Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
It's New Years, so let's wake up all the neighbors
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:06 am
Why is that okay? What if I wanted my baby to sleep tonight, even though they have a holiday? What if dh has to be up at 5:30 am to go to work? Yes, work on Sunday, New Years. He's even doing a double shift to make up for all the partying people who won't be finished sleeping off their hangovers and will be staying home. And he'll have to do it after not getting sleep because ALL of our neighbors feel a need to scream and do fire works and whatever else.

Some people still have lives even though it's now 2023. I get annoyed every year. Am I just a hopeless kill joy?

amother
Outerspace

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:07 am
RAAAAAHHHH I hate fireworks
Use extra loud white noise

gr82no

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:08 am
Same here! Why can’t they make quiet fireworks!

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:10 am
It gets dark so early these days. Why don’t they do fireworks on January 1st at 6 pm? Dinner time...

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:11 am
amother OP wrote:
Why is that okay? What if I wanted my baby to sleep tonight, even though they have a holiday? What if dh has to be up at 5:30 am to go to work? Yes, work on Sunday, New Years. He's even doing a double shift to make up for all the partying people who won't be finished sleeping off their hangovers and will be staying home. And he'll have to do it after not getting sleep because ALL of our neighbors feel a need to scream and do fire works and whatever else.

Some people still have lives even though it's now 2023. I get annoyed every year. Am I just a hopeless kill joy?

The same way it's ok for us to sing in our sukkos, have music late at night on purim, and block off traffic for hachnasos sefer torah....
We live with others, we respect & or tolerant of each others holidays. It's one night a year. I think our non jewish neighbors put up with us more than we put up with them.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:12 am
It's horrendous and sounds like gun shots. Hate the sound makes me jump every time. I would prefer if they just played loud music.

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:21 am
amother Milk wrote:
The same way it's ok for us to sing in our sukkos, have music late at night on purim, and block off traffic for hachnasos sefer torah....
We live with others, we respect & or tolerant of each others holidays. It's one night a year. I think our non jewish neighbors put up with us more than we put up with them.

This.

Also, the date and time of this celebration is not exactly a surprise, so you can easily plan around it.

amother
Maple

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:23 am
amother Milk wrote:

Sorry, I think you forgot Memorial Day, at least a week preceding July 4th, and sometimes Labor Day as well. Not one night a year.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:28 am
amother Maple wrote:
Sorry, I think you forgot Memorial Day, at least a week preceding July 4th, and sometimes Labor Day as well. Not one night a year.

Ok, I stand corrected, several nights a year. But my point still stands. We have to be tolerant of each other's. We have equal rights to holidays and celebrations.

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:32 am
If I would try what they just did in my holiday cops would be called an what not it’s midnight why is it okay to do fireworks and make so much noise in a suburban area

amother
Topaz

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:32 am
amother Maple wrote:

On these above holidays it’s never this late

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:34 am
DrMom wrote:
This.

Also, the date and time of this celebration is not exactly a surprise, so you can easily plan around it.
Plan around it? Dh planned to work a double shift davka tomorrow because we knew the date. The holiday was when they needed him to cover for all of them. And if I had tried to tell my baby of our plans to be up half the night, would that have helped any of us be happier?

momof2+?

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:34 am
I like your thread title op 🥳

honeymoon

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:35 am
amother Milk wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected, several nights a year. But my point still stands. We have to be tolerant of each other's. We have equal rights to holidays and celebrations.

I used to live next door to a loud noisy nonJewish family. The noise that came from that house on New Year's eve wasn't at all comparable to the singing and music they had to "put up with" from all the yomim tovim combined. I used to get woken up by the sounds of shattered glass, loud thumping, and screams that would make me shake in fear.

With all due respect to people of all faiths and religions, our means of celebration is low-key and respectful compared to many of theirs that we tolerate, especially those taking place at way past midnight.

amother
Mint

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:36 am
amother Topaz wrote:
If I would try what they just did in my holiday cops would be called an what not it’s midnight why is it okay to do fireworks and make so much noise in a suburban area

so call them!
Technicaly its illegal without a license im happier their not killing me like they used to. What

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:49 am
I live in Manhattan! I love the noise! I can hear both the Times Square cheering and the Central Park fireworks. It just died down a few minutes ago. BH for a city that is alive and celebrating after the few years we’ve all had, I love it! Yes working tomorrow too but that’s what coffee is for

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:50 am
amother OP wrote:

No, I agree.
I’m still trying to figure why the fact that the year changed is cause for Celebration

amother
NeonPurple

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:51 am
amother Milk wrote:

This isn’t a religious holiday
How do you even compare?

amother
IndianRed

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:51 am
amother OP wrote:
Plan around it? Dh planned to work a double shift davka tomorrow because we knew the date. The holiday was when they needed him to cover for all of them. And if I had tried to tell my baby of our plans to be up half the night, would that have helped any of us be happier?

Next year he’ll take a sleeping pill.

naturalmom5

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:55 am
amother OP wrote:

What if you have to get at 6 for work and your soon to be strangled DH is saying 10 9 8 7 etc and wants to dance with you Mad
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette