Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
How do you keep chicken soup hot
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:48 pm
From when you light candles until the seudah?
Our Rav speaks Friday night so it takes time till dh comes home and we can start…
I don’t want to use a hot plate every week.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:49 pm
In the oven with the rest of the food

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:50 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
In the oven with the rest of the food

I keep the rest of my food in a warming drawer. I don’t even think my soup pot is oven safe

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:50 pm
On my hotplate with the rest of the food

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:51 pm
On the hot plate.

amother
OP

I don’t want to use a hot plate every Shabbos.
Any other ideas?

BrisketBoss

I cover it and get it boiling it again last minute. Then I turn off the stove and set it on the hot plate.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:52 pm
amother OP wrote:
I keep the rest of my food in a warming drawer. I don’t even think my soup pot is oven safe

I don’t have a warming drawer (I don’t like my food warm, I like it hot) but you can easily buy an oven safe pot.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:53 pm
amother DarkOrange wrote:
I don’t have a warming drawer (I don’t like my food warm, I like it hot) but you can easily buy an oven safe pot.

I guess so…
Then I have to leave the light on in my oven each week (if I put it on Shabbos mode it’ll stay on all Shabbos but I don’t want that, I want it to shut off)
Wish there was a better solution

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:54 pm
On the plata

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:55 pm
I used to put it into the oven, and right before Shabbos turn the oven off. So it was off, but still hot. I wouldn't open the oven until I wanted to take out the soup, to keep the heat in.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:56 pm
amother OP wrote:
I guess so…
Then I have to leave the light on in my oven each week (if I put it on Shabbos mode it’ll stay on all Shabbos but I don’t want that, I want it to shut off)
Wish there was a better solution

Yeah I don’t have any fancy appliances. My oven is super basic and turns off after certain number of hours. Sorry

amother
Pewter

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:00 pm
How about in a thermos flask?

First boil you kettle and pour boiling water into your flask. Close tightly and leave for 2-3 minutes. Then pour out and immediately put in the piping hot chicken soup.

This method of preheating the flask ensures that your chicken soups stays totally hot until serving.

lfab

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:04 pm
If you don't want your hot plate left on all shabbos every week you can put it on a timer. I boil my soup right before shabbos, then put on the hot plate with all the other food. I have a timer connected to the hot plate so it goes off a few hours later and isn't left on all of shabbos.

amother
Holly

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:08 pm
If you have place in your warming drawer then transfer it to a disposable aluminum pan and cover well with foil.
When I was a kid and in the summers in the country my parents didn't want to keep a flame on. They would bring the soup to a rolling boil right before shabbos and then wrap it in a super thick blanket. Stayed pipping hot till the meal. Then we would fight who gets the warm blanket Very Happy .

BrisketBoss

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:10 pm
amother Holly wrote:
If you have place in your warming drawer then transfer it to a disposable aluminum pan and cover well with foil.
When I was a kid and in the summers in the country my parents didn't want to keep a flame on. They would bring the soup to a rolling boil right before shabbos and then wrap it in a super thick blanket. Stayed pipping hot till the meal. Then we would fight who gets the warm blanket Very Happy .

I love it.

amother
Winterberry

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:11 pm
If I have a big pot, I’ll just wrap it with a towel and leave it on my stovetop.

If it’s a smaller pot, I put it in my oven with the rest of my food. I have a ceramic tile (the size of my oven rack) that I put in the oven on Friday when I’m cooking. It absorbs the heat and stays warm for a good while. Before shabbos I turn off the oven and the tile keeps all the pots/pans warm.

scruffy

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:12 pm
I also wrap my soup in a towel.

seeker

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:15 pm
If this is a chronic problem for you maybe buy a crock pot, slow cooker, whatever, to keep the soup warm.

We just use a hot plate but you seem firm about not going there. I have it plugged into a timer so it's only on until the meal and not running all Shabbos.

blueeyedtwin

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:19 pm
You could put it on a blech on the stove and off the stove on low.

Last edited by blueeyedtwin on Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note