Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Price for homemade sourdough bread
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:08 am
The problem in lakewood is that a specific person started selling their homemade sourdough challah a few years ago and charging a lot. Due to her situation people were encouraged to support her. So while sourdough challah used to be $7-$8 in the stores now it’s easily $14-$15 because it became the new normal which really isn’t right.

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:22 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
The problem in lakewood is that a specific person started selling their homemade sourdough challah a few years ago and charging a lot. Due to her situation people were encouraged to support her. So while sourdough challah used to be $7-$8 in the stores now it’s easily $14-$15 because it became the new normal which really isn’t right.

There’s no possible way to make money charging $7-8 for a loaf. They were probably losing money at that point. Making real sourdough bread is a very involved, time consuming process.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:39 am
amother Camellia wrote:
There’s no possible way to make money charging $7-8 for a loaf. They were probably losing money at that point. Making real sourdough bread is a very involved, time consuming process.

Yes, we all know it’s an involved process but this is what the stores were selling it for just a few years ago

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:48 am
amother Mulberry wrote:
Yes, we all know it’s an involved process but this is what the stores were selling it for just a few years ago

So if they decided they need to turn a profit on this product suddenly they’re criminals? You don’t HAVE to buy it. Obviously there’s a market for them, at this price.

amother
Mulberry

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:01 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
So if they decided they need to turn a profit on this product suddenly they’re criminals? You don’t HAVE to buy it. Obviously there’s a market for them, at this price.

Oh.. I definitely don’t buy it!!

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 5:17 pm
Thank you for all the responses. I really appreciate everyone’s input! If anyone has more to share please continue sharing Smile

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 5:19 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:

Bingo still has for $8.99 or $7.99, I forget

amother
Snowdrop

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 5:23 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
In Lakewood I paid 15-17
Eta for spelt

That’s high
Gingerbread House has for $12, Glatt Gourmet (the take out, not supermarket) has great ones for I believe same price, Bingo is much cheaper

Gourmet Glatt, Aisle 9 and other places are about$14-15

amother
Camellia

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 5:28 pm
I highly doubt that bingo’s sourdough bread doesn’t have yeast

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:36 pm
I sell for $14 and only by request. I don't do it for the parnassa but because I enjoy the process. When I am in the mood to bake, I post on my whattsapp chat, and people order then too.

amother
Steel

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:45 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:

Most stores sourdough is not authentic and have yeast. Stores also use commercial machinery to do most of the work. When someone sells sourdough from home, it's generally authentic and it gets done mostly by hand. Way more labor goes in to sourdough baked at home, so of course it's more expensive. And the taste of homemade sourdough, cannot be compared to the taste of store bought.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:15 am
OP, what did you decide after hearing all these factors? Hatzlacha!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 2:19 pm
amother Camellia wrote:
I highly doubt that bingo’s sourdough bread doesn’t have yeast

it probably has citric acid too

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 2:25 pm
I didnt read the whole thread but I recently saw a recipe in one of the mags for Beer bread and was meant to taste the same as sourdough bread.

Only has 3 ingredients and was super easy.
Il post it if anyone is interested.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 2:31 pm
amother Pewter wrote:
I didnt read the whole thread but I recently saw a recipe in one of the mags for Beer bread and was meant to taste the same as sourdough bread.

Only has 3 ingredients and was super easy.
Il post it if anyone is interested.

I’m interested! I started making sourdough but it’s not perfect yet so I’d love to do a side by side comparison

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 2:43 pm
3 cups self raising flour
3 tbsp sugat
1 12-oz (354-ml) bottle of beer

Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C).
Line a 4×8 inch loaf pan.
Place all ingr in boel and stir w wooden spoon until combined.
Pour batter into parchment lined pan .
Bake for 50-60 mins or until loaf sounds hollow when bottom is tapped.

Note convert regular flour into self rising by adding 1 tsp baking powder and a small dash pf salt per cup pf flour.

Sarah faygie Berkowitz
Family table.

Sorry couldnt copy recipe so missed out blurb

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:06 pm
amother Honeysuckle wrote:
OP, what did you decide after hearing all these factors? Hatzlacha!

Still haven’t decided for sure. But if I do decide to sell, I wouldn’t do it for less than $15.
Also a bit nervous that maybe one week it may not come out as good, and if people are paying for it I want it to be an amazing product.

amother
Mulberry

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:51 pm
Do you need to get a hechsher?

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 5:53 pm
amother Steel wrote:
Most stores sourdough is not authentic and have yeast. Stores also use commercial machinery to do most of the work. When someone sells sourdough from home, it's generally authentic and it gets done mostly by hand. Way more labor goes in to sourdough baked at home, so of course it's more expensive. And the taste of homemade sourdough, cannot be compared to the taste of store bought.

Homemade also doesn’t have a hashgacha on it most cases

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 6:11 pm
amother Mulberry wrote:
Do you need to get a hechsher?

The people who have asked me would definitely buy without me having a hechsher. That being said, I need to find out from my Rav. I have heard that selling homemade food without a hechsher may be a problem.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics