Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info
Seminary, Can we afford? Rabbi Greenwald speaks.
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Oldlace

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:41 pm
amother Sapphire wrote:
In theory it sounds nice but usually defeats the purpose. It takes time to adjust, takes time to make the right friends, takes time to connect to the whole experience. It’s usually said that til Chanukah is just the adjustment period and after that the real growth occurs. If it was three months it would just be an extended expensive vacation. Not the growth experience it’s intended to be.

Honestly this is how our seminary tried to "sell" Shana bet. Which really really bothered me. They basically tried reducing the Shana aleph experience and saying how much of it was just adjusting and getting used to the experience so it was like you got half the deal. But if you did Shana bet, you would get the whole experience right away. I was really annoyed. Like if we only got half the experience would you kindly give back half the money.

amother
Ghostwhite

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:48 pm
My girls high school Does not let the girls apply
To meohr, they feel it isn’t a bais yaakov seminary. I know someone whose daughter went there and her daughter had a hard time with shidduchim because boys mothers didn’t want a girl
From Meohr. It definitely is not for a
Regular bais yaakov girl.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:48 pm
amother Chartreuse wrote:
I think there should be more seminaries opened in Israel that are not 9 months long. More like 3 months. Gives the Israel experience and away from home but not so long. And would be less expensive.

I think there are 6 month seminaries that start in summer and end in January.

Cheaper.

Plus no need to pay for coming home for pesach.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:14 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
I think there are 6 month seminaries that start in summer and end in January.

Cheaper.

Plus no need to pay for coming home for pesach.

Only Lahav. Pretty sure it starts the same as others, or not that much earlier. Also has an extension available for a few months. Very in-town crowd

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:55 pm
PinkFridge wrote:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/seminary-can-we-afford-to-go-can-we-afford-not-to-go/id1572928547?I=1000592534704 I assume this is it.
I don't have apple, how can I listen instead?

amother
Dahlia

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:03 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:
To meohr, they feel it isn’t a bais yaakov seminary. I know someone whose daughter went there and her daughter had a hard time with shidduchim because boys mothers didn’t want a girl

That's sad. I know some products very well. Maybe the seminary's changed but this was NOT the case in my kids' time. What I find sad is that the school is restricting girls from applying to places that might be the best place for them. But maybe I shouldn't make such assumptions.

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:09 pm
Meohr has a large mix

amother
Valerian

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:11 pm
amother Ghostwhite wrote:

Maybe that says more about your girls’ high school than about Me’ohr. You are taking what one school says about a seminary and applying it as fact across the board.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:14 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:

Try LivingChaim on YouTube.

amother
Canary

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 3:22 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:

I was able to listen to it on my android phone

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:49 pm
amother Canary wrote:
I was able to listen to it on my android phone
is there a way to listen to it on 2X speed?

amother
PlumPink

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 9:50 pm
amother PlumPink wrote:
is there a way to listen to it on 2X speed?
I found the speed button to speed it up.

marvinkay

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 10:59 pm
How do you get scholarships or college credit if not eligible for fafsa?

amother
Seafoam

Post Tue, Jan 24 2023, 11:17 pm
nechamala wrote:
How do you get scholarships or college credit if not eligible for fafsa?

No fafsa doesn't stop you from getting credit, it just means you don't have to take those extra tesrs during sem - thats.a good thing.. At the end of sem you join maalot, tti, bti and get your credit.

Re scholarships, that's a toughie

amother
Cantaloupe

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 1:42 am
You can ask the seminary

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 2:45 am
Nishmas is a non for profit sem that charges 21k and offers scholarships on top of that. They offer the full program and all the trips every other sem does. They are opened almost every shabbos and yom tov, and take care of the girls over pesach. (most stay).

My daughter was there last year. It is run by Reb. Jacobovits who started nachlas and chemdas. It is very yeshivish. The girls are serious and academic. It is located right in the middle of meah shearim.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Jan 25 2023, 6:34 am
amother Seafoam wrote:
No fafsa doesn't stop you from getting credit, it just means you don't have to take those extra tesrs during sem - thats.a good thing.. At the end of sem you join maalot, tti, bti and get your credit.

Re scholarships, that's a toughie

To clarify. Yoi don't have to finish your degree in these places, you use them to capture the credits.

Who you use will depend on where you're going to finish the degree

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 10:57 pm
I teach in a very yeshivish BY high school for the past 5 years. I work closely with the 12th graders. No one had been to meor in that time. It's not a Seminary where our school send it's students. I think it is on the list of BY seminaries that they give the parents on sem info night, but no one is encouraged to go there.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:02 pm
amother Lilac wrote:
I teach in a very yeshivish BY high school for the past 5 years. I work closely with the 12th graders. No one had been to meor in that time. It's not a Seminary where our school send it's students. I think it is on the list of BY seminaries that they give the parents on sem info night, but no one is encouraged to go there.

Obviously Meohr isn't super yeshivishe (as your HS is) but a BY seminary nevertheless

amother
Peru

Post Thu, Jan 26 2023, 11:06 pm
I didn’t read the whole thread, but I did see two really sad comments from “high school teachers” such a myself. How sad that the high schools are working actively to prevent their students to go to such a wonderful seminary. Including my own. I was strongly discouraged from applying. I later learned that rabbi Greenwald had a personal opinion different than our mechaneches and that is where that came from. Guess what… I went, I got many many yeses bh from many boys. And I got engaged very quickly. This was 10 years ago but I had sisters nieces and students who have gone, each with resistance from their “bais yakov” but encouragement from me and they are all doing amazing, happily married or happily graduated.
It’s really sad that since the hashkafa is not typical close minded bais yakov that the bais yakov admins don’t “allow” applying.
But their graduates will continue to encourage the right girls to apply and the hashkafos bh will be continued hopefully through that.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling -> Seminary Info