Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
If you like history what shows have you enjoyed?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:32 am
amother DarkGreen wrote:
Regarding Bridgerton, it was never meant to be historical and has never represented itself as such. It's just meant to be "old timey" with balls and royalty and courtship and pretty dresses, but it never claimed any sort of historical accuracy (though yes, it's set in the regency era and is thus inspired by it).

I really loved The Gilded Age, it was also written by Julian Fellowes (the writer of Downton Abbey). Fellowes also wrote a 6 episode miniseries called Belgravia that I liked a lot. The Empress on Netflix was great, but it was originally in German and is dubbed in English, so it looks a little weird with the mouths and the voices not syncing up, but I otherwise really liked it.

Where can I watch the gilded age and belgravia?

Yes! I love the empress a lot. She was a real nutter . I’m used to watching lots of shows in other languages.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:34 am
amother Mauve wrote:
The white Queen
The white princess
The Spanish princess seasons 1&2

But not good if your not okay with very explicit content and nudity.

Yes! I keep from them as recommendations but not free on prime so I haven’t done it yet…

jayle

amother OP wrote:
Ooh thanks for that! I watched heir to land. Didn’t know there was a continuation.

**runs to check it out ***

Excuse me for a moment

Heirs to the land is the continuation of cathedrals of the sea.
I watched Heirs to the land a while ago not realising that it was a continuation, then when I was watching cathedrals of the sea I realised, obviously I had to watch heirs to the land again, because I had forgotten the details.....

Ema of 5

I live watching these shows, but I can’t stand the ones with subtitles, in a different language.

jayle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:36 am
The cook of castamar is also good.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:36 am
Reality wrote:
Why don't you try watching historical reality shows?

Tales from the Green Valley
Coal House
Coal House at War
Edwardian Farm
Victorian Farm

Never heard of these!

Can I watch them on Amazon prime or Netflix?

I’m not in the US so not everything is available here!

I keep seeing really cool shows on Starz but I can’t make an account of the US Banging head Can't Believe It

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:38 am
Ema of 5 wrote:
I live watching these shows, but I can’t stand the ones with subtitles, in a different language.

I don’t mind that. I practically learned Spanish (don’t worry I forgot most of it) after watching a really long show.

amother
Daisy

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:42 am
I loved Lark Rise to Candleford. Very clean show. I watched quite a few but this is the first one that comes to mind.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:42 am
Anyone watched The Hunters

Season 2 came out and I don’t know if I should continue with it.

Ema of 5

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:43 am
amother OP wrote:
I don’t mind that. I practically learned Spanish (don’t worry I forgot most of it) after watching a really long show.

The only Spanish show I liked was the grand hotel/gran hotel.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:54 am
There is a website called 123 movies (that has really gross ads if you dont subscribe and pay) that I used to watch on before I blocked it.

Here are some I enjoyed
Becoming Elizabeth
Leonardo (leonardo de vinci)
Medici
Hell on Wheels
Roots
Billy the Kid
Sanditon

Reality

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 11:54 am
amother OP wrote:
Never heard of these!

Can I watch them on Amazon prime or Netflix?

I’m not in the US so not everything is available here!

I keep seeing really cool shows on Starz but I can’t make an account of the US Banging head Can't Believe It

Not Netflix.

Check Amazon Prime. They are BBC programs. I'm pretty sure some are on YouTube.

Reality

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:00 pm
amother Daisy wrote:
I loved Lark Rise to Candleford. Very clean show. I watched quite a few but this is the first one that comes to mind.

That's because it's a PBS series.

I love the master piece theatre series in general. They actually stick to the storyline of the book! I love the mini-series of many Jane Austen and Charles Dickens books.

amother
Jean

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:00 pm
wanted to add that I loved outlander so much that I read ALL the books, I am obsessed

Peaky Blinders and the english game where also good

Also loved 1883 which was spin off of yellowstone - and an inaccurate and romanticized version of the history - but I enjoyed

amother
Black

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:25 pm
Can someone list any of the above mentioned shows that are free on amazon prime? (Besides Poldark and Downtown Abbey, I watched those already, they were so goooood)

Thanks

amother
DarkGreen

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:35 pm
amother OP wrote:
Where can I watch the gilded age and belgravia?

Yes! I love the empress a lot. She was a real nutter . I’m used to watching lots of shows in other languages.

I think HBO max, can't remember for sure. Gilded Age only has one season so far but they're currently filming the second one, so of you end up loving it as much as I did, you won't be waiting too long for more.

amother
Thistle

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:39 pm
Versailles

But it is very explicit. So, don’t watch if you’re sensitive to nudity and violence.

amother
Mauve

Post Wed, Jan 11 2023, 12:45 pm
amother OP wrote:
Yes! I keep from them as recommendations but not free on prime so I haven’t done it yet…

Starz offers a free trial on prime but idk if option where you are

Polldark is free on prime in canada, Versallies was good prime only had first two seasons

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 1:13 pm
amother Mauve wrote:
Starz offers a free trial on prime but idk if option where you are

Polldark is free on prime in canada, Versallies was good prime only had first two seasons

Starz not available in the uk yet I get the ads all the time 🤔

Loved Poldark!

Just saw that Vikings Valhalla 2 came out today 😀

imacoolmom

Post Thu, Jan 12 2023, 2:41 pm
amother Jean wrote:
wanted to add that I loved outlander so much that I read ALL the books, I am obsessed

Peaky Blinders and the english game where also good

Also loved 1883 which was spin off of yellowstone - and an inaccurate and romanticized version of the history - but I enjoyed

I am obsessed with 1883- now there’s a new one called 1923 another Yellowstone spinoff also really good.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics