Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Keeping toddlers apart

Ajbaaretz

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 1:57 pm
I am soon expecting baby#3, and son#1 and son#2 will be a few months shy of 4 and 2 when baby is due. And I am stressed!

Son#1 and son#2 love each other very much and need to be together ALL THE TIME. It is a rare sight that they play with separate toys in separate locations. 99.9% of the time they are either wanting to play with the same toy or 1 boy finds something he wants to play with then the other starts bothering him (bopping him on the head, knocking down his tower, etc.)

I'm teaching them about sharing, waiting, and asking for turns, but it's a long process, and I find that I'm having to physically intervene in their play constantly. Someone grabbed something from the other one, someone is hysterical, someone is biting hard, someone is knocking the other on the head with a wooden block...it never ends. How can I keep this up while nursing a baby?!

On rare occasions, I can convince my older son to take a toy to his room, but usually the little one gets upset then because he wants to be with his brother (even though 5 seconds ago his older brother pushed him onto his face...) The only thing that keeps them both mostly calm and not fighting is a video.

Any suggestions on how to keep the boys apart for part of playtime? 2 gated areas with a demilitarized zone between? This poor baby is gonna get milk in 15-second increments at this rate...

amother
Moccasin

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:06 pm
Are either one in school?

amother
Banana

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:18 pm
Get a special toy that only comes out for nursing. Make sure there’s enough of it that they can both be using it at the same time without conflict ie train set, clicks, certain books, etc.

giftedmom

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:30 pm
Leave them be. I promise no long-term harm will be done.

amother
Teal

Post Sun, Jan 08 2023, 2:31 pm
Special nursing toys or make that the time for reading books. My kids love having my phone (YouTube or Spotify podcasts) read them books
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics