Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
Important info about amother feature
1  2  Next

Yael

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:30 pm
The amother feature has been disabled in certain forums.
one of the things that influenced my decision, was the fact that there are women who frequently use amother to bash, and make others feel bad, for no apparent reason. and that is a shame. if you look in many of the forums that have amother disabled, the amother posts there were either posted anon for no reason at all or in order to bash someone.

if you want to post anon somewhere that isnt allowed and it is personal, you dont have to share the personal part. like the amother who wanted to know where to find a pool b/c she was embarrassed, etc. you can post under your own screen name that you are looking for a pool, and thats it. if you want the anon support that you never learned how to swim you can start another thread under emotional health anonymously.

another thing that was added last night along with the disabling amother, is the 100% accuracy in checking out who amother is. this was more important to me than the disabling feature.
there are some women who always use amother, and never post under their own screenname, ever. if you had never posted with your own screenname then it was impossible to find out who you were. this made it frustrating for me when I couldnt figure out who certain rude amothers were. esp. when I saw that they were repeat offenders, (I learnt to recognize the IP addresses, when I'd look up a rude post, but didnt know who they belonged to) for all of you who wanted to know why the rude amothers werent banned or punished this is why. anyhow, from now on I'll be able to identify amothers accurately and I hope to put an end to the anonymous bashing once and for all.

for those of you concerned about your privacy, rest assured that as long as you post normally under amother for things that are obviously personal, you dont ever have to worry about me looking up your post and your identity. if its not obviously personal, please mention your reason for amother. lets go back to square one, where it mentions in the rules:
Amother should not be used to attack another poster. Please do not use amother to post things which are not private or personal. If you want to post something anonymously that is not obviously private, please mention briefly your reason for anonymity in order to avoid criticism for over-use of amother. and I'll add, to avoid having your identity compromised.

trust me, it isnt easy to look up the identity of amothers, but I'll do it when I need to. I actually need my dh's help to look into the sql, dont know how to do it on my own. But if I see you post as amother a post that is rude, bashing, or unnecessarily provocative, have no fear I will find you out, and either warn you or revoke your privilege of posting as amother, anywhere.

If you feel that there is a forum where you should be able to post as amother and cant, let me know and I can change it.

another point of interest:
generally, (aside from a one or two members that I had trouble figuring out) the "nasties" are regular users. I dont think there are women who are just "nasty" all the time. I think that once in a while a regular member has the urge to be "nasty" and used amother to do it, so she could keep her reputation as a nice member. so banning the "nasties" doesnt really work.
however by disabling amother in some areas, we are forcing each member to be accountable for her words, all the time, and it should result in a more peaceful environment.

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:34 pm
Wow - Sounds like it was a lot of work for you. Thank you Yael. It will be a much more pleasant place to pass the time thanks to these changes.

Maya

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:39 pm
Thanks, Yael.
Is it possible to let us know in which forums it was disabled?

gryp

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:22 pm
Thank you, Yael!

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:22 pm
sounds like a good plan ... thanks for all the work ... I'll try to behave Mr. Green

Starhavah

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:32 pm
thank you yael for taking such good care of the forum.

Star Havah

mimivan

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:34 pm
so how do we know which forums it was disabled? Is there a list?

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:36 pm
I'll miss the times when Crayon and the others (most recently Raisin, I think) guess that I'm amother.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:43 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I'll miss the times when Crayon and the others (most recently Raisin, I think) guess that I'm amother.

It wasn't only them who guessed it 8) .

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 10:49 pm
flowerpower wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

It wasn't only them who guessed it 8) .
I know. If I had taken a few chances with my writing style, I could have been much more sly about it.

miriamnechama

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 11:42 pm
thanks great idea

Maya

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 12:36 am
Quote:
for all of you who wanted to know why the rude amothers werent banned or punished this is why. anyhow, from now on I'll be able to identify amothers accurately and I hope to put an end to the anonymous bashing once and for all.

What if a well-respected poster is the one being nasty, and she's posting under her own screenname?

Crayon210

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 12:37 am
You report her posts, or you PM a moderator, or you PM Yael.

queen

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 12:46 am
Thumbs Up

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 6:25 am
I'll miss the guess teh amother game...

miriamnechama

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 6:29 am
mimivan wrote:
so how do we know which forums it was disabled? Is there a list?

yeah checked it this mormimg, everything excluding,

usergroups, and anything related to married life, T.H. pregnancy emoyional health, health and hygine, children, working women etc.... bekitzor, from health and hygine up till end of usergroups are all with amother features. etc

the rest don't like social scene etc...

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 2:18 pm
Thanks Yael and Dh for all your hard work.
I think out of my 3992 posts, maybe a 100 were amother, most of them personal, besides for the funny ones, like guess the amother.

Raizle

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:15 am
Although I understand it had to be done it does present problems.
For instance I have refrained from answering questions in certain threads where one cannot post anonymously since doing so will give away info about myself that I would rather not share, although the thread itself was innocent.
I also find myself refraining from asking questions that also give away info about myself that I'm unwilling to share.

Crayon210

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:25 am
And I have found that the heated debate that Maya started is much more pleasant and respectful since there is no anonymous posting!

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 18 2008, 12:27 am
Well, that is part of a forum. Very personal topics still have that feature.
If it's just that you don't want to reveal too much neutral info about yourself... you have to decide for yourself if it's worth to post it or not. Smile
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics