Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Wedding of child who only has one living parent
Previous  1  2  3

SweetMouse

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:23 pm
A bit off topic, but...If we are discussing minhagum, it is worth it to mention that in many communities in pre-war Europe, the minhag was that parents did NOT walk their children to the chuppa. In those times of extreme poverty and rampant illness, it was rare for both parents to live to see their child get married. Consequently, it was considered an ayin hara. A married couple from the community walked the chassan and kallah down.
Just a little something to think about as we count our blessings...

miami85

Post Sun, Jan 15 2023, 11:33 pm
amother OP wrote:
Who walks him/her down the aisle?
In a situation that I am familiar with, I thought the living parent would walk the child down the aisle alone, but there is some talk of a sibling with a spouse walking together with the parent and child so here is a "married couple" walking the child down the aisle. Is this halacha? Minhag?
I've seen this before so there must be merit to it, but I've also seen divorced parents walk their child down the aisle, and they are not "married".

My husband and I both had this situation so we both had parent+sibling--My mother and my brother walked me down and his father and sister walked him down. We were told it could've been both females with me and both males with him but he wanted it the other way.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics