Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
It's New Years, so let's wake up all the neighbors
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Peru

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:55 pm
amother NeonPurple wrote:
This isn’t a religious holiday
How do you even compare?

NY actually marks the day that Yoshke had his Bris. It is definitely a religious holiday. The fireworks and ball dripping are shtuyot same
As Santa and x-mas trees, but both days are religious

Eta I wrote out JC name and it got autocorrected

DrMom

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:57 pm
How do you even compare?

It doesn't matter if it is a religious holiday or not. It is a holiday which is celebrated by many non-Jews, including your neighbors.

This is one of the disadvantages of living in chu"l.

You just have to suck it up, or move to a neighborhood or country with a majority Jewish population, or buy a huge estate where you can't hear your neighbors because they are miles away.

amother
Milk

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 9:58 pm
How do you even compare?

Happens to be, New Years is somewhat of a religious holiday.
But it doesn't really matter. We celebrate purim way in to the night for 2 nights in a row, traffic is constantly blocked to accommodate hachnasos sefer torah, big weddings, levayos.... So we tolerate their fireworks afew times a year. It means living with other people.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:00 pm
How do you even compare?

What does religion have to do with this? Every culture has their own set of holidays, be it religious or not. If we want respect and tolerance for our holidays, then we need to show respect and tolerance for their holidays, religious or not.

amother
Snow

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:07 pm
amother Topaz wrote:
If I would try what they just did in my holiday cops would be called an what not it’s midnight why is it okay to do fireworks and make so much noise in a suburban area

I don't know where you live, but in NY we make noise late into the night on Purim, we create a huge traffic mess on Purim and on other Erev Yom Tovs. We do street closures for Rebbishe weddings, levayos and hachnosos sefer Torahs. In the summer, we crowd the Catskills with very large numbers and ask (or demand) that they put up with it for ten weeks. We overwhelm our streets with a very large number of buses every morning and afternoon, and create lots of traffic just with that alone every single day.

I don't think we get to complain about New Years midnight noise.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:10 pm
Op, just wanna say I hear you!
I don't know if we're "entitled" to complain, no opinion on comparing our noise to theirs, but either way sounds extremely frustrating!
Hope you get to sleep and your day tomorrow isn't a mess because of it!

amother
Milk

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:13 pm
amother Seafoam wrote:
Op, just wanna say I hear you!
I don't know if we're "entitled" to complain, no opinion on comparing our noise to theirs, but either way sounds extremely frustrating!
Hope you get to sleep and your day tomorrow isn't a mess because of it!

I maintain my opinion that in large frum communities, non jewish residents put up with way more jewish related nuisance then we jews put up with them.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:16 pm
amother Milk wrote:
I maintain my opinion that in large frum communities, non jewish residents put up with way more jewish related nuisance then we jews put up with them.

Like I said, I wasn't agreeing or disagreeing.
I was just hearing op's frustration.

penguin

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:23 pm
I read somewhere that it can be an Eis Rotzon because HKBH is noticing how we celebrate our new year so differently, so take the opportunity to daven!

amother
Daisy

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 10:54 pm
Yes I do feel like you are a bit of a spoilsport. Come on! It’s fun! I love the fire works!
There are so many things you can do to work around it if you must.
Put on a noise machine or some calm baby music.

It isn’t that big of a deal.

amother
Tulip

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 11:10 pm
The fireworks is 1 thing, the drunken yelling is another
BH yidden drunk do not sound like this.
our purim is NOT frightening for them!

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 11:17 pm
Ugh
Sorry op
Some areas are definitely more challenging than others
Hope things settled down

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 11:41 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
Yes I do feel like you are a bit of a spoilsport. Come on! It’s fun! I love the fire works!
There are so many things you can do to work around it if you must.
Put on a noise machine or some calm baby music.

It isn’t that big of a deal.

Don’t tell someone else what’s a big deal and what isn’t. Her feelings are real and she can vent about them.

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 11:43 pm
Exactly!!!

amother
Candycane

Post Sat, Dec 31 2022, 11:53 pm
amother Milk wrote:

Shocking response to ops vent
And apples to oranges
Like if we critique ourselves to the nth degree then what - just do not get this mentality
Since we are a tiny minority globally then if it bothers someone so much then they may have the option to move as most of the world are not orthodox Jewish enclaves and communities

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:07 am
amother Pink wrote:
Don’t tell someone else what’s a big deal and what isn’t. Her feelings are real and she can vent about them.

She asked..
amother OP wrote:
I get annoyed every year. Am I just a hopeless kill joy?

ora_43

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 1:06 am
amother Snow wrote:
I don't know where you live, but in NY we make noise late into the night on Purim, we create a huge traffic mess on Purim and on other Erev Yom Tovs. We do street closures for Rebbishe weddings, levayos and hachnosos sefer Torahs. In the summer, we crowd the Catskills with very large numbers and ask (or demand) that they put up with it for ten weeks. We overwhelm our streets with a very large number of buses every morning and afternoon, and create lots of traffic just with that alone every single day.

I don't think we get to complain about New Years midnight noise.

This is an odd mix of things that are deliberate (being loud late into the night) and things that are literally just people existing (crowding, "creating" traffic... everybody needs to go places in the morning, no one group is "overwhelming" the streets more than anyone else).

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 2:11 am
amother Milk wrote:
The same way it's ok for us to sing in our sukkos, have music late at night on purim, and block off traffic for hachnasos sefer torah....
We live with others, we respect & or tolerant of each others holidays. It's one night a year. I think our non jewish neighbors put up with us more than we put up with them.

And I don't agree with these...
I believe in respecting our neighbors (not all of mine are Jewish or frum).
But even if they were frum- same thing!!
Why should they be subject to my family singing in the sukkah?
We definitely DON'T play music loudly ever, not even Purim.

We should all be respectful of each other, our need to sleep and our eardrums EVERY day of the year. I have been woken up by my neighbors deciding to have a huge Friday night seuda with lots of singing and ended with what sounded like 15 hippos tap dancing. I live in a building, I get there will be noise. But they had no respect for anyone else in the building.
Or the neighbor who decided to do a musical havdala in their unit. Complete with guitars. Late at night. That woke my kids up. And when I knocked on their door they were like "but it's havdala!". Hours after Shabbos ended. In the summer. And did I mention it woke my kids up? (Yes all my windows were closed, we had turned on white noise etc. )
Or in one apartment- neighbors deciding to build their sukkah at 10pm and then again at 6am.

Respect should be given no matter what nationality or religion. Let people sleep!!

amother
Whitesmoke

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 2:17 am
amother Tulip wrote:
The fireworks is 1 thing, the drunken yelling is another
BH yidden drunk do not sound like this.
our purim is NOT frightening for them!

Um, some drunk yidden sound just as bad. Yelling, making scenes...

DrMom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 2:21 am
New Year's celebrations by definition peak at 12:00 midnight. And it is a noisy holiday. You can't expect people to pack it up at 6pm because you don't celebrate this holiday and you want to sleep, esp when the following day is a national holiday and allows celebrants to party all night without missing work.

If you choose to work on Jan 1, that's your choice, but you can't expect the vast majority of the country to not celebrate their holidays in the traditional manner just because it inconveniences you.

I'm amused that people want to call the police because people are making noise after 10pm or whatever on New Year's Eve. I can't imagine the police responding to such a call.

Part of living in galut is dealing with a non-Jewish majority population. As long as nobody is destroying your property, you have no legitimate compliant.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette