going to have to start looking in the coming school year for my dd and wanted to find out what my options are. Questions such as where are the students from, what the academics are like and the teachers. Is it professionally run, how is Mrs. Sokoloff's interaction with the students? Any information is greatly appreciated.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 9:14 am
I have two girls in the elementary school and also watching the highschool.

From what I hear it is similar to the elementary school and so far the girls are happy. They did a very good job hiring staff.

TAG is currently only taking their own 8th graders into their 9th grade. tmm takes in a few new kids but they are really full from their own 8th grade and between queens girls and tag girls and now byam girls they are getting way more applicants than available slots. A few girls will come and go but like all local girls highschool it is mostly a continuation of elementary school.

mother36

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 11:18 am
Thank you so much for your response. May I ask if your girls are currently in BYAM elementary? I'm just trying to figure out what perspective you're coming from.

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 11:55 am
mother36 wrote:
Thank you so much for your response. May I ask if your girls are currently in BYAM elementary? I'm just trying to figure out what perspective you're coming from.

Yes. I have two girls in the elementary.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 12:17 pm
mother36 wrote:
I know the high school just started this year, but can anyone give me information about the high school? I'm going to have to start looking in the coming school year for my dd and wanted to find out what my options are. Questions such as where are the students from, what the academics are like and the teachers. Is it professionally run, how is Mrs. Sokoloff's interaction with the students? Any information is greatly appreciated.

They were clear at their open house that they have very few slots available for non BYAM students. They said if they had enough applicants from other places they would think about opening a second class however it seemed like the slots would definitely be very limited. They also said at the open house that their priorities for incoming families are tznius and no technology at home whatsoever.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 12:40 pm
amother Pumpkin wrote:
They were clear at their open house that they have very few slots available for non BYAM students. They said if they had enough applicants from other places they would think about opening a second class however it seemed like the slots would definitely be very limited. They also said at the open house that their priorities for incoming families are tznius and no technology at home whatsoever.

No technology whatsoever? Ateres Miriam?? I find this very hard to believe

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 12:48 pm
The elementary handbook seems to take a very level headed approach with technology, it’s here to stay and we have to work with it not ban it.

The rules are kids can’t be on social media or own their own devices. Kids shouldn’t have their own email addresses and the computer should obviously be filtered and kids shouldn’t be alone online.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 1:55 pm
amother Grape wrote:
The elementary handbook seems to take a very level headed approach with technology, it’s here to stay and we have to work with it not ban it.

The rules are kids can’t be on social media or own their own devices. Kids shouldn’t have their own email addresses and the computer should obviously be filtered and kids shouldn’t be alone online.

Many many of the eighth graders have their own phones/devices. And bring them to class get togethers… just saying

amother
Grape

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 2:38 pm
amother Anemone wrote:
Many many of the eighth graders have their own phones/devices. And bring them to class get togethers… just saying

I’m not surprised. I’m sure plenty of bby and tag 8th graders have their own devices too. I don’t think that’s a problem unique to byam. I jsut have a very hard time believing that they want technology free homes in 2022 in the five towns when just about every parent in the elementary school
Has a smartphone. One of my daughters has one mom not on the WhatsApp chat and the other daughter there are two moms and one is rabbi Neuman’s daughter in law.

amother
RosePink

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 2:55 pm
Just chiming in here. Not specific to this school at all but this very bais yaakovy approach of no tech ta home no devices yadaya our girls don’t do that is so out of touch and heads in the sand. Instead of working with the girls on how to properly approach the challenges of the day in a more general sense. I’ve heard of number of schools that have a “no texting challenge” for 30 days when most of student body has own devices. This is a pet peeve of mine so out of touch! Nothing to do with BYAM I just see this trend in bais yaakovs.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Fri, Dec 30 2022, 4:02 pm
The girl I know in the 9th grade has access to email etc
Her family is normal yeshivish, not on technology all day, but yes with access.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 6:13 pm
I know some BYAM hs families- the policy is actually limited technology- nowadays it makes sense to (as BYAM HS does) to allow flip phones with talk and text, to be handed in when the girls arrive at school. What they do ask is for their girls not to be on social media- aka tik tok etc.
Not thinking the hanhala "has their head in the sand" but trying to help students navigate technology as best we can in today's world- I have heard they will be instituting programming to do just that. Most Bais Yaakov high schools do.
As to the principal- she has established close relationships with her students- I even heard she bakes cookies for them and the interaction is warm and supportive The staff and running of the school sounds quite professional for a new school- let's watch and see-
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children