Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Retroactive Annulment of Giyyur?
Previous  1  2  3  4

Ruchel

Post Mon, Jul 14 2008, 3:35 pm
Motek wrote:
and so, if by their action immediately following conversion they show that they are not religiously observant, then that would seem to prove that they weren't sincere

I once heard a giyores, Chasida Flanders speak. When the rabbi was testing her and he asked her what muktza is, she was able to rattle off the 5 categories of muktza (muktza machmas mi'us etc.)! That showed she was SERIOUS about mastering Hilchos Shabbos!

someone sincere can have a bad memory... or someone "interested" (= not in Judaism) can make a big effort... although as a whole you are right

Motek

Post Tue, Jul 15 2008, 11:28 am
someoneoutthere wrote:
A ger who never even keeps 1 shabbos...well, there is a major issue with the process by which he was converted.

Okay, so if the yetzer hara was that big that she couldn't keep even the first Shabbos, well, I'm sorry, she seems like a wanna-be but isn't. It just sounds plain silly. But hey, if reputable rabbis say that a convert who violates their first Shabbos is a Jew ... What it's a nebach on the convert

nishtikeit

Post Tue, Aug 05 2008, 1:15 am
I agree with imaonwheels that a lot of the problems with conversions in Israel is because of a desire to convert Russians. What advantages in Israel are there to convert , besides to marry a Jew, for a Russian already living in Israel?

amother
White

Post Thu, May 09 2019, 12:00 pm
Motek wrote:
I once heard a giyores, Chasida Flanders speak. When the rabbi was testing her and he asked her what muktza is, she was able to rattle off the 5 categories of muktza (muktza machmas mi'us etc.)! That showed she was SERIOUS about mastering Hilchos Shabbos!

Ten year old thread.

I befriended Chasida Flanders many years ago and we lost touch. I think she used to lecture in Bais Yakovs.

She was looking to get married, and possibly has a different name.

Anyone know?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions