Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Did you clean your apartment when you moved?
1  2  Next

greeneyes

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:50 am
This might be a really silly question, but I'm wondering what the accepted thing to do is when you move... do you mop the floors, clean the bathroom etc. before moving out?

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:52 am
No, was way too busy most times I moved. Even when I did clean the whole apartment beforehand I found out that the landlord anyways had a cleaning lady come in as a matter of routine. I wouldn't stress yourself out about it, moving in itself is way too much of a burden and hassle in itself.

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:59 am
Our lease required us to leave the apartment "broom clean". So we left out a broom and dustpan and swept up after the movers were gone. That got rid of the dust-bunnies that had been living under our beds, but didn't exactly leave the apt sparkling clean. I must say that when we moved into our house we really appreciated how clean the previous owners had left it.

pinktichel

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:08 am
I sure did!!! The place was IMMACULATE when we left.

It is not necessary to clean toilets or mop, but it IS necessary to make sure there is NOTHING left in the cabinets or closets and that all large pieces of garbage are picked up.

I wont discuss what the place we took looked like. Yes, I know I told them we were bringing in a cleaning lady, but for goodness sake, couldn't they have at least picked up lg pieces of garbage?

The part I love best: the separated challah dough left in the freezer and when I asked them about it they said: "oh, just burn it some time!" shock shock shock

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:12 am
LOL That's hilarious pinktichel!
I can't imagine!

Whenever I left my apartments I never left any trash or things around, everything was gone...except the dustbunnies

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:15 am
Yeah, you have to clean it, just to be a mensch if nothing else.

In the kitchen

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:17 am
It really depends on your apartment lease...because the ones I had (in California) had a mandatory fee taken out of you deposit to clean it after you left anyways! No matter if you put in efforts to clean it yourself...so then what's the point if they will take the money away anyway.

But if you don't have such a contract then you probably would have to clean it.

Rivky

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:17 am
I ddnt scrub the place from ceiling to floor but I definitely left it clean. All big pcs of garbage were gone, cabinets were empty, place looked good.

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:25 am
When I moved to this house over four years ago, I was cleaning my old house as the removal men where emptying each room. When the new pwoplw of that house moved in they phoned us and said thank you it was perfect, we could just move it it was so clean.

ON THE OTHER HAND when we moved into this house I nearly had a heart attack. The house was filthy from top to bottom. The kitchen had thick greese everywhere, the ink was full of their cereal from the morning. The floor was dirty, upstairs there was rubbish everywhere. The toilet was stinky and dirty wee everywhere. The bathroom was well I can leave you to imagine. that was not it outside there we fridges, freezers old couches, etc... The place was just awful. we had spent a fortune on this new house and left a beautiful clean house behind. I sat on the boxes and cried and cried saying we have just made the biggest mistake of my life. My Mum sat down next to me and said you need to make the most of this situation this house has potential you know it. Come on you can do it.

That night I cleaned and cleaned my husband took down some doors and we started to put pictures up. the first four months were hell here. We had workmen in. We literally did one room up and then moved into it and moved everything into that room. What seemed a simple job turned out to be a really big job everything had been done so cheaply by the old owners that it was rubbish. We lived without a touilet and bathroom for 10 days. IT was hell. But now we have a beatuiful CLEAN house and I could not imagine moving out of it again.

happyone

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:33 am
You bet I did. I came back two days after we moved (from another town) and made sure the place was immaculate. No one should have to clean up after you.
when all the furniture and appliances get moved, you would be surprised at the amount of cleaning I had to do.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:49 am
Most landlords clean it after anyway because they want to show it to new tenants.

Rivky

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:04 am
I'm just remembering when I moved into my apt. I got to keep the oven (would've bought a new one but expenses were too much). I cleaned the oven and stove top obviously, when I moved in but when pesach rolled around I put more effort into it. I was horrified beyond belief once I started really scrubbing at how someone can leave over an appliance they use every day that way!! Every time I think of it I can Puke

HAPPYMOMMY

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:25 am
I would be embarrassed to leave an apartment that isn't decently clean.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:33 am
Jewishmama, didn't you see the apt. before moving in?
We did a lot of renovations, anyway. Because not only was it dirty, the floor was shabby... carpet rundown and stained and broken/peeling linoleum tiles covering beautiful hardwood.

So after all that construction we definitely needed a cleaning lady. But even without it, we would've taken one to clean before we moved in.

Atali

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:36 am
This is interesting, because in Australia it is part of the lease (in all four places that we lived in) that the house must be left absolutely spotless, meaning that the carpets must be professionally cleaned, ovens scrubbed, etc. If anything isn't done they take it out of the security deposit.

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:41 am
That's so much pressure at an already stressful time! How do you do it? Do people just call a cleaning lady to come once they're out?

rainbow baby

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:55 am
GAMZu wrote:
Jewishmama, didn't you see the apt. before moving in?
We did a lot of renovations, anyway. Because not only was it dirty, the floor was shabby... carpet rundown and stained and broken/peeling linoleum tiles covering beautiful hardwood..

Of course we did. We knew it was bad but not that bad.We knew we could make it a beautifyul home for us but after spending hours and hours cleaning one house you would think that the people in youir new house would leave it clean and tidy. We had loads of problems with these people througfhout the whole buying process. Whenever we came to see the house they always seemed to have it clean and tidy. But when we moved in we saw it was always a superfical clean. We never imagined that we would need to do half the things we needed to.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:58 am
I made sure it was spotless. I swept right after the movers left. I did not wash the floors- didn't want to do that much.

Atali

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 12:12 pm
GAMZu wrote:
That's so much pressure at an already stressful time! How do you do it? Do people just call a cleaning lady to come once they're out?

Yes, I usually had cleaners come. I actually spent several hundred dollars on this each time I moved. The carpet cleaning alone would be over $100. Plus it would take a cleaning lady a day or two to do everything that had to be done. The last time was even worse, since we were moving out of a house and had to wash the windows (we forgot to do it and had to pay someone to do it from the deposit) and even some gardening (that was required too).

The good part is that you get to move into a clean apartment as well

GAMZu

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 12:17 pm
I'd rather clean the one I'm moving into than the one I'm leaving behind...

That way I can be sure to do it the way I like, and not have lingering doubts about how well it really was done.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating