Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary, Can we afford? Rabbi Greenwald speaks.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Dahlia

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:26 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
I agree meohr is like any other seminary the girls need to find place for shabbosim and yom I’m Tovim I don’t know why you think it’s not.

Also meohr is not considered to be one of the bais yaakov seminaries and then I know girls who went there and had a hard time getting dates because the learning boys don’t want a girl from
Meohr.

Not our experience.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:26 pm
amother Green wrote:
It 100% is a luxury. Why would anyone think differently?

The rich can afford it.
The middle class go if they can get college credits.
The poor try to get get scholarships.
The poor who can't get scholarships don't go.

It's SUCH an unnecessary pressure. So sad.

And then there's the poor/middle class who get financial aid to pay for most of it.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:27 pm
I think there should be more seminaries opened in Israel that are not 9 months long. More like 3 months. Gives the Israel experience and away from home but not so long. And would be less expensive.

amother
Midnight

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:29 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
I think there should be more seminaries opened in Israel that are not 9 months long. More like 3 months. Gives the Israel experience and away from home but not so long. And would be less expensive.

Agree!

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:33 pm
amother Midnight wrote:
Agree!

In theory it sounds nice but usually defeats the purpose. It takes time to adjust, takes time to make the right friends, takes time to connect to the whole experience. It’s usually said that til Chanukah is just the adjustment period and after that the real growth occurs. If it was three months it would just be an extended expensive vacation. Not the growth experience it’s intended to be.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:38 pm
Do any BY seminaries close for pesach, making it a necessity for girls to either fly back home or find alternative plans in Israel? Which ones are open for pesach?

amother
Midnight

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:39 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
In theory it sounds nice but usually defeats the purpose. It takes time to adjust, takes time to make the right friends, takes time to connect to the whole experience. It’s usually said that til Chanukah is just the adjustment period and after that the real growth occurs. If it was three months it would just be an extended expensive vacation. Not the growth experience it’s intended to be.

It would be perfect for all the mature, already grown up girls who only go to seminary because its the done thing

amother
Chartreuse

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:42 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:

If it's only 3 months then the girls don't have to "adjust". Adjustment is when you know you are stuck for a while and have to come to terms with the situation. 3 months is for the girl who is ready to dive in and be serious.

amother
Lotus

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 4:51 pm
How much does Lahav charge? (1/2 year program)

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 5:01 pm
amother Lotus wrote:
How much does Lahav charge? (1/2 year program)

I don’t remember but consider that at least this year almost all the girls in lahav want to stay for the extended program but only some are getting in, so the rest leave feeling disappointed bec they got a taste but now can’t get enough and they will see their friends stay on… not a situation I would want…plus you are still paying the fixed costs of travel, all the shopping etc!

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 6:14 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:

I'd love to see summer long programs for BY graduates who aren't going to seminary there. 2 months in the summer, shiurim, trips, etc. Does anything like this exist?

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 7:44 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Do any BY seminaries close for pesach, making it a necessity for girls to either fly back home or find alternative plans in Israel? Which ones are open for pesach?

Meohr:) and they have a ligit program. Trips, madrichot, etc.
Many other seminaries are open as well.

amother
Canary

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 8:13 pm
amother Cantaloupe wrote:
Meohr:) and they have a ligit program. Trips, madrichot, etc.
Many other seminaries are open as well.

Do you know which other BY seminaries are open or closed for pesach?

amother
Sapphire

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 8:24 pm
amother Canary wrote:
Do you know which other BY seminaries are open or closed for pesach?

Bnos sara is open and encouraged girls to stay with many doing so.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 10:25 pm
Bnos Avigail

Elfrida

Post Sat, Jan 07 2023, 11:40 pm
They are both on the Neve campus, which has to stay open and kosher the kitchen for the Neve students who have nowhere else to go.

I think seminaries should stay open for Pesach, but just pointing out that it is easier for them than for others.

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:32 am
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
I agree meohr is like any other seminary the girls need to find place for shabbosim and yom I’m Tovim I don’t know why you think it’s not.

Also meohr is not considered to be one of the bais yaakov seminaries and then I know girls who went there and had a hard time getting dates because the learning boys don’t want a girl from
Meohr.

Meohr is absolutely a Bais Yaakov seminary.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:28 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
Bnos sara is open and encouraged girls to stay with many doing so.

What year was this?
I was there about 10 years ago, and that was not the case. The dorms were open, and there was supper on chol hamoed. But for the actual first and second days of yom tov, we had to find out own meals. I wish they would have offered meals the entire YT.
And I wish they would have had the option to stay in every shabbos.

amother
Sapphire

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:30 am
amother Anemone wrote:
What year was this?
I was there about 10 years ago, and that was not the case. The dorms were open, and there was supper on chol hamoed. But for the actual first and second days of yom tov, we had to find out own meals. I wish they would have offered meals the entire YT.
And I wish they would have had the option to stay in every shabbos.

Referring to this year. My daughter is considering staying because so many friends are. Last year they had a very large number of girls stay.
Every Shabbos they can stay if they want. And usually there is a nice bunch staying.

amother
Anemone

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 10:02 am
amother Sapphire wrote:
Referring to this year. My daughter is considering staying because so many friends are. Last year they had a very large number of girls stay.
Every Shabbos they can stay if they want. And usually there is a nice bunch staying.

That's great, and I'm so glad to hear it changed.
When I was there, they had one seminary shabbos a month (either an in shabbos or the whole sem went somewhere together). During midterms, they offered an optional in shabbos. But otherwise, we had to go out. I'm introverted and it was very hard for me to be a guest so often. There were weeks I bought some shabbos food and stayed in myself (and I actually really enjoyed it!). But I would only send my dd to a sem that offers the option to stay in every week.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info