Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
The "I'm stuck in a job I hate" thread

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:04 pm
Title says it all. I make too much money to walk away. To sum it up, I make around 130,000 dollars a year. But I have no flexibility and have minimal sick days. I start very early each day, work full full time, miss lots of time with my kids. But I'm stuck. Because any job similar pays half of what I am making and since my degree is so specialized I have minimal options to choose from. I wish I was a secretary/teacher/therapist anything where I can make my own hours!! I am so stuck, also DH is unemployed with ADHD so I can't count on him for any financial support.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:06 pm
Same here. Although I don't make as much as you. I say I'm in "golden handcuffs". My job is too good to leave but the hours are really hard, as is not having off when my kids do. Sigh. No job is perfect.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:14 pm
I have the opposite issue.

I have a flexible job because I own my own business, and because of that I find that I barely have time to work. It is extremely overwhelming and difficult to have a huge workload with no time to work because of limited hours (childcare etc falls on me because DH works a regular full time job).

I earn over 3x as much as DH which is why I'm still doing what I'm doing, but it's really, really stressful.

I used to love what I do, but it came to a point where I just want to quit - I'm stuck with golden handcuffs like wandflower said.

amother
Wandflower

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:16 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:

I have a flexible job because I own my own business, and because of that I find that I barely have time to work. It is extremely overwhelming and difficult to have a huge workload with no time to work because of limited hours (childcare etc falls on me because DH works a regular full time job).

I earn over 3x as much as DH which is why I'm still doing what I'm doing, but it's really, really stressful.

I used to love what I do, but it came to a point where I just want to quit - I'm stuck with golden handcuffs like wandflower said.

What business do you have? The grass is always greener....I dream of having my own business while I am stuck at work for hours on end.

amother
Oak

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:24 pm
amother Bellflower wrote:

Bellflower, what field are you in?

amother
Blueberry

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:33 pm
I know you didn't ask this but is DH's ADHD being treated? People with ADHD under control can work.

amother
Gold

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:37 pm
I'm also a sole provider. I work full time. All vacation days are for yomim tovim so I can never just take a day off or actually go on vacation. I have no energy or time with my kids.

It is very hard.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:40 pm
amother Blueberry wrote:
I know you didn't ask this but is DH's ADHD being treated? People with ADHD under control can work.

Yes. It's still not helping with the job.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:13 pm
I'm in a creative field for years, and I'm starting to think that maybe it's just not for me. I've been creative since I was a kid, but somehow I can't churn out creativity on demand at the level I need to. My work has never really taken off. It's so frustrating to be unsuccessful. I'm left wondering if I would be better off in another field.

amother
Bellflower

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:44 pm
amother Wandflower wrote:
What business do you have? The grass is always greener....I dream of having my own business while I am stuck at work for hours on end.

I'm in the creative field

amother
Peach

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:46 pm
I can't say I HATE my job. But I've been looking to switch for YEARS. I don't have a college degree, and right now, I don't have enough money for any programs I'm interested in, so rn I'm stuck🤷

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:30 pm
amother Periwinkle wrote:
I'm in a creative field for years, and I'm starting to think that maybe it's just not for me. I've been creative since I was a kid, but somehow I can't churn out creativity on demand at the level I need to. My work has never really taken off. It's so frustrating to be unsuccessful. I'm left wondering if I would be better off in another field.

try doing your human design (personality test). I'm also very creative but for example graphic design never worked for me, it takes too long to churn out designs and I found it super stressful. I finally understood that I am an idea person not one who executes on the idea. so I can work from templates for example, or do things like magazine layout, but find it really hard to create designs from scratch. being "Creative" does not = a skillset.

amother
Oak

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 3:40 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
try doing your human design (personality test). I'm also very creative but for example graphic design never worked for me, it takes too long to churn out designs and I found it super stressful. I finally understood that I am an idea person not one who executes on the idea. so I can work from templates for example, or do things like magazine layout, but find it really hard to create designs from scratch. being "Creative" does not = a skillset.

This is exactly what I struggle with. But how do I take this and turn it into a lucrative career? I’m not so creative but I know what looks good and anything I make looks nice but I don’t like starting from scratch

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jan 03 2023, 10:49 am
A "portfolio career" works best for my personality
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics