Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
If you like history what shows have you enjoyed?
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 4:17 am
And which did you hate?

Hated- brigerton such a misrepresentation of history

These shows have a very lose translation of history but I still throughly enjoyed:
Reign
Vikings - characters if 2 different centuries are magically brothers…
Vikings vallhala
La Revolution- rewriting the French Revolution
Poldark
Outlander

More accurate:
Reign
The crown
Victoria
Downtown abbey
Call the midwife
The spy- featuring Eli Cohen
The last kingdom - the main character is fictional, lots of other inaccuracies but overall great
Barbarians - please note it’s a German show. The main character Arminius lived over 2,000 years ago. He fought for independence against the Romans by uniting the Germanic tribes. Ultimately he failed. However, the Germans still liked to promote him as a true and first real aryan of superior race fighting against those that wished to spoil their pure blood
Netflix is trying to rewrite the way he was viewed in history by choosing a dark haired character. Controversial all around.

Disclaimer I’m not saying any of the shows are appropriate for a Bas Yisroel, do your own research.

amother
Bellflower

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:14 am
Dr quinn!

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 6:17 am
Looooooved Hamilton. Not a show but spectacular

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:42 am
amother Bellflower wrote:
Dr quinn!

Ooh never heard of it! Thanks for the recommendation!

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:43 am
bsy wrote:
Looooooved Hamilton. Not a show but spectacular

Yes it is. Have you watched it on stage?

Just saw Newsies on stage and omg that was WOW.

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 10:57 am
amother OP wrote:
Yes it is. Have you watched it on stage?

Just saw Newsies on stage and omg that was WOW.

Saw the original broadway on Disney plus

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:03 pm
bsy wrote:
Saw the original broadway on Disney plus

You must watch in person. It’s amazing!

bsy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:11 pm
amother OP wrote:
You must watch in person. It’s amazing!

"It must be nice .... It must be nice....." But not likely to happen any time soon. I have little kids bh and not much spare time alone. I know the show by heart though.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:15 pm
amother OP wrote:
And which did you hate?

Hated- brigerton such a misrepresentation of history

These shows have a very lose translation of history but I still throughly enjoyed:
Reign
Vikings - characters if 2 different centuries are magically brothers…
Vikings vallhala
La Revolution- rewriting the French Revolution
Poldark
Outlander

More accurate:
Reign
The crown
Victoria
Downtown abbey
Call the midwife
The spy- featuring Eli Cohen
The last kingdom - the main character is fictional, lots of other inaccuracies but overall great
Barbarians - please note it’s a German show. The main character Arminius lived over 2,000 years ago. He fought for independence against the Romans by uniting the Germanic tribes. Ultimately he failed. However, the Germans still liked to promote him as a true and first real aryan of superior race fighting against those that wished to spoil their pure blood
Netflix is trying to rewrite the way he was viewed in history by choosing a dark haired character. Controversial all around.

Disclaimer I’m not saying any of the shows are appropriate for a Bas Yisroel, do your own research.

I liked:

Reign
The last kingdom (not recommended if you don’t like bad language, violence, or zexual content)
Outlander
Victoria (I wish there had been more)
Downton Abbey
Call the midwife

I like Bridgerton, but I never looked at it as a historical show. It was just for entertainment.

Never heard of barbarians. How is it in terms of language and zexual and violent content?

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:19 pm
I thought the talent in both newsies and Hamilton was incredible, but I didn’t like either show enough to watch a second time. I absolutely loved the Disney movie newsies, which is probably why I didn’t like the show.

Another show I like, which is purely for entertainment and not historical accuracy, is the original quantum leap. I never watched the new one, so I don’t know how it compares.

jayle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:20 pm
Loved Poldark
Just finished watching cathedral of the sea and it's continuation Heirs to the land, it's set in Spain in the 14th century one sees what the Jews went thru.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:20 pm
Ema of 5 wrote:
I liked:

Reign
The last kingdom (not recommended if you don’t like bad language, violence, or zexual content)
Outlander
Victoria (I wish there had been more)
Downton Abbey
Call the midwife

I like Bridgerton, but I never looked at it as a historical show. It was just for entertainment.

Never heard of barbarians. How is it in terms of language and zexual and violent content?

We have the similar tastes. It compares to the last kingdom I guess 😂

You might enjoy Poldark it’s much cleaner.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:21 pm
jayle wrote:
Loved Poldark
Just finished watching cathedral of the sea and it's continuation Heirs to the land, it's set in Spain in the 14th century one sees what the Jews went thru.

Ooh thanks for that! I watched heir to land. Didn’t know there was a continuation.

**runs to check it out ***

Excuse me for a moment

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:23 pm
Regarding Bridgerton, it was never meant to be historical and has never represented itself as such. It's just meant to be "old timey" with balls and royalty and courtship and pretty dresses, but it never claimed any sort of historical accuracy (though yes, it's set in the regency era and is thus inspired by it).

I really loved The Gilded Age, it was also written by Julian Fellowes (the writer of Downton Abbey). Fellowes also wrote a 6 episode miniseries called Belgravia that I liked a lot. The Empress on Netflix was great, but it was originally in German and is dubbed in English, so it looks a little weird with the mouths and the voices not syncing up, but I otherwise really liked it.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:26 pm
Also the Spanish princess was good

There was another one, I’m trying to remember what it was it was three parts, and I watched them backwards because I didn’t know the others existed….an English one….

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:27 pm
The white Queen
The white princess
The Spanish princess seasons 1&2

But not good if your not okay with very explicit content and nudity.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:28 pm
Ok I’m back.

Can’t wait to watch that! Added to my list.

Beauty queen of Jerusalem mixed emotions on that show

Anne with a E was ruined for me with the 21st century progressiveness

The Last Czars was an excellent document-series representing the true story of the terrible last czar without any fake tears

Alias Grace was superb but scary too (I don’t mind battles and blood and fire but nurse mysteries creep the h-ll out of me)

Reality

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:29 pm
Why don't you try watching historical reality shows?

Tales from the Green Valley
Coal House
Coal House at War
Edwardian Farm
Victorian Farm

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:29 pm
There was also the white princess and the white queen, but I don’t think that’s what I was talking about….

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 2:32 pm
amother OP wrote:
Ok I’m back.

Can’t wait to watch that! Added to my list.

Beauty queen of Jerusalem mixed emotions on that show

Anne with a E was ruined for me with the 21st century progressiveness

The Last Czars was an excellent document-series representing the true story of the terrible last czar without any fake tears

Alias Grace was superb but scary too (I don’t mind battles and blood and fire but nurse mysteries creep the h-ll out of me)

Yes!!! It was a favorite series of mine, and I watched the movies too, and now it’s just…..yuck :-(
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics