Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
It's New Years, so let's wake up all the neighbors
Previous  1  2  3

SwissAlps

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 5:22 am
There was a concert going on last night right outside my window. BH my kids slept through it but I was not happy about the noise. It was so loud that the windows were vibrating. It started at around 10 pm and was still going strong after midnight. Don't know what time it finished because I somehow fell asleep before that.

And I couldn't even complain because it was a legal concert Banging head

cuties' mom

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:01 am
I kept my windows closed and my air conditioner on in order to block out the noise. I remembered all the other years that the screaming woke everyone up. BH my autistic son slept through it this year.

amother
Yolk

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:10 am
My neighbor makes parties a lot. Music was blaring until 3;30 am people were outside talking till 5 am. This is all besides the non stop fireworks in Brooklyn.

I do agree with the sentiment that non Jews put up with a lot from us. If my neighbor would only make parties on holidays I would be ok with it. But he makes them every weekend in the warm weather too.

myself

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:11 am
OP, I'm sorry the noise is causing such disruption. Can your DH sleep with wireless noise-cancelling earphones?

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:20 am
amother Peru wrote:
NY actually marks the day that Yoshke had his Bris. It is definitely a religious holiday. The fireworks and ball dripping are shtuyot same
As Santa and x-mas trees, but both days are religious

Eta I wrote out JC name and it got autocorrected

I've only ever heard frum jews saying this. Wasn't he supposed to have been born in the spring anyway?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 7:42 am
When we sing in the sukkah, we do not keep any neighbors awake. It's just a couple of people singing softly in our backyard. And it happens more like 9 or 10 at night, not throughout the night. There is no blaring music or extra traffic on Purim where I live.

BH last night I was able to go to sleep at 12:30ish and I wasn't woken up again. But some years the noise continues all through the night, including sirens going by our window every half hour. (Those fire men must have been bored that year.)

amother
Peru

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 8:07 am
amother Maize wrote:
I've only ever heard frum jews saying this. Wasn't he supposed to have been born in the spring anyway?

This is pretty basic stuff. He was born on x-mas. That’s what they celebrate. 8 days later, the Bris.

The spring (Easter) is when they believe he was resurrected

amother
Electricblue

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 8:14 am
Op, I agree with you. A family member works in the medical field and all the legal holidays are time and a half pay because they are so short staffed. Working these shifts in a hospital are not conducive to getting much sleep to begin with. You are right. Your husband needed a good nights sleep last night and you didn’t have to deal with your overtired baby who should have been sleeping. Yes, they make too much noise and honestly it’s really for no good reason. Because the year changed? The ball dropped? Big deal!! Noise at that time of night should be illegal.

amother
Maize

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 8:20 am
amother Peru wrote:
This is pretty basic stuff. He was born on x-mas. That’s what they celebrate. 8 days later, the Bris.

The spring (Easter) is when they believe he was resurrected

I'm not an expert in this area obviously, but it's a well know fact that one of the Roman emporers moved xmas to December to align with a pagan holiday, so new years really wouldn't have anything to do with his birth or bris.

There are other reasons why Jews shouldn't celebrate this day, but this isn't one of them.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 9:03 am
amother Maize wrote:

Not only jews are saying it. You can find it in history books.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 9:07 am
amother Candycane wrote:
Shocking response to ops vent
And apples to oranges
Like if we critique ourselves to the nth degree then what - just do not get this mentality
Since we are a tiny minority globally then if it bothers someone so much then they may have the option to move as most of the world are not orthodox Jewish enclaves and communities

This is nonsense, sorry. We jews don't "own" where we live. Non jews have right to live where we live. They should "move" if they don't like our noise? Seriously? It doesn't go that way. We don't own our communities and then say that non jews should move if they can't put up with our noise, yet at the same time, be upset and complain about their noise.

amother
Snow

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 9:47 am
ora_43 wrote:
This is an odd mix of things that are deliberate (being loud late into the night) and things that are literally just people existing (crowding, "creating" traffic... everybody needs to go places in the morning, no one group is "overwhelming" the streets more than anyone else).

Its just pointing out that we ask our communities to put up with our behaviors, so in the same light we need to put up with theirs. We don't live in a vacuum.

And as an aside, yes, we do overwhelm the roads with an abnormal amount of buses in the morning and evenings. We have different buses for boys and girls, and different time slots. The rest of society generally doesn't have this situation. (Most kids go at the same time, and many buses are shared between siblings and neighbors.) Buses create an awful lot of traffic because of all the pickups they do. Not only do they create traffic, but they create a lot of noise. Specifically those early morning buses for the bochurim between 6-7 am every morning. They race down the quiet streets often waking up the sleeping babies.

We may be blind to it because it's part of our routine, but I can assure you that the rest of the neighborhood is not blind to it.

amother
Milk

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 10:12 am
amother Snow wrote:
Its just pointing out that we ask our communities to put up with our behaviors, so in the same light we need to put up with theirs. We don't live in a vacuum.

And as an aside, yes, we do overwhelm the roads with an abnormal amount of buses in the morning and evenings. We have different buses for boys and girls, and different time slots. The rest of society generally doesn't have this situation. (Most kids go at the same time, and many buses are shared between siblings and neighbors.) Buses create an awful lot of traffic because of all the pickups they do. Not only do they create traffic, but they create a lot of noise. Specifically those early morning buses for the bochurim between 6-7 am every morning. They race down the quiet streets often waking up the sleeping babies.

We may be blind to it because it's part of our routine, but I can assure you that the rest of the neighborhood is not blind to it.

Add to this, that there's no such a thing as house stops by the non Jewish school transportation. Corner stops only, and those that live close to the school are not eligible for transportation altogether.
A jewish school bus can stop 4-5 times on one block, that is extremely annoying for the cars that need to pass through that block.
Contrary to what some people believe, we don't own our communities. We sort of "claimed" our communities and no one wants to think in to what our non jewish neighbors constantly put up with. Their everyday lives our impacted by our lifestyle.

amother
Feverfew

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:58 am
amother Milk wrote:
The same way it's ok for us to sing in our sukkos, have music late at night on purim, and block off traffic for hachnasos sefer torah....
We live with others, we respect & or tolerant of each others holidays. It's one night a year. I think our non jewish neighbors put up with us more than we put up with them.

Not in my neighborhood!! They get hysterical if we do a lag baomer fire at 9 pm etc etc but the have huge backyard parties with fireworks that explode over my house at any holiday.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette