Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Jewish graphic novels books for mid elementary school kids

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 10:27 am
My kids read tons of graphic novels out of the house. Bow they are complaining that we only own one book. These books are expensive. But I did notice that when they have friends over (ages 8-12) they gravitate toward our 1 graphic novel. Some of
the ones my children read are so dumb. Same made up themes. I'm willing to slowly buy a few more but I want quality material ones.

Please name the best jewish graphic novels you could think of that works for multiple ages.
Even nicer if it could include the following, a moral or lesson, a true story, a classic story.

Edit for clarity

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 10:51 am
Graphic novels are the equivalent of junk food.

Kids prefer them..

But They prevent kids from developing higher reading skills.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 10:59 am
#BestBubby wrote:
Graphic novels are the equivalent of junk food.

Kids prefer them..

But They prevent kids from developing higher reading skills.
Generally I agree.
Until my 3rd grader was having trouble reading.
I think it depends on the type of kid and the age
My daughter had a very hard time with reading. She's in third grade now and these comic books are really the only books she's interested in reading. So she's getting tons of practice and her reading level greatly improved.
In my family, the older kids outgrew reading comics.

cbsp

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:00 am
Anything by R' Yonah Klein/ Jackie Yahri
Yehuda (accidentally typed Yisroel originally) Bromberg just came out with one
Gadi Pollock is a master - I think a new Middos volume was printed

Ahrele, the kid version of the life story of Aharon Margalit "As Long as I Live" - several volumes

Last edited by cbsp on Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:12 am
That wasn't a very helpful reply.

My kids graphic novels have some very high vocabulary words mixed in. Most of the books are even to high for my 8 year old. I read it to him because his siblings are all into in and the pictures help him understand what I'm referring to. My kids learn alot of high vocabulary words related to World War Two and other historical events. For an 8 year old that doesn't watch TV. Words like missiles don't come up in most of his 8 year old jewish books.

The stories are very made up and unrealistic. They all seem to have the same theme. I wish some fresh writers would come up with new themes and formats. I obviously only know the ones my kids read in magazines or bring home from their school library. I'm asking here for other suggestions of names.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:19 am
amother OP wrote:
That wasn't a very helpful reply.

posters are trying to help

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 11:30 am
Nowadays there is an unbelievable range of good content and authors. I would say google or look at jewish bookstores to peruse online what is available and fits your priorities.
Our kids love imagine series though I am not the biggest fan of it.
I follow their lead when it is within the parmameters we are ok with.
Many excellent stories and authors and even safarim have been redone in this graphic comic style.
You can find almost anything! Even gedolim and Rebbes!
A real plethora so look online and see what you and your kids go for.

amother
Nemesia

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:05 pm
Many are silly but there are some very good ones mixed in.

Graphic novels by M. Safra, Rosen, Havlin, hershkovits, Gadi Pollack all are based on stories with a moral or stories by chazal. Very nice actually.

The point of books is to get them reading. If graphic novels does that, it's worth having.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 01 2023, 12:40 pm
cbsp wrote:
Anything by R' Yonah Klein/ Jackie Yahri
Yisroel Bromberg just came out with one
Gadi Pollock is a master - I think a new Middos volume was printed

Ahrele, the kid version of the life story of Aharon Margalit "As Long as I Live" - several volumes

The Middos books are not graphic novels, just lushly illustrated.
There's a graphic novel about Shemoneh Esrei by Yonah Klein and someone Halevi that I really like.
Other popular authors were mentioned and I'll add Einhorn and Eichler. Tzvi Adler has a few that are based on Marcus Lehmann books (Feldheim has a Bustenai) that are bound to be of greater redeeming social value.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room